Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (csmo)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-05-2009, 4:37 AM Reply   
Dear Wakeboarder,
The Center of Sports Medicine and Orthopaedics Foundation for Research is conducting a survey of wakeboarders and their ACL injuries due to wakeboarding. The results of this study will be analyzed and submitted to scientific journals. All survey responses will remain anonymous. We request that you sign and date two copies of the informed consent and keep one copy for yourself and send the other one back to the Center for Sports Medicine and Orthopaedics along with the completed survey either by email, mail of fax at your earliest convenience. If you have any video footage or pictures that can be provided of you at the time of the ACL injury (this is to gain a deeper understanding of the mechanism of the injury), please send those as well. Your identity will be protected in these images or footage by blacking out the face of any images used in publications, posters, etc. We hope this information will aid in prevention of ACL injury in wakeboarders along with providing how common the injury rate is. Thank you in advance for your participation.

Best Regards,
Danette Newton
Research Department
Center for Sports Medicine and Orthopaedics
2415 McCallie Ave. Chattanooga, TN 37404
423.697-8817
Fax: 423:697-8776
csmo_survey@yahoo.com
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-05-2009, 7:28 AM Reply   
Mr. Newton you hit the jackpot. These injury threads run rampant through out wakeworld. I would think to expedite the process a bit, and get more responses, uploading the form would be very helpful.

Also, is it just ACL? Wakeboarders have a lot of MCL tears too (yours truly).

I think I speak for most, we would really like to see the outcome of the study. We kind have a good idea of how common the injury is (pretty high). But prevention and care would be some great feedback, coming from professionals.
Old     (idrumyay)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-05-2009, 11:14 AM Reply   
I second the MCL as well. About a month ago I blew out my knee thinking it was the ACL. After the MRI, turns out it was just the MCL. Take a little time to recover and I will be back on the water in no time.

As far as mechanism goes...I believe that it is typically the front foot. When the board is angled down toward the water and hits the water a a fast speed, the nose of the board springs up against the riders momentum. This causes the inward 'buckling' of the knee. This is atleast what happened to me. Again though, no ACL, but got my MCL pretty good...
Upload
Upload
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-05-2009, 1:28 PM Reply   
yup thats exactly how i did mine
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-05-2009, 1:37 PM Reply   
THIS a GREAT IDEA!!!

Travis, that top pic is great, I love pictures of riders not giving up, trying everything to save themselves from doom! What to hang on to the handle brother!
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-05-2009, 6:32 PM Reply   
Also, add what trick people were doing. I posted a thread about a year ago and the Tantrum was by far the most common trick listed for knee injuries (got my LCL and Fibula once and deep bone bruise the second time).
Old     (masonmeuth)      Join Date: May 2009       08-05-2009, 7:18 PM Reply   
Torn Acl landing just like the pic above on a scarecrow.... front heavy stopped my momentum
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-06-2009, 10:39 AM Reply   
Is it possible this information could get submitted to insurance/health care providers and affect our coverage/rates? Just pondering