Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-06-2005, 9:41 AM Reply   
Guys. I was only able to land one HS 5, and now I'm getting pulled over the front of the board as a land. As soon as i stomp down, the board stops and I get ejected over the front. Rotation and handle passes aren't a problem. I should also mentioned that I can only spin into the flats. I can't go W2W.

Help?
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-06-2005, 10:34 AM Reply   
try edging softer.
Old                07-06-2005, 11:52 AM Reply   
maybe this is just a theory, but try taking your has 180's really big into the flats, and remember exactly how you left the wake (weight on what foot, etc...) and how you are landing (weight on what foot, handle placement, etc...). then relate that to your 540. maybe that could help? its worth a shot.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-07-2005, 7:26 AM Reply   
Hmmm..good idea.

I'm not really edging hard now.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-07-2005, 10:14 AM Reply   
I think Cody is probably right. If you can't take your 180's big to the flats, odds are you're not going to be able to land a 5 out in the flats.

Another thing that might help is to do that big 180 and grab with your back hand (indy, stale), or at least drop your back hand from the rope in the air. Then, you'll have to replicate the transfer of the rope from front to back hand like you'll have to do on the 5.

Good luck. That's a hard trick. I've only been able to do it off the DU, but want to learn it w-to-w.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-08-2005, 8:18 AM Reply   
Brian,

I do all of those things. I do big 180s into the flats grabbed all sorts of different ways. I do a shifty indy, to late front side in the flats too.

I'm wondering if maybe I'm not keeping the handle in close enough.
Old                07-08-2005, 9:14 AM Reply   
it sounds like you are landing with way to much weight on your front foot, causing you to get ejected.

from "the book"
pitch your board over a little bit that way on your way down you will get over your toes. try putting a little more weight on your back foot.

another tip suggested: do a wake jump and let go of the handle with your back hand, then regrab the handle and turn a late fs 180.

keep the handle close to your body when you pop off and land. use a seated position so you go more up.

seems like all of this stuff would work to help. good luck man.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-10-2005, 2:07 PM Reply   
Welp....almost landed one ts and hs Saturday. On the 2cd hs attempt I destroyed my ankle. Looks like I'll be resting for a while.

The problem was that I wasn't keeping the handle in close enough while passing. I kept it in tight and landed on the center of the board.
Old                07-10-2005, 7:04 PM Reply   
J-Rod, thats too bad about your ankle. Once it's healed I am sure you will land it...
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-13-2005, 4:42 PM Reply   
Another way to solve this problem is to rotate past five. If you rotate heel five and don't land on edge you will experience the problem you were having. Try rotating farther and landing on edge.
Old     (the_pimp)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-19-2005, 8:30 AM Reply   
Dude, I have been trying HS5's for over a year and only now am I just getting them. Got one last night first attempt w2w.

I find the key is:
1) Not too much edge - cut out really wide then cost in on soft edge (you can forget about your edge/speed then and concentrate on spinning/passing/landing)
2) Really focus on popping super hard to get your height!! You may wish to carry a bit more weight to help give you a little more height to learn ...
3) Do not spin too early 'cos you'll land on your ass and then get ripped over the front - this was my problem, spin later!
4) As you pop, really think about pulling that handle in to your body hard.

I found I crashed and crashed and crashed. Then suddenly you get a little more height and it all comes together and before you know it, you land like you've just done a HS1 but you've actually done the big 5!

Have fun with it!!
The TS 5 is quite different tho and much esier!
Laters
Matt
Old     (phil06140)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-31-2005, 5:51 PM Reply   
if you can only spin into the flats try it off the double-up, when i have done my hsfs 5s off the double up they are w2w also with the added air the rotation is much easier... you might have them down by now but i hope this helps