Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-26-2011, 1:28 PM Reply   

Name:  IMG_7889.jpg
Views: 5193
Size:  64.4 KB
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-26-2011, 2:35 PM Reply   
awesome
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-26-2011, 4:22 PM Reply   
awesome indeed
Attached Images

Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-26-2011, 7:14 PM Reply   
what am I missing here? A system 2.0?

Last edited by the_fish; 06-26-2011 at 7:17 PM.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-26-2011, 7:17 PM Reply   
Please me dont tease me.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       06-26-2011, 9:42 PM Reply   
LP will never be the same! Please keep us up on the news as it grows.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-26-2011, 10:21 PM Reply   
What marina is this at? I was just up at wahweap Friday
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       06-26-2011, 10:28 PM Reply   
DC ~ The only marina worth supporting that has rails to ride in the marina, then pull up a stool and kill a cold one right no the water while feeling up on the best pizza there is! It's a place called (Insert Dumb and Dumber voice) ASPEN!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-26-2011, 10:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminp View Post
Please me dont tease me.
learned from the best (wakeboard industry in general). if i get my chance to be the teaser vs the tease-ee I'll take it. But no worries, I wont and can't keep it up for long (less than a week if that)... but then again, I have known about this "something" being in the works for almost 2 years now and have simply kept it bottled up till now. but I cant keep it to myself any longer especial since it is out of the bag other places.

f.y.i. I am in no way affiliated with this "something," I am just a local of the area in the know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downfortheride View Post
LP will never be the same! Please keep us up on the news as it grows.
figured it was a matter of time that Josh would find and interpret this thread. Josh knows. probably has known for a significant amount of time like me. its so fun to give hints, even if the tease only lasts a little while right?
Attached Images

Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-26-2011, 10:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
DC ~ The only marina worth supporting that has rails to ride in the marina, then pull up a stool and kill a cold one right no the water while feeling up on the best pizza there is! It's a place called (Insert Dumb and Dumber voice) ASPEN!
Oh i see... you're talking about a little place called (insert dumb and dumber voice) ANTELOPE!
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-27-2011, 7:54 AM Reply   
any more info? open to public?
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-27-2011, 8:33 AM Reply   
Does the beer flow like wine there?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-27-2011, 9:40 AM Reply   
It was and will be open to the public
Antelope has had rails in the marina the past two seasons with a winch running it... and sometimes a jet ski (but usually with a driver who would drive 5 ft from the rail not knowing better )
Had its first big debut at the last BroStock held at Powell. hyperlite riders were there putting on a show pre-bro-stock. there was a full page shot of JD web in the wake mag a while back.
check the photos and story of that event here
http://wakeboardingmag.com/photos/20...rina-rail-jam/

and wakeology used it for some team shots too
http://www.youtube.com/user/Wakeology#p/u/1/hJFNPYXmero

...and a little vid of my first time (and some other novice rail hitters) hitting those rails :P ...amateur... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMYkAY0HwjA

***NOW that you have seen the rails they had in those pictures, check out and compare the upgrades/ changes they made to those rails just recently!!! ***

Name:  IMG_7871.jpg
Views: 4719
Size:  97.5 KB

Name:  IMG_7877.jpg
Views: 4712
Size:  69.8 KB

Name:  IMG_7883.jpg
Views: 4715
Size:  60.3 KB

Name:  IMG_7880.jpg
Views: 4676
Size:  93.8 KB

Name:  IMG_7872.jpg
Views: 4680
Size:  57.3 KB

Name:  IMG_7884.jpg
Views: 4669
Size:  62.6 KB

They will be upgrading from the winch too as many of you have picked up
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-27-2011, 9:47 AM Reply   
LOOKS LIKE SO much FUN!
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-27-2011, 1:53 PM Reply   
any idea if it will be up and running this september?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       06-27-2011, 2:14 PM Reply   
Wait till he posts a pic of the kicker that's going in... I sure hope to god they require helmets, some slams is in the near future. If you scroll up 2 pics I think that's the kicker in front of the Ford truck, YIKES!

Ty ~ I have been talking with the builder and designer and they hope to have the final in testing within 2 to 3 weeks. For now it's back to the winch to keep the stoke going.
Old     (geistwatersportscom)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-27-2011, 2:16 PM Reply   
So sweet!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-27-2011, 10:21 PM Reply   
OK here is the cat that has been running around since being let loose from the bag-- an obscure/ official announcement from antelope a month back or so.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP7MZkevWk8

surprised you saw that kicker Josh. I think it is awesome how people always find things to point out in pics even when they are hidden in a sense.
Saw the kicker under construction on the beach and I was like, "Whooooaaaaahhhhh!"
They required helmets when i went in the past, but sometimes they would let people go without if they said they were not hitting the rails. probably would be good to require it no matter what and be strict about it.
Attached Images

Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       06-28-2011, 9:19 AM Reply   
Tee hee... I kind of had the insider of the kicker and a few different pics.

Also just got word they are looking to add a 40 - 60 foot flat that can be hit both ways.

Antelope Point Marina is going to be on the Wake Scene Map!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-28-2011, 11:55 AM Reply   
What is that big blue thing?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       06-28-2011, 12:19 PM Reply   
Eubanks ~ It's the tower for the dockside spool for the cable system that's going in...
Old     (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-28-2011, 1:09 PM Reply   
That's worth driving up from Mesa for the day! Awesome, I can't wait!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       06-29-2011, 4:02 PM Reply   
Russell ~ It's so worth the drive since you can session all day and they have a floating resturant and bar to have lunch and dinner. It's legit and the action is close to people watching so nobody gets bored. There's also a swim area if you bring kids.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-01-2011, 10:59 AM Reply   
Cable is something i know the least about... correct me if i am wrong, but will this not be the first (or one of the first) cables installed at a lake of significant size with a water elevation that changes drastically??

though small and remote, this little cable park might prove to be a good stepping stone
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-02-2011, 11:32 AM Reply   
Just to get this on Lake Powell is a HUGE stepping stone. I talked with them 2 yrs ago about his idea and plan and now it's coming to life.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-02-2011, 1:44 PM Reply   
Is this the final resting place for these?!

Of all the system2.0 / lil' brothers I've been on, I'm pretty sure there is no way you'll have enough room for that first hit in that location.... you'll come out of the turn and be slow, then when you get to it you'll get the awful tug that happens from the cable not being 100% tight.

... Awesome setup though, great step in the right direction. Do you know how they are powering it? Is there 3-phase power there? or trying it off a 220?.... or even a generator?

My advice is to move that first hit back a bit though
Attached Images

Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-02-2011, 4:38 PM Reply   
I'm sure they will have to make a few adjustments when the kicker and 40' flat bar goes in. I'm excited to see the progress this Fri!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-02-2011, 10:26 PM Reply   
looks can be a bit deceiving in that picture i think (but, again, i know little about cable... never rode one in fact, only winch a few times)

Nick, would you say the rail is still too close judging from the third pic posted on this thread?

but either way, i am sure they will work it out. this system will be a unique thing and powell grown so there may be some differences

as for power, i am not sure how it is powered, but there was a humming noise of power coming from the tower on the dock... and i have this pick that has a portion of the electrical box in the shot, if it helps figure it out?
Attached Images

Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-02-2011, 11:40 PM Reply   
Me and that Rainbow have a date in T minus 6 days!

Jeremy ~ So have you threw a session since the winch has been hooked back up?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-03-2011, 9:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Me and that Rainbow have a date in T minus 6 days!

Jeremy ~ So have you threw a session since the winch has been hooked back up?
Nope, have not been out there since the pics last week, but i plan to go check it out for updates and take more pics (if there is something that has changed) before church today.
got a busy day and week ahead... i'll see what happens
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-03-2011, 12:23 PM Reply   
How is the water quality since it is in the marina? Spending many of summers in Wahweap, I wouldn't want to ride in that water. Antalope probably is better since it essentially in the main river channel.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-03-2011, 3:27 PM Reply   
This is from Nordic Wake Park

... this kicker below is almost pushing the limits of how close and obstacle can be to the corner.... you've got to think you'll keep at least 25+ ft. for the end for the actual corner/safety stop..... then after you make the swing it takes the boarder a few seconds to get back to 100% speed and then since the cable isn't super tight, the corner makes the actual cables that connect the towers "bounce" and the rider can certainly feel that bounce/tug.... so you have to wait until that passes to try an Air trick/hit an obstacle otherwise that tug will wreck you.

-- below is the kicker that is pushing the limits of how close you can be - you can guess where the tower is from the rocks in the background making the corner
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-03-2011, 4:15 PM Reply   
So taking a look as these pics and dreaming of me shredding the Shizz out of it, should I be day dreaming of me shredding clockwise or counter clockwise???
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-03-2011, 4:46 PM Reply   
They are using the one tower as a winch apparently... but it was not running when i went down to check things out. i guess the line snapped (just a typical winch rope) and they were also adjusting one of the rails.
this was deja vu for me. reminiscent of when i first was trying to go check out the winch a couple years back. it wasn't till the 6th or 7th time going out to antelope that i finally was able to try the winch. the winch was either broken, the weather was bad, and/or the employees went home an hour or more early... i really hope i don't have a repeat of bad luck with this thing.

anyway... the kicker is in the water now
Attached Images

Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-04-2011, 12:08 AM Reply   
Cire ~ It's legit, come over!

Jeremy ~ That's what you get with something new and the time it takes to figure it out. I will be there on Fri and pressing for this to be 50% running. That kicker looks legit and people are going to slam!

I wonder how hard they will press to get the full cable in since running the one tower pull system? Hope to have an update soon!

Last edited by downfortheride; 07-04-2011 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Just being awesome!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-04-2011, 8:50 AM Reply   
Quote:

Jeremy ~ That's what you get with something new and the time it takes to figure it out. I will be there on Fri and pressing for this to be 50% running. That kicker looks legit and people are going to slam!
I'll be sure to not bring my bad luck on friday then... haha. but then again, it might be a good day to meet up. i might have to see if my buddy in town is available that day. we always hit the lake saturday mornings and if your around then too we are dying to ride with people all the time. hopefully this rail park will change that a little and help introduce more local riders that we can call on for our "thirds pool"
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-04-2011, 10:23 PM Reply   
Jermy ~ I'm pressing them to have things going and if not I'm sure I can convince them to use the ski to make dreams come true! First off I'm down there to wax my houseboat then time to play. Sat we leave for a week trip on the lake and we all know your boat has to look pimp for the trip.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-05-2011, 9:39 AM Reply   
I guess I'm not fully understanding the setup. Is this going to be a full circular cable or a two-tower system or both? That big blue tower looks like a glorified winch system.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-05-2011, 11:15 AM Reply   
David ~~ The Main goal would be a 2 tower system so riders can go both ways. Right now it looks like only one tower is done and in the water so yes it's looking like a glorified winch system with now.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-05-2011, 11:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebuddy View Post
That's worth driving up from Mesa for the day! Awesome, I can't wait!
Hopefully by spring break of 2012 Mesa will have their own.... 1440 Cable Factory.
That will be worth the drive from Peoria
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-05-2011, 11:47 AM Reply   
So how do you run the handle back? Swim it?! :-)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-05-2011, 11:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubanks01 View Post
So how do you run the handle back? Swim it?! :-)
pretty sure they use a jetski as before. but even if there was no jetski someone could easily run down the dock with it and their board then jump in.

Josh-
good luck and have fun on your upcoming trip
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-06-2011, 4:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
They are using the one tower as a winch apparently...
I was under the impression it was a system 2.... so when I said that one rail was too close, I was thinking someone had to make the corner and then try and setup for it.... since its a winch setup it should be just fine
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-06-2011, 10:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
I was under the impression it was a system 2.... so when I said that one rail was too close, I was thinking someone had to make the corner and then try and setup for it.... since its a winch setup it should be just fine
some time in the future the other tower will be added though and it will be [I]like[I] a system 2
Old     (kmehrkens)      Join Date: Sep 2010       07-06-2011, 7:22 PM Reply   
A two tower setup there would be saweeet!!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-06-2011, 11:11 AM Reply   
Have not posted to this in a while.
Rode the rails the first time ever while participating in the "3rd annual grinch winch competition" which was habitually named the same as previous years when they had a grinch winch installed. BUT the new... how should i call it... "cable winch tower" was not being used for the competition as it takes a long time to pull the cable out each time so a jetski was used. I entered last minute due to the vibes and temptation in the air despite having little to no experience with the antelope park. I am glad i did, it was pretty fun and i actually, surprisingly came away with the third prize.
Anyway, here is a little vid from that event that antelope posted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTLHlA8INbA There is one gnarly hit on the rainbow that is worth watching (0:21mark). it kinda shows how the angles of the ramps on the side are probably not the best creating a place to get hung up pretty bad if you fall of at the wrong time and way. but then again, i know sooo little about rails.

Last saturday i rode the new cable winch tower for the first time and I thought it worked very well. i felt more comfortable behind it than the jetski in the competition. the first 20ft being pulled by the winch usually had one sometimes two small jerks or slack, but after that it felt solid. the startup was nice and gradual too which i think is great for all levels of riders.

BUT the real reason i am posting is to show off some pics of the SECOND TOWER that is (being) built but still has yet to be installed. No word for sure when it will be installed. It would be super kool if it could be done by Powellapalooza event. http://www.powellapalooza.com/
Attached Images

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-10-2012, 11:21 AM Reply   
Some pictures from Antelope Point marina, Lake Powell.
May 5th- Cinco De Mayo/ Summer kickoff/ Mini Boating Expo event.
Highlight***---> the Antelope water (cable) park of course

The kicker was updated with a sheet of plastic so it slides MUCH better and smooth.
A new pipe rail was a new addition thrown in that day too.
A couple of regional riders from Arizona showed up to put on a show along with the locals. Jimmy Wolf put on a pretty impressive run on the new cable system, first run, even with the tight arrangement of rails. (video coming soon)
Although the arrangement might have been tight and more or less in a line, it still worked out really well i thought. Improvements can be made, but overall I am impressed and couldn't do better myself, lacking the skill$ to build such things.
Attached Images

Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-10-2012, 11:45 AM Reply   
Big crowd? Appears to be tens of people there.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-10-2012, 1:44 PM Reply   
all the above pics came from early on in the game. i got there just as things were being set up. you can see the barge in the water that just put in the pipe rail.

if your familiar with powell, it is in the middle of no-where...but the most beautiful no-where.
plus the season doesn't really get busy till memorial day to labor day (climactic part of the season)

the videos i have (yet to come) came from a busier time, but all i filmed was the riding, not the event....... and pre-warning/ apology, video quality sux. hopefully i will have a vid tomorrow up. but untill then there are a couple here from december on its test run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyz1xPa2vuU

Last edited by wakerider111; 05-10-2012 at 1:48 PM.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-10-2012, 4:54 PM Reply   
Can't believe I missed this weekend... The weather was awesome and tons of riding went down since the lake was pretty much empty. I heard it was a pretty good showing for the Cinco party but like Jeremy said the lake don't start booming till the end of this month or early June. It's getting close to when were heading down and I can finally get some shot of my new boat on the water with all the red rock. If you ever plan a trip to Lake Powell make sure you plan it out of Antelope Point Marina. Cable, store, coffee shop, restaurant, and the best staff ever!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-11-2012, 12:08 AM Reply   
Not my video, but better footage and editing than i would be able to.
The riders and guys from southern AZ put this up recently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK5sU_OyMio

Last edited by wakerider111; 05-11-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-12-2012, 1:01 PM Reply   
here is the footage i got put together.
i decided to post it still despite poor quality, because it shows the workings of the cable and its entire path, the natural sounds, etc. (it is actually very quiet. most of the video was shot directly under the motor, which would be the loudest point)

Last edited by wakerider111; 05-12-2012 at 1:03 PM.