Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old     (jnewton7)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-15-2005, 9:02 AM Reply   
Well ive screwed around and cold weather is here, temps are threatning to dip below freezing and I haven't winterized yet. I have heard that you can use shop lights to keep the engine warm. Any quick fix suggestions?
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-15-2005, 9:40 AM Reply   
Why not winterize now?

The light bulb trick has a few disadvantages.

1) it draws power 24/7, which can add up.
2) When (not if, when) the light bulb fails, so does your protection.
3) If a blizzard causes power to go out you lose your protection, right when you needed it the most.
4) The light bulb can actually create a fire hazard.

If you need to do something tonight then put a low wattage bulb (40 or 60) in the engine compartment, making sure that the bulb is not close to anything. But plan on winterizing this weekend.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-15-2005, 9:49 AM Reply   
if you keep your boat in a garage, it needs at least a week of freezing temperatures to affect the boat temp in the garage (attached garage)

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-15-2005, 10:22 AM Reply   
or find a job further south. It was 90 degrees and sunny last sat. in Houston. Tell me more about these blizzards?
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-15-2005, 10:32 AM Reply   
Yeah the mild fall temp are gone now. Last saturday it was 85. Tonight it is gonna get down to the low 20's and w/ wind chill it will be in the single digits in Oklahoma City. Burrrr
Old     (msasser)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-15-2005, 12:17 PM Reply   
Is winterizing even needed if you are in houston?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-15-2005, 12:48 PM Reply   
Mike, in the past 6 years I've owned a boat, I've never winterized. I don't know anyone that does.
Old     (robie)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-15-2005, 2:01 PM Reply   
Adam,

Are you toying with my emotions. I hear it is suppose to get down to 32 tomorrow night. Should I not worry about it or should I go pull my plugs?
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-15-2005, 2:10 PM Reply   
you should be fine, it takes a couple days straight of under 32 degree weather to do anything. I had a few weeks where my boat was outside when temps dropped to around 18 degrees at night, it warmed back up into the sixties during the day and I had absolutely no problems. I do occasionally use a shop light as well, until the boat is gone at least.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-15-2005, 2:30 PM Reply   
Andrew, exactly what scott said...this is just a cold snap. In addition to that I keep my boat in covered storage. your a little further north than me, but nothin to worry about. Remember you engine is protected form the elements....it's not exposed to much if any wind chill.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-15-2005, 2:37 PM Reply   
Jeff,

If you have time, bring your boat up to my shop (in Malvern) tomorrow and I can winterize it while you are here. I'd be willing to meet you somewhere and do a simple winterization as well. If you can't do that, shoot me an email and I'll try to help you out on what to do. diamondlakesws@yahoo.com

(Message edited by Jon A on November 15, 2005)
Old     (robie)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-15-2005, 2:40 PM Reply   
Thanks Scott and Adam,

My boat is in storage and covered from most wind/rain but not inside. If for some reason it gets cold for a good bit, what could I do to be on the side of caution?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-15-2005, 3:11 PM Reply   
not joking when I say this...throw a blanket over the engine.....
Old     (travis_m)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-16-2005, 10:43 PM Reply   
What is winterization? I dont know if you need that in SoCal. When does it get cold here?
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-17-2005, 9:20 AM Reply   
Winterization is more than just freeze protection. If the engine is going to set for several months (3-4) the fuel should have stabilizer (run throughout the fuel system) and the cylinders should be "fogged" to prevent rust and the resulting excessive wear on restart.
Old     (monboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-17-2005, 9:38 AM Reply   
If I've drained the water out, but haven't run antifreeze through it yet, am I okay until the weekend? Usually, I get the whole thing done, but had a slight interruption this year.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-17-2005, 12:10 PM Reply   
i know how to do the antifreeze, and change the oil.

how do you "fog" the cylinders and how do you drain the water out? i have seen people say it on here plenty of times, but for a engine smarts deprived person like myself, anywhere i can read up on that? or can anyone tell me?

thanks.
Old     (michale)      Join Date: May 2004       11-17-2005, 12:24 PM Reply   
We ride all year round.so i dont have to winterize everytime i use this, http://doityourself.com/store/6836589.htm

i just wrap it around the block with a few zip ties. The heat alone in the engine compartment will keep it from freezing.
Old    lilredrider            11-20-2005, 10:07 PM Reply   
I am using a bathroom heater, u know one of those little portable ones. I rode yesterday.