Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-14-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
The guy claims only 414 original hours but hasn't cranked the boat in over a year. Says it has floor rot (as seen below) but the stringers are okay. If I check and confirm that the stringers are okay what would you give $$$ for this thing...And what steps would you take to make sure the engine isn't toast? I don't mind a little TLC but I'm no engine mechanic.
Thanks in advance

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-14-2008, 11:04 AM Reply   
nice project.. replacing floors is relatively easy if you're handy with pressure treated wood, drill, a saw and some carpet glue.. mechanical: first, borrow/buy a fake a lake or hook up water hose to bucket full of continuous water to see if boat will actually fire/turn-over? if so, then new battery(s), cap and rotor, spark plug wires, clean gas tank, clean/rebuild carb, new plugs, impellar, new belts, check compression on all cylinders, new fuel filter/fuel pump, fresh oil change, check steering/throttle linkage/cable, elbow grease and some oxidation remover will take the gel-coat back to looking bright, trailer looks ok but definitely re-lube bearings, re-carpet bunks and check tire tread depth an for any lingering cracks/cuts, if equipped with surge brakes --bleed the system and top off fluid.. make sure bilge pump works, blower works, hour meter is actually plugged in and that all guages appear to respond to input, clean pito tubes.. this is a pretty extensive list but there is plenty more you can do to make boat look/perform showroom new.. check for prop vibration when you get her in the water and it appears the upholstery needs attention as well.. i would look at NADAGUIDES.com to get low book and then deduct from that number all immediate repairs that you will have to address to make her seaworthy.. nice find man! good luck!

(Message edited by h20jnky on May 14, 2008)

Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-14-2008, 11:05 AM Reply   
stayyyy awaaaaay.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-14-2008, 11:15 AM Reply   
I would offer him $2,500 to $3,500 It's a nice boat, but a LOT of work.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       05-14-2008, 11:18 AM Reply   
It is going to cost a lot of money and a lot of time to get it the way you want it. That being said there is something to doing the project and knowing you did it the right way. I bought one that was already redone and found out that I had to do it all over a gain.

To fix the floor and carpet you are probably looking at $1000.00 if the stringers are fine.

To wetsand the entire boat is not expensive but will take a lot of time.

I don't really know how much it is going to cost to do the vynal.

If it checked out I would pay $3500 for it. Also there is a lot of work there don't expect to be putting it in the water anytime soon.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-14-2008, 11:56 AM Reply   
I paid 5k for an 1984. It included Perfect Pass, tower, Acme 542, converted to fuel injection, electric ignition, and good floors/stringers.

Interior looks to be about the same shape. If it runs and all checks out 3-3500 isnt a bad price. I looked at a bunch of these and after about 2 months of looking i found the deal i got.

Are there any gel coat cracks and where are they located?

See if the motor mount bolts feel like they are stripped out at all if so there is rot. It doesnt test the whole stringer be it will tell you something.
Old     (glasgow)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-14-2008, 1:00 PM Reply   
It's a nice looking boat, not unrepairable. but like was said alot of work. My 1988 2001 was in good shape to start with but I did all the restoring just cause i wanted it to look new. I didn't have any floor work done, cause it was fiberglass and didn't need it,but New carpet,and all my seats recovered was around $2500,and I replaced all the seat bases so no wood in them. The wet sand,buff and new decals was alittle over $1000.Just for a ref. point. My friend used some stuff on his boat that was faded called Vert Glass, and it did a good job. But that one may be faded to much for that. Good Luck if you get it.It will be a fun Project if your up to it. I have a friend that wanted to buy my 88 but wouldn't spend the money up front now he's dumping as much money and time in it then if he would have got mine, and all it needs is some water under it, it looks new. Mine is in the Classifieds under 1988 Ski nautique,It's red/White I'm asking $11K but it's Neg. if your interested.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-14-2008, 3:42 PM Reply   
I would check the motor mount bolts as mentioned and also a compression check on the engine. The gauges are pretty cheap and it is a good way to make sure you don't have any obvious major engine work. I also think it depends on how much work you want to do yourself. If you want to put the time in yourself and are somewhat handy, you can have a nice boat with a good bit of sweat equity and a smaller budget than if you pay somebody to do it.
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-14-2008, 5:25 PM Reply   
OFFER 1500 bucks!

it looks like its sat in water or it was full of water at one point.

also assume if the floor is rotted the stringers are not far behind them. floor rot is from water.

that motor looks fine. you would be suprised what the pcm motors are cabable of. I bought a nauty that had been full of salt for a year up to the crank pully, belts were stuck to them! and after i cleaned it up rebuilt the carb, changed starter the boat fired up and i put 100 hrs on it no problem!

thats why you pay extra for marine engines. they stand up to the elements better.
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-14-2008, 5:26 PM Reply   
that would be a beautiful boat once u worked out all the kinks!
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-14-2008, 6:50 PM Reply   
yeah, what is the guy looking to get out of it? I'd think I'd offer him more like 1500 and see what happens.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-14-2008, 8:02 PM Reply   
I'm with andy/onlyinboards....$1500-2000. You're looking at $4-5k in repairs, easy. And thats assuming the motor is in good shape (which I highly doubt judging from the overall neglect...I see riser leaks).

That boat looks like it sat in the weather a long time. If the floor rot is visible, you can assume the stringers are shot as well. Engine cradle lag bolts are only a small indicator stringers, you would need to drill holes in various areas to get a true idea of their condition. Just looking at it I would assume their toast. Also have to think about all the little things as I'm sure just about every system in that boat will need some level of repair/replacement...exhaust, transmission, driveshaft, steering, electrical, cooling, fuel, etc. and don't forget about the trailer (Brakes/bearings/bunks/wiring).

IMO, unless you're looking for that type of project (ground up) then I would look for one that was better cared for.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-15-2008, 8:53 AM Reply   
Raymond...you got that one in Georgia didn't you? I hate you...I called the guy right after you bought it. Perfect pass, tower and Acme for under $6K...I knew that thing wouldn't last long.

I've got him down to $2,500 but I'm thinking he'll drop to $2,000 if I've got cash. He's not advertising on any of the major sites (onlyinboards, WW, the2001, or CCfan) so I'm not sure if he knows exactly what he's got. After I check the stringers for myself I'll be more comfortable dishing out around $2K.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-15-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
if you can do the work yourself, offer him 1,500 then settle for 2,000. you won't be dissapointed after you get that boat tunning.
Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-15-2008, 10:31 AM Reply   
Buy Mine for 4500 and do No work
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-15-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
It was on the websites since august of last year.It took me a month or so to get a hold of him due to an email issue. Ya i got a kick ass deal. He had all the ballast taking out when i got it but I am doing it different. It throws a kick ass wake!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-15-2008, 12:10 PM Reply   
I can vouch for the wake on a skier. same sick pizopp.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-15-2008, 12:41 PM Reply   
Danver, you guys going out this weekend.

Sorry I missed on Monday.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-15-2008, 8:07 PM Reply   
Skier's throw a similar wake to a 2001?
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-16-2008, 10:44 AM Reply   
Don't full yourself. You can't beat the 2001 w/ 1,000 pounds of ballast for less than 10k.

The skier is a good boat, but you'll end up sinking it trying to get a nice wake.