Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (mxracer183)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-25-2009, 12:25 PM Reply   
Hello everyone!

I began wakesurfing this year and loves it!

I currently have two board a hyperlite broadcast 5'6`` and a phase five 4' 5`` (don't know wich model)

The broadcast his really easy to surf I can move on the wave a lot but it seem I'm limited to progress since it's so big...

the phase five seem too small for me, I can let go the rope but cannot afford only a slight mistake because I loose the wave...I have to stay on the nicest spot only

I am 200 pounds 5' 11'' My wave his probably an average wave not that big

Should I continue to ride the phase five or I need a different board?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-25-2009, 1:57 PM Reply   
I think the question for you would be do you like surfing more Surf Style or Skim Style. The phase 5 board is a skim board and the broadcast is a more surf style board, but not a very good surf style board. Here is some video to help you, this is from a contest earlier in the year.

Surf Style James Walker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkb_2BqUgww
Surf Style Alec Wood
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru9TouVBSrQ
Surf Style, my son practicing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-KPsmaohqc

Skim Style Sean Cummings at contest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz-zAepVDVY
not one of his better runs, tough day that day, but here is a video about surf and skim, and then shows sean throw some great stuff behind my boat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89w1FwIV-_Y

I don't have much other skim videos, but I am sure drew or others can help there. If you like skim, the phase 5 is a great board, drew should be able to help you and tell you which model and size would be best for you.

If you want to stick to Surf Style, then I would recommend a board by Inland or The Walker Project. I am a dealer for the walker project, and can help you, but there are others and many other brands.

I think most in this forum will agree with one thing, you want to go with a board from a company that is a Wakesurfing company. Not a company that makes wakeboards, and also makes wakesurfers.

I am sure drew can chime in as to the right phase 5 board, I would say a Inland Sweet Spot, or a Walker Project Comp X 5.0, or a Walker Project Bullet 5.0 would work for your weight.
Old     (valsurfer)      Join Date: May 2006       08-25-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
The broadcast 5"6 was the first board on the boat 5 yr ago we rode it for a season and then got into Shred Stixx boards U will love the differents a good board makes in your riding.We had a few of the bigger models at first think it was a 5'8 Stixxtreme it was to big.Now i ride the Ja Mako 4'11 i # 230 & its a great boardUpload
Upload
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-25-2009, 2:17 PM Reply   
I apologize that I didn't mention shredstixx. I forgot about them. They make good boards, we just have never owned one, where we have had several inland boards. I forgot also to mention the SMED Wombat, also a great board. I am getting old.

RJ actually rode a thresher this weekend, had fun.
Old     (meraculus)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-25-2009, 2:30 PM Reply   
Another thing to consider is what kind of wake you have. Some wakes don't have as much push and it's harder to keep up with the boat.

The 200 pound guys I ride with had a hard time keeping up with the boat on surf style boards that were not flat as can be.
Old     (valsurfer)      Join Date: May 2006       08-25-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
Hi Robert there is so many great boards out there.I didn't mention a few other boards i had like the XBC board company that was a lame board & a few more i have sold.It took some time to fine the right board for me i love the Ja Mako.Did u guys buy that shred stixx ???
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-25-2009, 2:41 PM Reply   
No, Frank Wolter was out with us, and he got one for his kids and RJ rode it. It was a 4.11 so a bit big. RJ was able to get it up in the air, and did several stall 360s, so he had fun. I will have to post pics. He felt it was a bit slower, but not a completely fair comparison due to the size.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-25-2009, 2:41 PM Reply   
Oh, it was a thruster also.
Old     (mxracer183)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-26-2009, 5:34 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the replys,

My wake seem good since its very easy to surf the broadcast without rope but hard to compare because I never tried other boats...

I'm looking more for a skim style board but would like to have suggestion for surf board too

Thanks
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-29-2009, 5:52 PM Reply   
for your skimstyle board I'd look at the Drew Danielo Extra-Large(57") by Phase 5. The prop (the model you have) is definitely too small for you. They also have the Oogle for your size which has a rounder shape and is more forgiving but not quite as responsive as the pro shape.