Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-14-2010, 10:38 PM Reply   
just sit back and listen to that sweet sound. this kid is crazy fast!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF6ke8Iy8Lo&feature=player_embedded
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-15-2010, 6:39 AM Reply   
and this is how you ride a 85 2t

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndfbQg53KDc
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       02-15-2010, 11:47 AM Reply   
Sick, it's funny how 2-strokes give you this nostalgic feeling now! Well me at least, because I've been on thumpers since 2003 but used to ride/race 2-strokes. This Yamaha sounds super snappy.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-15-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
watch RC give it a ring a ding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PqEZXb_FvQ&feature=related
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-15-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
Those guys are serving it. That first vid is rediculous. Makes you wonder why they ever invented 4 strokes.
Old     (bg__dereks_mom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-15-2010, 12:47 PM Reply   
And this is how NOT to ride your first race. For the record, this is not my Brandon, thank God. Some guy sent him this video of the his brother in law's first race. Poor guy
://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbHIxXiFAyA
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-15-2010, 12:55 PM Reply   
In that first vid the kid is on the pipe!
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-15-2010, 1:06 PM Reply   
OMG! Becky, that had to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen ...priceless! That's the truest goon riding ever!
Old     (bg__dereks_mom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-15-2010, 1:14 PM Reply   
Ben,

I was thinking, maybe that was his truck and he was trying load up to go home after his first crash. LOL. I feel sorry for the guy.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-15-2010, 1:30 PM Reply   
Everyone starts with "goon riding". Take it easy...
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-15-2010, 1:41 PM Reply   
And here's how to ride a four stroke...

My buddy took this vid on his helmet cam a couple weeks ago on one lap of round one at Taft.

BTW he took first place in his class, not bad considering he's almost 54!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_WTa-nijaI
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-15-2010, 3:14 PM Reply   
I ride single track trails and forest roads most of the time, so not in the air much. Is it easier to whip the bike in the air or is more of a style thing?

Unreal riding!!
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-15-2010, 3:47 PM Reply   
its a scrub. its a combo of style and function. the point is to stay low, scrub speed off the face of the jump so you dont over shoot it and get back on the ground quick and back on the pipe.

this is how you scrub, the king of the scrub himself and notice what bike he's riding.....SICK!!

Upload
Upload
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-16-2010, 7:19 AM Reply   
"Makes you wonder why they ever invented 4 strokes.

If you would have seen every 4 stroke holeshot passed me on the start last weekend, you would no longer wonder. I had to pass 10 riders just to get to 3rd place, and then it was over.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-16-2010, 7:21 AM Reply   
I don't have any trouble jumping it though. This is from saturday

Upload
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-16-2010, 7:43 AM Reply   
going huge bro!!!!! strong work right there!!!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-16-2010, 10:21 AM Reply   
If you had a 450 two stroke then maybe the fight would have been more fair.

I don't know.... for racing track the 4's definitely have an advantage, but man are they more boring to ride. Just my opinion.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-16-2010, 11:29 AM Reply   
The 350SXF may change MX:
http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B 96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=E11EE12814034 6D595F140A8F82D09CD

Also note the rear suspension linkage! FINALLY!!
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-16-2010, 11:40 AM Reply   
I saw Alessi riding his 350SXF a few months ago at cycle ranch

Trace, I would think being a trail rider you would like the linkless suspension. I know I like not having to grease all the linkeage
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-16-2010, 11:46 AM Reply   
IMO the weight and maintenance advantages of the linkless suspension are minimal, but the performance sacrifice is pretty big. Linkage is way more adjustable and plush right out of the box.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       02-16-2010, 10:20 PM Reply   
Sick! Like the good old days... missing my old YZ 250 after watching that vid. You don't see or hear 2st ripping like that these days (at least around here) Even watching supercross seems different with the 4st sound.

Darren... What local areas around Seattle have you been riding?

JRod. Nice air pic. How many tracks do you have access to down there and how far is the drive. Getting crazy how far I find myself driving to ride every weekend!

Linkless suspension can be dialed in... most don't bother to respring or set sag correctly.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-16-2010, 10:46 PM Reply   
jeff, under 3 hrs here in the bay we have.

408mx and club moto, 30 min
argyl
hollister gp, only with a promoter
carnige, only with a promoter
lagrange, promoter only
the oatfield, promoter only
hangtown
e st
riverfornt
mmx
little oakie
tulare
zaca station
theres a few others around here that will only run our open for races. but we still aint got nothing on socal. that list goes on and on......
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       02-16-2010, 11:11 PM Reply   
Well we got rain. Must be nice to have some options... feels like we are getting areas shut down or limited faster than they are adding new areas to ride.

What's the deal with promoter only?? Need a sponsor of some sort?

What's the single track scene like in the bay area? Been thinking about a road trip to see some friends this summer in the bay area.... is it worth bringing the truck and scoot along?
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-16-2010, 11:32 PM Reply   
Jeff,
just did a trip out to Port Angles. It was mainly forest roads, but a great time! Three bikes, bourbon, guns and a lot of rain!!! Good man trip.
I've also done some good riding out of Crescent Bar. We go wakeboard in the morning then jump on the bikes in the afternoon. Can't wait for summer!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-17-2010, 6:50 AM Reply   
Sure linkless can be dialed in - mine is - it's just a lot more hassle. It's also less adaptable to changing conditions (terrain, track/trail, speed, weight, Camelbak/no Camelbak, etc).
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-17-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
yeah, but you got to admit not having to worry about it getting hung up on logs is pretty cool
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-17-2010, 8:21 AM Reply   
you guys are way to technical. Never mess with my suspension or my tire pressure. lol

Jeff,

The best trail riding place in Cali is Upper Lake OHV. There's probably a hundred miles of maintained single track and trail maps to guide you. For that matter, all of the best single track riding is in the mendo forest surrounding clear lake. You've got Cow Mountain OHV, Upper Lake, and Stonyford.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-17-2010, 9:03 AM Reply   
for single track, exactly what jarrod said.
basically certain tracks you can only ride when a promoter i.e. amp, cmc, cma, motowest, estreet mx etc.. promote an event/race at that track. it mainly has to do with insurance and having medical on standby. typically a promoter will run an event and you will have a sat open practice all day and sunday is race day. you can do 1 or the other or both. so those track are not open weekly for practice. or the ohv tracks you can ride daily but they suck because they are not prepped and only get a sh--y weekly groom unless a promoter comes in before the event and they bring all there tractors etc..
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-17-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
Who needs race tracks..... Ha, ha, ha.

We've got the goods around here. Tons of great trail riding. All varieties.

Last weekend we rode some whooped out jeep trails that were like 50 miles of track riding without the same obstacle twice. Burmed corners, whoops, jumps. Tight stuff, open stuff, mixxed in with huge hill climbs. It was a blast. I kept clicking for another gear, realizing I was already in fifth. Nothing like the sound of a pinned out 2 stoke, bouncing front wheel high over whoops.

Anywho.... I really like 4 strokes, too. The new Honda is suuuuper dope. Finally the frames feel compact and the motor is sweet, just not as much fun for me as a 2 stroke. That said, I'm sure if I were racing I'd be after every advantage I could get and I'm sure I'd have a 4 stroke. For now, I'll keep the thumper for my super moto bike.