Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (kingfish)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-03-2008, 12:37 PM Reply   
MY LOWEST LAST THREE RIB ON MY LEFT SIDE GET MESSED UP EVERY YEAR... I CAN FEEL THEM POP IN AND OUT ALL DAY IF IT MESS THEM UP RIDING. ANYONE EVER HAD THIS PROBLEM OR HEARD OF THIS HAPPENING? IS IT FROM THE STRAPS ON MY LIFE JACKET?
Old     (lzrdwrnglr)      Join Date: May 2008       06-03-2008, 12:42 PM Reply   
You need to strengthen your core area. Your body is overcompensating for other areas.In turn your the muscles around your rib area are working harder and your ribs are popping in and out of place.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-04-2008, 5:09 PM Reply   
Rib injuries suck and can last for a LONG time. I've had some injuries from some hard slams. Mike might be right about your core area. Don't think it is your straps, but I have to ride with them real loose if I have a rib injury.
Old     (nbomzy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-05-2008, 8:29 AM Reply   
This happened to me a couple of years ago. My lower left rib popped out trying a mexican back roll and popped back in once i got back onto the boat. It was really painful. Next day i thought i was fine so i rode again and then my rib just popped out and stayed that way.... forever. It hurt for over a month and then it went away. Today it never hurts but i can fell the bulge of my popped out rib. The doctor said it would go back into place itself. He was wrong.

This happened because i was a weak Bit*h!

I recommend def Strengthening your core. I did that and have been fine since.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-05-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
Micah - The same happens to me every year. I have found that riding with a CGA vest has helped with protection on this. I like comp vests better and still use them depending on my mood, but I know thicker vests have helped when I've fallen on the lower ribs.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-05-2008, 9:10 AM Reply   
Yep - very similar injury coming up short on a back roll. The lower 2 or 3 ribs broke on my left side and separated/stretched from the sternum. The fractures healed but the lower ribs are still not connected to my sternum correctly. I can still feel them move or 'pop' whenever I put pressure on them but it is not painful. This happened over 5 years ago. It can be surgically corrected, but pose no serious danger so I just live with the annoyance.

I do not think any amount of core strength will overcome this. It is a cartilage and connective tissue problem not a muscle strength issue.

Good luck. Maybe your injury will heal better than mine.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-05-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
Switch your vest too, doesn't need to be CGA either, but that certainly aids in floatation. The JP vest don't provide for much if any rib protection for me personally, so I switched up to the Baller and never felt rib pain again-knock on wood. Rolling the Oneil now, but I haven't tested the ribs with it yet, so.......
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-05-2008, 10:40 AM Reply   
Damn, I cracked 3 ribs about 3 years ago playing football (took a helmet right in the gut with my arms extended overhead) but nothing ever popped and stayed out, that sounds nasty!
Old     (zirb3l)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-05-2008, 3:40 PM Reply   
Caps lock is cruise control for cool!
Old     (kingfish)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-06-2008, 6:58 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info everyone!!! I really appreciate it. I went to the chiropractor and he popped everything back into place and shocked the hell out of that area…it’s not popping back and fourth at all now. He said to handle it like a muscle problem... Ice or icy-hot, and stretching. I’m going to take the straps my jacket and look for a new one that rides lower on my torso.