Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (jasonmurray12)      Join Date: Oct 2009       08-19-2010, 9:02 AM Reply   
Ive been trying to land a backroll lately and have had some hard falls and have become a little timid. i then went boardin yesterday behind my friends i/o (smaller wake) and thought "what the heck imma gonna try a mexi roll" and found the crashes to be way lighter. would learning a back roll the mexican way be a better way for me and then once i get that down then convert to a back roll??
thanks
Old     (jasonmurray12)      Join Date: Oct 2009       08-19-2010, 9:03 AM Reply   
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-19-2010, 9:17 AM Reply   
alright, i just learned a regular backroll for my first invert.

go for a regular backroll, i dont really have any tips for a mexican roll

Think about 4 things when you try a backroll next time.

1. hard edge- progressive, and hold it all the way through

2. eject- at the wake, really kick and try to boost, most people are so worried about making the full flip that they begin to loop out and that kills your hight. you will make the full flip, just make sure you have the hight.

3. bit your ear- thats how you want to pitch for a regular backroll, your body will follow. you want to stay facing the boat doing a cartwheel all the way around.

4. T-Rex arms- keep your arms in, if you let them out, you will slow down.

Hard edge, eject, bit your ear, and t-rex arms! say all those in your head and i swear to god you will land it hahah. good luck
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-19-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
jason you are doing more of a mexican backroll. the regular backroll is more tip over tail rotation
Old    alanp            08-22-2010, 9:12 AM Reply   
stand up straight. your right should and back is leaning hard. also pin the handle to your front hip and hold on to it with both hands.
Old    alanp            08-22-2010, 9:13 AM Reply   
also stop the video at 2 seconds. you are in a totally seated position. come in with a normal progressive edge, standing much taller.
Old     (izzyg)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-23-2010, 2:52 PM Reply   
You´re losing your edge at the end and hucking it, instead of letting the tension pull you around. Whether it´s a reg or a Mexi roll, make sure you edge in progressively, with your max edge right at the wake. Then just straighten up, pop, and look up and to the left . . . this will flip you around.

if you lose your edge at the end you´ll crash forever
Old    alanp            08-23-2010, 5:29 PM Reply   
not to disagree but i would suggest not looking left. for the mexi roll he should dump his head down. after he has left the wake. a regular br yeah look over the shoulder.
Old     (jasonmurray12)      Join Date: Oct 2009       08-23-2010, 6:14 PM Reply   
Ya thanks for the tips guys! Unfortunately my parents (my drivers) took off to Hawaii so i haven't had a chance yet to try again. And i have no vids of me trying just a regular back roll. oh well, patience is a virtue!
Old     (jasonmurray12)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-01-2010, 3:59 PM Reply   
So i finally got to go out again the other day. I was kind of sketchy and rusty but whatever. My backroll attempt is at the end of the clip. any tips are greatly appreciated! thanks

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-01-2010, 4:27 PM Reply   
jason you are still throwing this trick you need to edge through the wake to get height then look over your lead shoulder. stop the video at 1:29 and look at how low your board and head are. you need to edge longer to get more height then you can spin slower and spot your landing.
Old     (jasonmurray12)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-01-2010, 8:26 PM Reply   
Ya as i watch the video i can definitely see that myself. so as i extend up the wake, my back leg especially, needs to be more straight?
Old     (izzyg)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-05-2010, 8:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanp View Post
not to disagree but i would suggest not looking left. for the mexi roll he should dump his head down. after he has left the wake. a regular br yeah look over the shoulder.
Alan my bad you´re right.

Look down, literally, between your legs. It still looks like you´re losing your edge right at the wake
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-06-2010, 5:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmurray12 View Post
Ya as i watch the video i can definitely see that myself. so as i extend up the wake, my back leg especially, needs to be more straight?
yes all the way through the wake to keep line tension and get more height.