Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Other Water Sports > Hydrofoiling

Old                06-29-2003, 10:34 AM Reply   
Hi, I just tried the new old air chair I found for cheap at a garage sale and had a bitch of a time trying to get up on it.

The first few times it would wobble side to side untill I just spun out and let go.
The next few times I would pull a little harder, and it would sink under the water.
The nest few times I tried leaning back a litle more and the foil kept riseing up to the surface.

Am I doing it right, and just need to work on balancing, or am I compleately wrong and need to be straightend out?

Any help would be greatly appreitiative.
Old                06-29-2003, 12:13 PM Reply   
Go very slow to start and lean very far foward and keep your arms up high. As you get more comfortable with it start leaning back slowly and moving your arms down. If you start getting out of control remember lean foward hands high. Also look at the back of the boat at ALL times.
Old                06-29-2003, 1:11 PM Reply   
ok, thanks man, i was thinking lean back hands low...lol, i was kinda wrong. mabey i'll get up tomarow!
Old                06-29-2003, 4:05 PM Reply   
Let me know how it works. I am stuck in SoCal without my ski or a boat. Ouch. Have fun.
Old     (ronnie)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-29-2003, 9:23 PM Reply   
Keep your hands on your knees and keep your body in a tight sitting position until you get up, then lean forward with your arms up to keep the ski down on the water. You don't need to go any faster than 10-12 mph or so to learn to steer, maybe a little faster if you're a big guy. Ride it on the ski until you get the hang of steering it. Move your knees to steer, you don't have to lean the ski to steer as it will probably lay you over into the water if you lean it. Then crank the speed up to 16 or so and learn to fly the foil and steer. It's very unusual at first but it will get easier. Take slow steps, you wont fly the first time you get up and stay up. Keep your body in a neutral position and try to not push down with your feet. Use your arms at first to control your altitude. Raise your arms up to lower the foil and lower your arms to raise it.
Most of all HAVE FUN!!

(Message edited by ronnie on June 29, 2003)
Old                06-30-2003, 5:58 AM Reply   
All have good advice here.

One thing to remember, this is not a 'normal' water sport. All other towed sports, you need to pull back against the boat. Not true with foiling. Ronnie has the best advice here. Basically, your posture shuiold be one of 'trying to catch up with the boat'.

Have fun!
Old     (ronnie)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-02-2003, 6:05 PM Reply   
Hmmmm...Wonder if he ever got up....
Old                07-02-2003, 9:50 PM Reply   
lol, havent been out yet, i'll let ya know when i do! but thanks for all your guys help!

(Message edited by bassboy8855 on July 02, 2003)