Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       03-12-2013, 6:04 AM Reply   
So I'm itching to get my boat in the water. Its sitting in the caves in KC right now. Looking at the weather report we only have 3 days in the next 3 weeks that it will drop to or below freezing levels. Supposed to be 27 on Monday the 25th then 29 on the 26th and 32 for a low on the 27th. Then there arent any projected lows under 32. I know i've heard some of the northerners give some pretty good advice on when you absolutely need to winterize... Once my boat goes in it sits on an uncovered lift til november. Will i need to pull my drain plugs or put a heater in during this stretch?
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       03-12-2013, 6:05 AM Reply   
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...1#.UT8oDleDFyM

I found this i have AC power on my slip i could plug this in during that time. Is it even necessary?
Old     (jtiblier123)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-12-2013, 6:16 AM Reply   
I am in Florida, so I cannot help you with the time frame of when you should take the boat out, but I used to live in Louisiana and Mississippi and we would occasionally get a freeze or two over there. Only experience with cold was over there and I bought an engine compartment heater just to be safe. It is made by a company called Xtreme heaters and I love how the product works. A bit expensive, but it let me sleep well on those nights when it got really cold, knowing my engine wouldn't crack. I got the 450w. Let me know if you have any questions.

They automatically turn on when it gets colder than 40 degrees fahrenheit. If you have a plug, these heaters work really well. Just remember to set the heater under the engine but still in the engine compartment obviously (heat rises).

http://www.xtremeheaters.com
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       03-12-2013, 7:16 PM Reply   
Im in Wichita KS and Im getting mine out eathier Thursday or Friday (or both) The forecast is about done with the freeze supposedly, but hell, you never know. I wouldnt worry about it to much unless it freezes for 6-10 hours straight. I dont see it freezing again besides mayb at night for a few hours. But still for piece of mind, Id throw a heater in it if there was any doubt. How far are you from the lake?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       03-12-2013, 9:38 PM Reply   
It takes 5 minutes to drain the block... Why wouldn't you?
Old     (Mikhale)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-13-2013, 5:01 AM Reply   
where do you ride at?
Old     (ridemarktwain)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-13-2013, 5:34 AM Reply   
I'm in NE Missouri. I plan to wait a couple more weeks before I get my boat in the water.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       03-13-2013, 1:06 PM Reply   
I'm like 2 mins from the water i live in Raintree in Lees Summit. Looking at the weather it doesnt really look like there will be a freeze again ... maybe drop down a couple nights but i think i should be good to go... now hopefully the water warms up 10 degrees from monday. it was 45 degrees on monday.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       03-13-2013, 1:38 PM Reply   
45 degrees, that's child's play.

I still beg the question. You are 26, you're willing to spend $100 on supplemental heat but you are unwilling to drain your engine 'just in case'? No engine, no summer fun. Seems kind of unreasonable if you ask me. I'd understand if you were like 75 and putting the boat in for your grand-kids and you couldn't bend over, but give me a break! If you're worried, drain the block!
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       03-13-2013, 3:07 PM Reply   
Yeah I will drain the block just never done it before. not unwilling to drain it. And we dont all live in VT where you have to wear a dry suit til july.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       03-13-2013, 3:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartt3 View Post
Yeah I will drain the block just never done it before. not unwilling to drain it. And we dont all live in VT where you have to wear a dry suit til july.
You're a man, learn how

Don't own a drysuit, wakeboarded on black Friday last year, temps added to about 98... not quite the rule of 100
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-13-2013, 3:42 PM Reply   
A cheaper trick is to run a standard light bulb in the engine compartment. The boat already provides some insulation (especially if it warms up during the day) and the light bulb raises the temperature several degrees and will keep it from freezing if the outside temp doesn't dip too low.
Old     (jagermeister)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-13-2013, 3:52 PM Reply   
I wouldn't worry about it.. It takes at least 3 days in the mid 20's to cold soak an engine.. A light bulb will extend it quite a bit longer.. Here is a 24 hour chart with temp sensors being recorded.. One on the fender, one in the boat with a cover, and one in the engine compartment..

Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       03-13-2013, 5:18 PM Reply   
That's a great chart - I've wondered that before. Doesn't seem possible that an engine could hold heat that long.