Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (krkx93)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-08-2008, 3:41 PM Reply   
i complety tore my acl in a motocross incident and i gotta get surgery in two weeks the doc says i cant wakeboard for 8 to 12 months

no wakeboarding for year = life out the window

lol
Old    trevor_kershaw            09-08-2008, 3:49 PM Reply   
im sorry to hear that man.
my brother had an acl surgery 2 years ago and had a cadaver put in. He was back to doing his normal stuf in about 11 months.
I hope everything goes ok for u bratha!
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-08-2008, 7:29 PM Reply   
You shouldn't have asked him about wakeboarding and he wouldn't have told you that. I look at injuries like this one way, I could happen to any of us. Sorry to hear that, be aggresive with the rehab and you'll be out there way before that. In the mean time take up wakesurfing and some mellow wakeskating. Best of luck.
Old     (wakemandan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-08-2008, 8:24 PM Reply   
Lots of us on here have had surgeries and are right back at wakeboarding. I went with the hamstring graft.
Old     (krkx93)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-12-2008, 6:28 AM Reply   
yea im gettin the hamsting graft too

thanx for the support and advice guys
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-12-2008, 7:48 AM Reply   
For sure, I had acl reconstruction, (hamstring) 5 months ago, I started to wakesurf 3 months ago, and now I am riding better than ever and have already gotten back my whole bag of tricks minus going way out into the flats and a couple of inverts I don't feel comfy with yet. It is all about the rehab. You have to be very aggressive and stretching is VERY important.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-12-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
I tore my ACL and MCL snowboarding, they used my Patella tendon to fix it which for me worked well, Major pain and annoyance for the first 4 wks. Not much movement then at all, after that its really all uphill. If you do what the tell you for rehab youll be back in about 6 months. Must be careful, but i was snowboarding in 6 months. Good luck man, and in my opinion I would push for the Patella vs a Cadaver or hamstring. Just my 2 cents.
Old     (hyperliteguy_04)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-12-2008, 7:51 AM Reply   
im sorry man that sucks.....whenever im not on the board i always get the talk from my gf that you could seriously hurt your self and blah blah blah. every now and then it gets me thinking that there are a lot of injuries wakeboarding......and the thought crosses my mind to start and hold back or be more cautious......but as soon as im on that board again i cant help but go big and try and pull everything off.

Its the price you pay to play the game.......Thats a song from staind i believe
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-12-2008, 8:06 AM Reply   
The doctor you see should be able to determine which graft will be best for you. Hamstring grafts will leave you with a weak hamstring for about a year to a year and a half. If you are a big runner or sprinter that is unacceptable. If you primarily wakeboard, surf and do sports that do not require much running then you would be catagorized by the doc as someone who participates in mostly quad dominant sports in which case the hamsting graft is perfect for you because your quads are not affected as much and you will be back to your normal activities more quickly. At least that is how it was explained to me. I would recommend seeing a doctor that focuses on sport medicine and treats primarily athletes. I have heard that the hamstring graft is weaker but my doctor reassured me that it will hold. I hope he is right but with all of the athletes that they have treated and probably hundreds of knees that he has done. I will take his word for it.
Old     (krkx93)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-24-2008, 6:45 AM Reply   
surgery is today guys wish me luck!
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-24-2008, 7:02 AM Reply   
good luck kaleb!
Old     (krkx93)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-24-2008, 6:03 PM Reply   
hah thanx bro