Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       09-29-2010, 8:33 AM Reply   
Looking for some ideas. Every year I take the fam on a vacation over xmas week somewhere. We've been to Cancun, Caymans, Costa Rica, Naples, Puerto vallarta and now looking for a new spot. I perfer outside the USA and thinking Belize, Honduras or Cabo. Has anyone been to either of these places? Any other ideas would be highly welcome.

We stay very active during these vacations with things like surfing, boat charters, fishing charters, zip line, sky diving and would be cool to wake or wake surf, so looking for those kind of spots. Thanks!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-29-2010, 9:10 AM Reply   
Costa rica is another good spot. I travel on/off for work, so for vacation, I only go to places I can get to with direct flights out of houston, lol......at least for now....
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-29-2010, 9:26 AM Reply   
These questions are frequently asked in the non wakebboarding section of WW. You'll get a lot of answers there.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       09-29-2010, 9:26 AM Reply   
^^^ I went to Manuel Antonio in Costa Rica and loved it, just looking for a different spot now. Direct flight is also important but not a deal breaker.
Old     (shane97210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-29-2010, 9:42 AM Reply   
I just got back from Roatan, Honduras. Small island in the Caribbean 20 miles from the mainland. Direct 2.5 hrs from houston. No surfing, but tons of diving, fishing charters, island hopping (Cayos Cochinos, Utilla), zip lines, good food, culture, and its half the price of Costa. I stayed in a two bedroom with kitchen, ac, small pool, on the water for $300 a week. Safe, and you don't need to speak Spanish.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-29-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
Antarctica. The sun seems like it never sets and the Orcas keep the sharks away. The water's not perfect for surfing, but where else can you snowboard on the hottest summer day.
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-29-2010, 1:16 PM Reply   
I went on a cruise that stopped at Belize. We were only there long enough to go on an inner tube expedition through caves. It was pretty cool but wish there would of been more current on the river.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-29-2010, 1:59 PM Reply   
I have a time share at Captain Morgans on Amberguis Caye in Belize. Love it! I am pretty sure you can rent there as well.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       09-29-2010, 3:21 PM Reply   
spent xmas in cabo last year - was great & SUPER HOT!!!!!!!!
Dreams Los Cabos
Attached Images

Old     (malibupilot)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-29-2010, 3:22 PM Reply   
Ixtapa is really nice.... but Mexico scares me these days. Grand Caymans are very nice but kind of expensive.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-29-2010, 4:27 PM Reply   
Cabo Azul Resort in Cabo.

I could attach my entire photo album of this resort, but just google image search cabo azul.
Im a pool/spa/waterfeature contractor, mainly high end... this pool(s) blew my mind for a resort.
3 different perimeter overflow pools spilling into eachother- one warm, one cool, one cold. several spas and a fantastic day spa. Our room was huge with sliding glass panel walls onto our balcony with outside day beds. Great concierge, awesome restaurants on site, walking, and by taxi.

AMAZING... we'll definitely be back.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       09-30-2010, 4:34 AM Reply   
^^ do you know if this resort has villas? we would prefer to rent a house or villa where we can all stay
Old     (0klahoma_Breakdown)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-30-2010, 5:53 AM Reply   
Try VRBO.com for home rentals. Also I came across this website just yesterday. It kind of breaks down all of the Carribean islands based on activity, safety landscape etc. http://www.frommers.com/destinations...217020877.html
I thought it was most interesting that the author described Curacao as having one of the most charming towns in the Carribean.
I work for an online travel company so we get out a lot but honestly our favorite spot is the town of Puerto Morelos only 12 miles south of the Cancun airport. It has an amazing beach, coral reefs only 50-75 yards off the beach and one of the most laid back, secure feeling atmospheres around. There are restaurants with bars but this place is very laid back. If you want to party you can take a cab to Playa or Cancun.

Good luck!
Old     (burtonrider77)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-01-2010, 6:24 PM Reply   
check this out. this guy bought a boat from us and is really cool. its not cheap but it could be one of the best spots in the world.

casacosmos.com
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-02-2010, 1:03 PM Reply   
don't know about Costa Rica, Naples, or Puerto but Jamaica mann is one of the best islands in the carribean, the people are relentless, but the island is very cool.
and Aruba has a lot of sports activities, but have never been there. I saw a wakeboard boat at the grand cayman island but would not think it would work too well on the ocean, never have seen the ocean very flat.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-02-2010, 1:49 PM Reply   
Another vote for Ambergris Caye! That place is my heaven

Fishing is outstanding! Lots of cool dive/snorkel spots. Lots of Mayan ruins (worth a trip if you go) Excellent food and local beer. Nowhere to surf or wake really that I've seen.

Stayed at the Journey's End once and then rented the other times

Last edited by bac; 10-02-2010 at 1:59 PM.
Old     (craig_f)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-02-2010, 8:27 PM Reply   
+1 for Aruba. Decent surfing, GREAT kiteboarding (look up Armando Wester at kitesurfingaruba.com)
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-04-2010, 3:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jame04 View Post
^^ do you know if this resort has villas? we would prefer to rent a house or villa where we can all stay
How many people? The "room" we had would easily sleep 6...and more if there were kids that didnt mind couches or even outside on the day beds under the stars. I know they have penthouses bigger than what we had with (I believe) spas and outdoor kitchens on the patio. These rooms were entire floors on the top level of a tower with balconies on at least 3 sides.