Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-19-2005, 5:09 PM Reply   
I would like to push my wakesurfing up a notch.

Would a newer board help?

The Hypelite Coex looks interesting. Would that be a good choice?

Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-20-2005, 6:27 AM Reply   
We have had a number of new customers after they "mastered" their Landlock. If you want a board that will take you to the next level of riding, check out the Surf Skate by Trick Boardz. It is the world's smallest surfboard, yet due to its unique concave cross section shape, and twin tip with a shallow rocker, it rides like a bigger board. We have been notified that Trick Boardz will receive its patent on 8/30/05. Since it is a true twin tip board, when you do 180s and 540s, the board is not riding backwards. The Surf Skate can be ridden with fins or finless. Because of the concave bottom and relatively sharp rails, it tracks amazingly well even when finless. The board spins effortlessly, yet will still carve up and down the wave. Also, because of the unique shape, Trick Boardz do not have the tendency to nose dive as seen in the Landlock. Check out the video of Adam Roten on the Surf Skate demonstrating that it will even surf underwater.

http://www.trickboardz.com/Video/Broadband/broadband.jsp

For you, I would suggest the Large Surf Skate.

Old     (lovinpowell)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-22-2005, 8:30 AM Reply   
Larry:
OK Larry, you like the person that will be able to help ease my frustrations. I am a Man in my mid 40's. Grew up by the beach in Southern California and surfed whenever I could. Now I live in a landlocked state and, with the recent purchase of my new boat (Tige 21I) have taken up wakesurfing. My board is a Liquid Force Skim Skate 5.0 (see picture below). I have two frustrations, I can go without a rope, but basically just have to cruise, I can't do too many manuvers or I will fall out of the sweet spot. The other is that to go without the rope, I have to put a great deal of weight on the front of the board, often causing the nose to go under. I am 5'10" and about 190 (yes, I know a little chunky around the gut). I was thinking that I needed to buy a longer board, but still want to be able to do some moves. The comment that you made about the picture in the thread "anyway to get a 12 yr old up on a Landlock?" is my son.

Your help (or anybody elses) would be appreciated.

My Wakesurfer
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-22-2005, 7:57 PM Reply   
LovinPowell
First, go to www.HowToWakeSurf.com
The site has a lot of text but it is important information. Next, ballast your boat adequately. In our 2001 Tige 20i, we use about 2000 lbs of ballast. To see a picture of the wave, go to:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/243097.html?1122768490
On our boat, for a goofy wave, we put about 1000 lbs behind the driver, 800 lbs in place of the back seat, a person sitting behind the driver, and another person in the front seat - or 300 lbs on the floor in front of the engine. Of course, what you need is a wave with good push.
I presume you read the post above. A longer board may not the answer since a longer board is less able to spin. I am 175 lbs and my board is 42" long by 19" wide. It is the world's second smallest surfboard. When I am riding hard, I frequently put the tip of the board underwater and continue surfing; that is toeside, I haven't learned to push heelside that hard yet.
If you have any more questions, please email me or call at 512.647.7321
Old     (lovinpowell)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-23-2005, 7:32 AM Reply   
Looks like I'll have to "Ballast Up" before I venture out and buy a new board.
Old     (wakesurfer54)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-23-2005, 8:18 PM Reply   
the phase 5s are sick ass boards the better then any hyperlite board
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-24-2005, 7:02 AM Reply   
If you are buying new ballast sacs, the Pro X sacs and pumps from Fly High are simply the best.
Old    fusspilz            08-25-2005, 10:25 AM Reply   
I have the same board and am 6-0 $200.

I was able to ride on the board w/o rope about a month ago and have been doing it ever since. If you take the skeg off the front of the board it makes a really big difference. Foot postition is key to riding this board.

If you need anything on this board, it's not length, it's rocker. The rocker to me seems to shallow. Hence the pearling (nose diving).

Just try those things first. I can ride behind my 97 Mal with just the Wedge and no ballast. It can be done.
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-26-2005, 12:29 PM Reply   
the coex rocks!!!