Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-11-2004, 9:36 PM Reply   
Actually, he landed 3 in a row! Congrats, Greg!

Check them out:
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=9766

Jimmy - Does this mean you have to hang up your wakeboard???
Old    gman100            01-11-2004, 9:46 PM Reply   
Awesome Christie, Thank you so much for putting the video up so quickly. Corey, thank you for the tips, you helped me pull it all together.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       01-11-2004, 10:19 PM Reply   
Greg,

That is amazing. It was exactly 3 weeks ago today that I watched those first attempts. Talk about progress. It nice to see the old "Sanford butt check" make its way into the raley as well.

Hey, great job!! Hope to get up there and ride again soon.

Christie,

I think I've watched at least four of your movies in the last few weeks. They were all great as usual. Keep up the good work. Say hi to the gang for me.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-11-2004, 10:28 PM Reply   
how long have you been riding Greg?

Nice work!!! Sick riding, keep it up.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-12-2004, 2:49 AM Reply   
wow greg. that's ridiculous. nice progress!
Old    gman100            01-12-2004, 7:05 AM Reply   
Bennett, This is my fourth year ridding but my first time ridding during the winter months. Thanks for the comments.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-12-2004, 8:35 AM Reply   
i dont know you greg but great job..thats a tricks thats been killing me trying..it looks like you learned mhow to do them much more relaxed then i am being told..i am edging 3 times as hard as you look your doing..

whats the secret??walk us through your learning process and what finally turned the light on for you..i am interested in knowing..

thanks
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-12-2004, 9:05 AM Reply   
I'm with Bill... I cut like 7 times harder. But then again, for a hoochy I have about the same cut.

Great job!!! It's so awesome to land new stuff.
Old    gman100            01-12-2004, 9:52 AM Reply   
Bill,

I think of 4 things
1. Do a normal huge air wake jump
2. Once I leave the wake just let my body completely loose, and let the boat lay you out in the Raley position. (make sure you hold on to that handle.)
3. Keep your head up and look at the tower.
4. Then when you feel a huge tug from the boat, pull that board back under you.

That's it really pretty simple the hardest thing is for me was to not be afraid of being in that laid out position and just go big. It's so counterintuitive laying your body out in that position, once I got over that I could focus on the rest of the trick.

One other thing I was doing wrong was throwing my board back to get out in the raley position. Corey in the boat noticed this and told me not to do that and to just relax and let the boat do the work. When I did that I felt it all come together. It was awesome.

Thanks again Corey! and Christie too for the video and the boat ride! and Rob and Henry for the support and encouragement!

One other thing, I am able to get big air pretty easily, which is a another topic, so that wasn't something I had to think about for the trick. In my opinion if you don't get big air for that trick it could hurt :-( hesitating also hurts. When Christie gets the whole video from that day and the day before you will see the ones I didn't land.
Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-12-2004, 10:29 AM Reply   
Greg - I decided NOT to make a video from yesterday. After watching you land backrolls AND raleys in just a couple weekends when I have been trying unsuccessfully for a year and a half on that HS180 has really torqued me off!

LOL! JUST KIDDING! I started capturing video last night and worked on it more on BART this morning. I should get the full video posted by Wed.

Nice work on the new tricks! How long with the perma-grin last this time??
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-12-2004, 11:45 AM Reply   
Great job Greg!!

Christie - you made that video awesome just by adding the "Ride of the Valkyries." Nice!
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-12-2004, 11:46 AM Reply   
I hate all you guys.

F#<& all ya'll! I'm gonna take my boat and go home!!! Oh, wait... it's Fisher's boat.

I knew it wasn't gonna take long when I saw those first attempts a couple weeks ago. j/k Greg, congrats, that's so awesome! BTW, if you start sticking HS 5s, you might wanna seriously start watching your back. Sometimes people just mysteriously "vanish" and are never heard from again. It can even happen to wakeboarders. You just never know!
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-12-2004, 11:47 AM Reply   
Oh yeah, I'd like to see the efforts that ended up in crashes before you finally landed those Greg...
Old    gman100            01-12-2004, 12:28 PM Reply   
I went to sleep last night with a grin on my face and woke up the same way.

Jimmy, are you trying to tell me that the HS 5 should be my next trick?
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-12-2004, 1:08 PM Reply   
Dude, with your cut and pop you could probably learn tantrums in a half day. I predict that'll be the next one for ya. HS 5? Right now, I wouldn't put much past you.
Old     (speedy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-12-2004, 4:05 PM Reply   
Nice job Greg, I knew you would be landing it soon after your attempts on Saturday. I definately was thinking about you guys all day while I was stuck at work, conditions must have been great.

mark
Old    ontrider            01-12-2004, 4:40 PM Reply   
Nice Supermans!
Old    buttacup            01-12-2004, 6:55 PM Reply   
Go for krypts next!
Old    cdn_wkbrdr            01-12-2004, 7:56 PM Reply   
Is this trick just called ralley? Is it one of the first tricks you learn as a wakeboarder or is it recommened for more of an advanced rider?
Old    gman100            01-12-2004, 8:23 PM Reply   
In my opinion this is not one of the first tricks to learn, definately for an advanced rider. I learned big air, 180's, then the back roll. I think the backroll is the first big trick someone should try.
Old    cdn_wkbrdr            01-12-2004, 8:55 PM Reply   
Well I'm just an addicted noob rider, but by the loks of it the backroll seems so much harder. Looks like people always tend to intiate backrool to soon..
Cant wait till 5 months when i can wakeboard again!!!!!!!
Old    cdn_wkbrdr            01-12-2004, 8:55 PM Reply   
}}Well I'm just an addicted noob rider, but by the loks of it the backroll seems so much harder. Looks like people always tend to intiate backrool to soon..
Cant wait till 5 months when i can wakeboard again!!!!!!!
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-13-2004, 12:27 PM Reply   
Matt, the Raley is more of a mental challenge, and the consequences for failure usually are much more severe than for a backroll. A small percentage of riders I've met in my life seem to pick up the raley pretty easily, but not for most of us. For most folks, the back roll or tantrum is the easiest invert to pick up first.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-16-2004, 5:03 PM Reply   
Nice job on the raley, good height and pop. Now put a little more weight on your front foot and you won't end up "stargazing" - the board will pop level.