Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-13-2007, 10:29 PM Reply   
I'm still really new to wakesurfing. I am riding an Avalanche and have it loaded with about 1600 pounds of ballast all on the port side plus usually 4-6 people. It throws a pretty nice wave to surf.

The other day we were on a mostly empty lake and having a great time. I had just jumped into the water when another boat (large boat) came by pulling two kneeboarders at slow speed. So the large boat was throwing a huge wake. The large rollers hit directly on the back/port corner of the boat and three waves went right over the back corner of my boat. My wife and kids were freeking out cause there was now 5 inches of water on the floor in the boat! The auto bilge pump kicked on and within 5 minutes we were dry again. But it was a little bit worrysome for everyone involved.

So how do you guys handle these situation? I would imagine that if we were underway in the boat that it would not happen. I also think that if the waves had hit from the bow it would not have been an issue. Do we need to just be more aware of oncoming waves and position the boat accordingly? I was wondering if the boat was just too heavy but others are using more ballast than I am... Any suggestions?

Also one other question... When I have the port side so heavy, which way should I turn around when going back to pick up my down surfer?

Thanks for your help and suggestions!
bigcatpt
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-13-2007, 11:39 PM Reply   
It's easier to turn to port when heavy to port but if you just cut throttle it doesn't matter which way you go when your wake passes you.

The rollers from the other boat just show you what overloading a boat does. It's going to happen. It wouldn't happen if you were underway enough that the bow had come up.

The only fix is to be really aware of all that's going on. If something does happen again you hopefully can give the stern a push or the driver can get the boat up. On the plus side your wife and kids now know the boat doesn't sink right away.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-14-2007, 6:02 PM Reply   
When my port side is weighted, I prefer to turn on the starboard side. I never throttle through the turn. I simply start the boat to turn right and let two rollers pass by. Then I use the throttle to pick up the surfer. If there are rollers from other boats, we move very quickly to get the surfer on board and the boat under way. You need to also beware of taking water over the bow. Try to use as much water ballast as possible instead of metal.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-15-2007, 9:32 AM Reply   
Always be aware of the other boats wake, you must be prepared to move away from the wave. And always turn towards the weighed down side. That is the rule of thumb of wakesurfing. Go to the link How to Wakesurf on wakeworlds links. Have fun and remember never turn opposite of the weighted side.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-15-2007, 11:37 AM Reply   
Never say never. I'm interested in why you would say never turn opposite of the weighted side. My boat performs better when I turn opposite the weighted side. This is especially true if I need to hurry back to the rider. Turning the opposite also takes on my rollers better. Shouldn't this be judged on the boat being used. Your boat might be better turning into the weight but my boat doesn't. I fully agree with your first statement about being aware of other boats.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-15-2007, 4:49 PM Reply   
If you turn with the low side of the boat on the outside of the turn the vent will probably take on water. If you turn too fast you might even push the outside corner of your stern under water if you are heavily ballasted.

I’ve driven a VLX and an Avalanche both weighted for surfing. With a slight nudge both boats readily whip around with the low side on the out side. My boat only gives the driver a slight notion that it wants to turn with the low side on the outside. If I was in a hurry to pick up a rider, perhaps when another boat is bearing down on my downed rider I might turn the other way.

My boat has low gunnels and I ballast the heck out of it - Roy knows. I always turn with the low side on the inside. I turn this way to prevent pushing water in the vents or driving my stern under water.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-16-2007, 3:15 PM Reply   
I agree about the vent taking on water but this is assuming the vent is on the outside of the boat. On a mastercraft the vents are in the middle of the boat in the back. My boat also turns very easily to the right when the port side is weighted. That is why I suggested the way to turn should be judged on the boat being turned instead of making a blanket statement that a boat should never be turned opposite the weighted side.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-16-2007, 8:16 PM Reply   
A little bit different subject but same topic about what to do when you have to turn the boat around to get the rider.
Whatever way you turn the boat around is good in my little world if your slow and careful about it, but when you go to pick up the rider we have found that a real smooth way to go about that is to swing the back end of your boat around to the rider rather than circling around the them. Aiming towards the rider but actually turning the boat around "before" you get to them makes it real nice for the rope bleotch to throw the roap back out while remaining seated on the weighted side of the boat. Takes a little practice to get it just right but its actually kinda fun.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-18-2007, 9:48 AM Reply   
Hey go ahead and turn which ever way you like, I am just saying with close to 2300 pounds on one side my rub rail is underwater, and you run the risk of taking on a few gallons if you are not careful, and as far as the rollers go when you turn you should throttle down let the rollers pass and turn the wheel , rollers will actually push your stern around and then head towards the fallen rider. It also keeps the lake smooth. power turns suck. anyway have fun surfing, hope your season is not over yet, mine certainly is not. I trust the guys at Inland Surfer here in the PNW, so basically this is where I get all my information. I suggest if you have any questions to check them out. no hard feelings, hope none were taken.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-18-2007, 5:44 PM Reply   
It's kind of hard to power turn when weighted heavily for wakesurfing. I've never power turned when set up for wakesurf.

I heard a funny thing about wakes from a sculling rower last week. He said that he was rowing in the wake of a 9.9 hp, 12 foot john boat. The John boat was a head of the rower and a little further from shore. The rower had a such a difficult time with the small wake that he stopped rowing until the john boat was sufficiently ahead of his position that the wakes didn't interfere.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-18-2007, 5:46 PM Reply   
Blaze1, no hard feelings taken. My point was to point out that the boat and weight can play a roll in which way you turn. My ballast on the port side is around 1100 lbs. Been surfing for three years and I have never taken on water. Fully agree about power turns. My goal is to create as little wake as possible when I turn. Going surfing this weekend!