Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-13-2010, 8:13 AM Reply   
What do you guys think a good condition 96 205 is worth. The boat is mostly black and white with a small teal stripe. It has the corvette LT1 engine with 470 hours. It has a galvanized tandem trailer and FWC. Supposedly it was used in the Delta for the first 5 or 6 years of its life and then in 100% fresh water for the last 9. I didn't see any signs of salt use. Other than that the boat is basically bare. No stereo, no heater, no tower, no ballast.

I took a quick peak at boat trader and only inboards and there weren't many 96-98's. Everything seemed to be priced above 15k. A lot of which had towers, etc....
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-13-2010, 8:18 AM Reply   
That boat is a watersports enthusiasts dream. Those hours on that engine = rare find, and a lot of people's preferred set up, including me. Best overall performing boat IMO, and has been since possibly the CC 200.

$16-19K, depending on condition, it can easily be on the high side of that.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-13-2010, 8:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
That boat is a watersports enthusiasts dream. Those hours on that engine = rare find, and a lot of people's preferred set up, including me. Best overall performing boat IMO, and has been since possibly the CC 200.

$16-19K, depending on condition, it can easily be on the high side of that.
Thanks. So, I said value it at good condition. What about if it needs some work? The ski pylon is loose. I am not sure how these were secured but I would guess it is just a loose ubolt or 2. The carpet needs to be shampoo'd, a couple of area's of vinyl need to be replaced, the rear seat base that is just a flat board needs to be replaced, I think they broke the board under the cushion, there is a gouge in the black gel(I estimate at about a $500 repair), the trailer needs 4 new tires, jack stand and probably have the brakes redone. It also needs a cover. Overall the bones of the boat seem to be in good shape. It just needs a lot of cleaning, some elbow grease and probably $1500 in repairs.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-13-2010, 8:52 AM Reply   
$13-$15K, could be a steal if they need to move it, or harder if they figure they could just do the fixes
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-13-2010, 8:56 AM Reply   
How do you feel about 7-8k? Would that definitely be worth it?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-13-2010, 8:58 AM Reply   
I was thinking 12-15 but after looking at the NADA I'd say 12 with the low hours and the condition you have stated.

Prostar 205 LT1

Used Trade-In Average Retail High Retail
Base Price
$9,040 $10,610 $12,080
Options
Power Boat:CANVAS
Boat Cover - 20 ft. thru 25 ft. $110 $130 $145
Power Boat:SKI BOAT
Tournament Ski Pylon $80 $90 $100
TOTAL PRICE $9,230 $10,830 $12,325
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-13-2010, 9:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
For the purchaser hell yes, for the seller NO!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-13-2010, 9:08 AM Reply   
HMMMMM, I might have to buy a boat.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-13-2010, 9:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Around here, if you got that boat for under $12k, you'd be stealing it.

My old 94 was just sold for $17k. It had a bunch of gear on it, but not $8k worth. And it's the shorter gunnels.

BTW, I just found the ad. I'd say if the boat has been sitting out, uncovered, unmaintained, then you should have a mechanic look at the engine. Scope the cylinder walls, compression check, leak down test, etc. You can spend the winter fixing the interior, adding a tower, ballast, stereo, etc. And probably come out ahead pretty easily. But if that motor is junk, your going to be way behind after rebuilding it. Also have the trans checked out too.

Last edited by bill_airjunky; 10-13-2010 at 9:16 AM.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-13-2010, 9:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_airjunky View Post
Around here, if you got that boat for under $12k, you'd be stealing it.

My old 94 was just sold for $17k. It had a bunch of gear on it, but not $8k worth. And it's the shorter gunnels.

BTW, I just found the ad. I'd say if the boat has been sitting out, uncovered, unmaintained, then you should have a mechanic look at the engine. Scope the cylinder walls, compression check, leak down test, etc. You can spend the winter fixing the interior, adding a tower, ballast, stereo, etc. And probably come out ahead pretty easily. But if that motor is junk, your going to be way behind after rebuilding it. Also have the trans checked out too.
I would def. have a mechanic take a look at it.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-13-2010, 9:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
I was thinking 12-15 but after looking at the NADA I'd say 12 with the low hours and the condition you have stated.

Prostar 205 LT1

Used Trade-In Average Retail High Retail
Base Price
$9,040 $10,610 $12,080
Options
Power Boat:CANVAS
Boat Cover - 20 ft. thru 25 ft. $110 $130 $145
Power Boat:SKI BOAT
Tournament Ski Pylon $80 $90 $100
TOTAL PRICE $9,230 $10,830 $12,325
That's why NADA is a joke for stuff like this. Even with todays times, no sane seller is going to give a 96 205 for less than $12K, however the 96 LT1 is slightly less powerful than those in 97-98's.

Was the engine replaced? Or it really just sat outside? Dang, that's a young man's dream boat
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-13-2010, 10:31 AM Reply   
I actually went and looked at the boat yesterday. It was outside under a tree with a cover on it. The cover has seen better days so some water, dirt, leaves got in. The GEL is actually in good shape other than one spot. It isn't faded at all. There are little screws here and there that need to be tightened. It def. needs a full hardcore carpet shampoo. The trailer needs new tires and jack. I am also guessing that the brakes need to be replaced. One of the fenders is bent but since it is galvanized I figured it could be bent back with out making it look like crap. I can get all the trailer parts at wholesale so that isn't a big deal to me. I wouldn't mind trying to fix the gel myself but after looking at the picture I took it is right on the line of white and teal. I am assuming the teal is actual gel. The cup holders need to be replaced. The rear seat bottom needs a new board but the vinyl there is actually ok. The only spots that needed new vinyl looked like the observers seat and the rear hatch piece. I know it wouldn't match up 100% but whatever. It needs a new cover but that could be had for $200 for something that would work.

If I did a lot of the work myself this is what I would figure it would cost to get the boat to what I would call good shape. This is assuming the engine and transmission are in good shape.

Trailer-$500-new tires, brakes, jack stand
Gelcoat-~500 if done by a professional
Vinyl-500-700 for 2 seats that need to be re vinyled
Cleaning, small fixes and cover-~250-500.

That puts it at about 2k into it plus the 8k or so for the boat. 10k into it total doesn't sound too bad for how much it could be worth.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-13-2010, 10:41 AM Reply   
Well worth it.

The gelcoat problem could probably be fixed with a vinyl stripe / partial wrap. Inexpensive & a new updated look.

The rear seat bottom is a common issue in that years 190s & 205s. We used to install supports under the seat to prop them up. Better yet, build a box, install the seat cushion on top, ballast &/or storage underneath.

So when is the mechanic checkin it out? Is the boat in good enough shape to do a test drive? Or get a Fake-a-lake on it to start it?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-13-2010, 11:00 AM Reply   
If I decide to look into it further I will try and get a mechanic there this week. I need to take a compressor so I can pump up the tires and see if it is trailerable. II really don't think I would buy it without putting it in the water. I would want to make sure there are no vibrations and it doesn't leak too much water.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-13-2010, 7:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
That's why NADA is a joke for stuff like this
Obvioulsy, yes NADA is a guide when selling/buying but try telling the banks that its a joke when you try to line up financing (not necessarily talking her) or when you go to get an insurance replacement.

Quote:
Even with todays times, no sane seller is going to give a 96 205 for less than $12K
I can tell you from tons of experience consumers look at guides when they buy, so when a person has something listed too high and gets no bites nor a sale he might begin to realize the price is to high and lower it, no? I guess the answer to that is in the fact that Brett has to opportunity to pick this boat below the trade in value. These "times" you speak of make people do some desperate things.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-14-2010, 6:14 AM Reply   
Understand, I was more commenting on the $9-$12K range. that's a best buy boat then.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-14-2010, 7:30 AM Reply   
I can not comment on value, but my 1st boat was a 1997 MC Pro 205 with the LT1 engine. It was a great boat and the engine was rock solid.