Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-22-2005, 5:20 PM Reply   
Does any one have them? I saw that Malibu is offering heated drivers seat. I was thinking about adding them to my boat.

I was wondering what kind of voltage/amp draw they took. And I was wondering if it dryes out the vynil.
Old    dahui            09-22-2005, 5:27 PM Reply   
They have been doing them on cars for years so I would think they have it dialed in as far as voltage/amp. That Vinyl is made for the sun so I wouldnt think it should hurt. G for it. It would be nice after riding in cold water and then being able to drive and stay toasty.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-22-2005, 5:43 PM Reply   
putting heaters in the passenger seats would be sweet
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       09-22-2005, 7:56 PM Reply   
Heated seats are offered in all new and 05 Bu's. The heater coil is located in the bottom of the seat not in the lumbar area as indicated by the picture in the sales brochure. I believe the warmer functions off of the heat exchanger for the main heater. Sometimes when we are idling into the marina in Disco Bay it cools off a bit, but if you keep your RPMS above 1000 (like when your riding) it works very well. It's great for early morning rides.

I got a dry suit and my wife got the seat warmer.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-22-2005, 8:26 PM Reply   
Conway's boat has one. DOPE! Just the driver seat I believe.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-22-2005, 8:44 PM Reply   
My suv has them and I would never buy another car/truck without it. However, hope to god they never go out on you after the warranty runs out. Mucho expensive to have replaced. Have to take the entire skin off the seat, install new elements and put skin back on. Mine went out in the truck and would have cost me 1000 bucks.
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-22-2005, 11:04 PM Reply   
Grant, for what it will cost to add them to your boat, I;d just put sheep skin seat covers on (so they'll smell a bit when they get wet...you'll get used to it)
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-22-2005, 11:18 PM Reply   
I've got the heated driver's seat on the new Malibu and it's fantastico! I've used it a few times on cool summer mornings, but haven't had a chance to use it through the winter yet.
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-23-2005, 6:14 AM Reply   
I have installed several aftermarket heated seat systems in cars/trucks element gets mounted into foam rightunder seat cover very simple to wire and draws3-4 amps per seat(two elements). Be cautious though they get very hot where they touch the foam. the foam in cars is fire resistant and much more dense than what I have seen under boat skins. Also the kits I used have an temp sensor in them to prevent overheating. Kit for 2 seats (4 elements, 2 modules,and wireing) cost me $190.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-23-2005, 9:10 AM Reply   
Brad how can you know if the foam in my Nautique is Fire proof? The foam is very dense and smooth. Im sure most manafactures us a similiar foam.
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-23-2005, 11:34 AM Reply   
Grant, it sounds like the same stuff as in a car. When I took my Tige seat apart it was open cell foam, real spongy prolly not fire retardent. So I decided against installing the heaters instead i sewed them into a seat cover and put closed cell foam under that now in winter I just put the seat cover on drivers seat and connect the wires.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-23-2005, 11:57 AM Reply   
Yes I understand about closed cell foam Im shure the seets are closed cell foam. The kits that I have been seeing on the net look like they are in a heating blanket so the heating element would never come in contact with the foam. The say the are insulated a carbon fiber blanket surrounded by material. Did you have to cut the foam away and make a recess for the heating element so that it sit's flush in the foam?
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-23-2005, 12:11 PM Reply   
It is for real, and it is great! I turned it on the other day, my back was sweating in less than 5 min.

Come winter I need to get back on the WakeWorld 2006 WSVLX to enjoy heated seats while driving the one of the best handling boats I have ever driven. And that my friends is a fact by the way!
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-23-2005, 12:24 PM Reply   
Most seats I did not have to cut because the element is very thin. I just measured one for a jeep gr. cherokee measures .293 inch the actual element is very thin wire incased in a thin wolven fabric and some foam looks like Kevlar? but not carbon fiber. You do have to cut out a piece of foam to keep the wire flush. Also you may want to cut down the foam for the element because it will not be covering the whole seat as in an automotive application. Oh yea the elements are adhesive backed the warning on the paper protecting the backing that you peel off says that if any paper is left on the element it will start a fire. claims surface temp over 400 degrees
Old     (onamission)      Join Date: May 2002       09-23-2005, 1:08 PM Reply   
The company that makes the Malibu heated seat is Check Corp. http://www.checkcorp.com/seat_heater/default.asp
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-27-2005, 7:54 PM Reply   
I orderd some heated seat inserts for the drivers and passenger side. Ill post some photos when I get them.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-28-2005, 1:03 AM Reply   
Keep us updated Grant!

Brad, can you post some pics of your solution on your Tige?

Thanks
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-06-2005, 9:41 AM Reply   
Ok the seat heaters came in. We are now a dealer and sell the Check Corp seat heaters. The same heaters that you can get as option in the Malibu's

I installed the elements in the seats and ran them for a few hrs as a test. The units that I got are a 2 setting Hi and Low. The low setting is warm and feels good. The High setting is "Da Bomb" They get real tostey I could see them working out great on a cold winter day or late at night. I sat in the seat watching TV for a hour and didnt want to get out, LOL The units have a auto turn off so after 1 hour they units auto turn off. Each seat draw's 2-1/2 amps and all the control unts are sealed so water wont be a problem. The stock switch is a rocker with a led that changes color for High and Low. This switch is not a water proof switch. So you can eiter use a water proof switch or mount it some where where its not gonna get drenched. Im gonna use the provided rocker switch and mount it in a some what dry spot.

Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-06-2005, 11:06 AM Reply   
Is this a special marine heater? What will it retail for?
Old    robertt            10-06-2005, 12:02 PM Reply   
Would one of these work??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Seat-Heaters-Car-Truck-SUV-OEM-Seat-Heater-NR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33701QQitemZ80049135 92QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-06-2005, 1:55 PM Reply   
yeah whats the price??
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       10-06-2005, 2:46 PM Reply   
You puttin' one in the observer seat too? Hmm.. looks intriguing, especially if the price is right!!
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-06-2005, 5:04 PM Reply   
Grant hook a brother up, I am in Michigan and the temp droped 20 degrees today High of 64 on Sunday. Let me know if I can buy some from ya.
itch
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-06-2005, 6:59 PM Reply   
Rob: to be honest, I dont know what the heaters your link will and will not work in. I know this. I wouldnt mess with anything that is not proven, The heaters Im using have been used in boats for 3 years. The last thing ya want is a problem with somthing like this.

Call Clay at the shop, He can hook ya up with a price. It depends on how many your installing. single or dule heater's. http://www.soundillusionsaudio.com
Their is 3 diffrent seat heater packages
Standard (1 temp)
Luxury (2 temps)
Premium(3 temps)
all heaters have a 3 year warranty

Joe Yes I put one in the passenger seat. Yea hows that gonna sound sorry honey I didnt have enought $ for the seat heater for your side. LOL

Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-06-2005, 7:59 PM Reply   
Grant hook a squid up. Can we do some horse trading?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-06-2005, 9:05 PM Reply   
Ok: Squid Ill take some wakeboard lessons from you
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-06-2005, 10:03 PM Reply   
Grant, lessons are free that is my favorite part about riding helping others progress. Seeing others land that trick for the first time stokes me as much as landing a new trick myself.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-06-2005, 10:42 PM Reply   
what the number? with me moving to Wa in Feb this would come in handy.........

Can't offer lesson though cause I'll only make ya worse.......LOL
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-07-2005, 8:54 PM Reply   
Grant, when we gonna ride? I need to try before I buy.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-07-2005, 9:15 PM Reply   
Tim next week Mc Clure. I just finished. They are awesome
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-08-2005, 7:47 AM Reply   
Grant That is sweet. You da mack.

When I bought my MALIBU, I was told that if someone that is wet and sits on the heated seat, that the dye from the shorts might bleed and stain the vynil, so I didnt opt for that option, But like you said when its cold outside your butt n back are warm.

Hey what about a back and butt massager built into the seats
Old     (onamission)      Join Date: May 2002       10-08-2005, 9:46 AM Reply   
No stains on our heated seat and as for the back massager Check Corp. has them too.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-08-2005, 10:36 AM Reply   
grant, excellent!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-08-2005, 10:38 AM Reply   
Where ever there is a stich I can see water coming threw. But I cant see how it would make a stain. Most of the time we have a towel on the seat So I dont see that much water coming threw. And at night when your going to be using them most I dont think you will be sitting on them with a wet suite. Im guessing when you have them turned on you will be wraped in a towel or have some clothes on.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-10-2005, 12:37 PM Reply   

Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-11-2005, 10:05 AM Reply   
wow, supa pimp
Old     (sound_illusions)      Join Date: May 2005       10-15-2005, 5:52 PM Reply   
Hey I have some prices for the heated seats. There are 3 kits.

Standard Kit 1 setting $129
Luxury Kit 2 settings $149
Premium Kit 3 Settings $180

Each kit comes with 2 elements one for the back rest and one for the seat. Kits are pretty easy to install. All kits have a 3 year warranty

Also massage kits. (you will need this after trying your new trick)Each kit has 4 motors and 20 settings with heat included. The massage kits are built on the Premium heat kit. Each seat $300

(Message edited by sound_illusions on October 15, 2005)
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-15-2005, 6:48 PM Reply   
bling bling!