Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (greenbass86)      Join Date: May 2010       07-18-2010, 1:28 PM Reply   
I want to try and get my nephew into wake boarding he is only about seven and can swim real well. He has gone tubing a few times, but i want to try and get him on a board. Any suggestions on how to teach him.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-18-2010, 2:16 PM Reply   
i have not taught a lot of small kids, but my favorite method for all ages is to get a second line (same length out as the other), put on a board and ride with them. you can talk to them easier, SHOW them how to do things, help catch the handle when the boat comes around, help the rider control the board in the water, etc.
Old    dperizzolo            07-18-2010, 3:57 PM Reply   
If you have access to a boom this is a great way to start. If you don't then I have found that holding a kid up on top of the water to start instead of making them get up was a big plus with my little cousins. This way they learned how to ride, then get up after so once they did do their deep water starts, they already knew what to do. Other than that, to teach a deep water start with little kids I usually do some dry land stuff regarding body position and how it should look when attempting a deep water start. Then I will put them in the water with the board up against the ski platform, give them the handle and simulate the boat pulling them by pulling on the rope and allowing them to stand up on the platform. This will give you a good indication on whether they are waiting for the pull or standing up too soon. Kids will usually pop straight out of the water, its staying up that is the challenge. I would recommend going slow so he doesn't take a bad digger. Riding with him will help as Jeremy has said. Good Luck bro. I'm sure he will do great.
Old    kaligirl            07-20-2010, 10:03 PM Reply   
I do everything Darren said except for their first deep water start I tell them not to worry about standing up but to just stay in a crouched position until they're comfortable, otherwise they usually try to stand up too quick and will sink the board. They'll usually heel outside the wake, then stand up. Just remind them to keep their toes up so they don't do a face plant.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-20-2010, 11:23 PM Reply   
Here's a couple of me and my 2-year-old shot over the 4th of July weekend. We had offered him wake surfing the day before, and he was no go. Then in these pics, it was the end of the day and I offered for him to ride with me, pretty certain he would turn it down again. Surprise, he was all about it, jumped off the platform and never looked back. My intention was to go slow (first pic), but he wanted it faster (second pic). We even spilled on some rollers, he got a face full, but still wanted another ride.

My wife was NOT happy with any of it, but John is a fourth generation lake rat and would not be denied his destiny!
Attached Images

Old     (Prokurat)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-21-2010, 1:21 AM Reply   
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-21-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
My son started at 2 years on a EZ-Trainer ski at the beach and insisted that the rope be hooked to the boat like daddy. He soon was bored with the EZ trainer but I until Prokuratov's video above I had not seen something a now 3 year old could use. What are people using that is available in the States?
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-21-2010, 8:02 AM Reply   
Not really teaching how to wakeboard, but two weeks ago I took my 2 year old daughter and our friends 3 year old son and 8 year old daughter out on the board with me. The only problem was the river was freezing. Each time we got up with ease, but when we cut it off they were like cats in the water try to get out of a tub (too cold for them). Now all my 2 year old talks about is wakeboarding which is pretty funny, because my 5 year old daughter wouldn't get out on the board with me. She does have a board (Liquid Force Star w/ Prima Bindings) which I use to pull her when we are on the shore. I've taught her how to get up, but my legs get pretty worn out from running in the water pulling her. I'll see if I can talk her into trying to do it from behind the boat our or friends jetski this weekend. The 2 year old has already told me she's going to wakeboard with me again this weekend.

Moon
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-21-2010, 9:30 AM Reply   
Prokuratov Aleksandr, you sir are a GREAT DAD!!! Now that's what I am talking about for our kids! Teaching them a sport that will be passed on from family to family. Awesome video and your son is awesome too! My hat is off to you. Keep it up!
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-21-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
Not sure how old your nephew is, but here's how I did it for my kids. They were daughter 4, son 7. I let my daughter ride with me on my board like pictured above for a few sets. Just to get the idea of what she needed to do. I shortened the rope to not far off the back of the boat. This makes it easier to coach them, and staying close keeps them from freaking out. It also pulls them more up and out of the water. Once they started to consistently get up, I put the rope all the way out at 90 feet. Pulled them around 14-15 mph. With that speed and that rope length there was no wake for them to worry about so they could go where ever the board took them without fear of having to cross the wake. As they started to progress I would increase speed and starting pulling the rope in. They now ride at 17-19mph at 65-70 feet back. Also, I always kept an adult in the water with them. This was mainly to help them flip the board over if they ended up on their bellies. Until they could roll over themselves.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-22-2010, 2:40 PM Reply   
My river full of gators makes the idea of floating alone for an extended period uncomfortable.
Old     (sinjun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       07-22-2010, 4:06 PM Reply   
taught my son at age 5, took an old board and tied a rope to it, from there a short line with a handle. pulled him around the the yard with a lawn mower, at the marina i used are golf cart. then i had him lay on his back on the ground with the board on his feet with a handle in his hands and i would pull him to a standing position as i pulled on the rope by hand (this taught him to get up on the board), with this practice before he hit the water it was amazing how fast he learned to get up( i think maybe 4 or 5 tries).he is now 7 and in his 3 year of wake boarding can ride switch,do ollies and get a little air off the wake, his progression every time we go out is just amazing. at that age they learn quick, my wife was just telling me last week she thinks he is almost as good as her, and it won't be long before he passes me.