Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-21-2010, 12:21 PM Reply   
I know there are a few cigar ppl on here. And there was a good cigar and a drink thread but i think it's gone.

What are your fav's. and not necessarily just +$20 name dropping cuz I know there are some great cigars out there for >$10.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-21-2010, 12:35 PM Reply   
I've got a couple personal favorites right now.... The Rocky Patel Royal Orders are killer. Try the Torpedo's. They're a bit pricey right now, but if you go to www.holts.com you can get a great sampler that comes with 5 of them. Its listed as the Nicaraguan classics. The Padron's it comes with are a favorite, too.

I think I'll be bucking up for a case of the Royal Orders.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-21-2010, 1:21 PM Reply   
Cannot go wrong with Padron Anniversary's..... Seriously, I don't know if I have every heard someone say "Ah....I just don't care for the Padron Anny's" So safe bet in cigar and size is a Padron Anniversary 1964 Exclusivo(about $11).

My current favorite cigar is the E.P. Carrillo E.I. 2009($12ish)........

+/- $7 smokes that I really like.... Alec Bradley Tempus Terra Nova, Illusione 88, AF Don Carlos Robusto, La Aroma de Cuba EE #5's

< $6 I have been enjoying some 601 Blue's

Evan, I have not had a R.P Royal Order.....but apparently that needs to change.....
Old     (jps912)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-21-2010, 1:26 PM Reply   
I really like Romeo y Julietas and a brand called Punch.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-21-2010, 1:47 PM Reply   
#1 MOST FAV all time - Padron Anniversary
#2 Montecristo
#3 Saint Luis Rey
#4 Flor De Cano
#5 Bolivar
also really good: Diplomaticos, H Upmann, Partagas, Hoyo de Monterrey.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-23-2010, 7:33 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. I'm new to the sport. Trying to see what's popular 'round these parts ;-)
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-23-2010, 7:41 PM Reply   
Swisher Sweet
Old     (shane97210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-24-2010, 10:06 AM Reply   
Rockey Patel, olde world reserve, torpedo. That and a glass of Johnie Wlaker Blue, doesn't get much better! My favorite cigar right now by far. Not sure what they cost in the states but i picked up a box in Honduras for $90.
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-24-2010, 10:14 AM Reply   
I'm a big fan of all things 5 Vegas. If I'm buying on a budget if money isn't an issue Padron 1964.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-24-2010, 10:32 AM Reply   
E.J. Try one out. Let me know what you think. I'm really digging them right now. Semi-light smoke. Lot's of great flavor.

I haven't tried much from Alec Bradley. I think I'm going to order a few sticks to sample.
Old    dhorton            05-24-2010, 12:02 PM Reply   
Camacho Liberty, La Aurora Preferido Gold/Green are probably my current favorites. But at 12-15 bucks a stick (internet price, local B&M usually more) thats outside the less than 10 buck range your looking for.

In the range your looking for my favorites would be the 601 Blue, Padilla Dominus, RP Old World Corojo. I find all of these and many other great sticks on several deal a day sites regularly in the sub 5 dollar price range.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       05-25-2010, 9:47 AM Reply   
I am with Dennis I am a HUGE fan of all things 5 Vegas.
Old     (WakeboardNJ)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-25-2010, 10:08 AM Reply   
Some of my recommendations for sub-10 sticks...

Henry Clay Robusto - Habano 2000 wrapper - Very earthy tones - med body cigar - kick around cigar when I want something that I just know will work
Cuba Aliados - mild to med body - great kick around smoke.
Rocky Patel - Connecticut - medium to full body but won't kick your face off - creamy thick smoke (personal favorite)
Arturo Fuente - 858 Maduro - med to strong, but an excellent smoke for the price (about $8 a piece)
Partagas Natural Robusto - med body
Tatuaje Cabaigua - Excellent all around. Cinnaminny and consistent.
Nub - Any style should be great, but I personally like the Connecticut and the Habano.
Oliva Series O or Series G always deliver for me.

+10$ cigars... (sometimes less at retail)
Don Pepin Garcia Series JJ Maduro - warning, will kick your face off!
La Aurora Sapphire - Amazing and minty
Rocky Patel ITC 10th Anniversary. - Buy this in the Salomon style if you can find it.

Last edited by WakeboardNJ; 05-25-2010 at 10:08 AM. Reason: sp
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-25-2010, 10:15 AM Reply   
freak a black and mild. now thats high class
Old    ScottRobinson            05-25-2010, 12:11 PM Reply   
Acid Kuba Cigars.....very amazing!
Old    ScottRobinson            05-25-2010, 12:12 PM Reply   
mmmmmmmmmm
Attached Images

Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-26-2010, 12:00 AM Reply   
How about a Macanudo?
Old     (eustace)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-26-2010, 10:25 AM Reply   
CAO - La Traviata
AVO - No.9 Maduro
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-26-2010, 6:09 PM Reply   
Ooooohhh I see my other fellow cigar buddies have jumped in and so shall I. Cigar recommendations depend on what flavor profile you like: Mild, Medium, or Full bodied? I myself am a Medium to Full bodied cigar smoker, mild just doesn't do anything for me.

Oliva V-My favorite stick
Oliva O or G-maduro
Arturo Fuente 858 Maduro
Rocky Patel Vintage 1990
Man O' War and Man O'War Ruination
Padron-1964, 3000, 4000
Perdomo Habano
I second the Henry Clay suggestion that KG noted,great all-around stick
Nestor Plasencia Reserve Maduro
CAO Anniversary Maduro-A friend of mine's absolute favorite
3 Siglos
Alec Bradley Tempus
Most anything Don Pepin Garcia
Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970
Rocky Patel Decade
Tatuaje Angeles

I could probably go on and on. I've smoked 5 Vegas many times, more of a mild stick even with their Relic. The A is decent. Never been a fan of anything Drew Estate which produces Acid cigars.

There are tons of non-cuban sticks that are great and under $10. I would highly recommend www.cigarsinternational.com
Great site, even better customer service, all kinds of samplers so you can try all different kinds of sticks to find out what you like, and I order from them all of the time and never had an issue..

Now I need to go have a smoke......
Old     (WakeboardNJ)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-27-2010, 9:58 AM Reply   
The Drew Estate Java is a neat cigar. Had a few of those.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-01-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
Father's day might be pretty good to me this year...

Justin, i'm a medium guy. I had an Oliva (not sure which one) that a friend recommended and it was smooth, but too mild for me compared to Macanudos and/or Romeo y Julieta 1875's i've had. I haven't had too many to compare to yet.

I'm assembling a list from this thread... and Rocky Patels keep popping up. gonna have to order some of those.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-01-2010, 1:39 PM Reply   
by the way... Evan, Holts.com that you mentioned above is having a Rocky Patel deal this week.

http://www.holts.com/category.html?i...0&trail=201277
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-02-2010, 8:20 AM Reply   
had a Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 torpedo last night. Quite good. It seemed to develop more body about 1/3 of the way thru.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-03-2010, 10:17 AM Reply   
Nice.... that's a steal. I've got a few more sticks to smoke though before I order anything else. Summer time is here, though. Cigars seem to disappear in a hurry this time of year. The samplers are great. Smoke through them, write down the ones you like and order more of those. I'm definitely still learning my taste. Kinda depends what mood I'm in.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-04-2010, 1:37 PM Reply   
CIgars International is having a ridiculous Father's Day sale, I just added up about a $230 order in 5 mins.
Old     (baldboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-07-2010, 6:15 PM Reply   
Ask Bill Clinton?
Old     (stu929)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-16-2010, 8:14 PM Reply   
DPG are all nice
Padilla 1932 one of my absolute favorite smokes
Padilla 1968 was my fav till i got a 32
Tatuaje
CAO Brazilia
5 Vegas also has some very nice stuff

Where are you from?
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-18-2010, 8:22 AM Reply   
I'm in Houston.

RP Decade Toro... was great until about 2/3 the way through. wrapper started burning unevenly... then the cherry kinda disappeared inside the ash and tried to burn out. and in combination between drawing on it heavily to relight it, and RP's being known for developing more body thruought.. It "kicked my face off" as Kevin would say... i should have just let it burn out... or should have gotten the robusto....

Moving on to some other recommendations now... 5 vegas, Arturo Fuente, CAO, Oliva, etc...
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-29-2010, 5:16 PM Reply   
Found a deal on a box that I could pass up.... Will post a pic when they get here.....

601 Blue(robusto) last night.....ummmm those are always a solid choice...
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-29-2010, 6:25 PM Reply   
Right now I'm loving the Hoya De Nicaragua Clasico Robusto's, the Rockey Patel Royal Order Torpedo's and the Arturo Fuente Grand Reserva's (I've got the churchills, robustos and torpedo's). Yum.... Makes me want to grab a smoke right now.

These are all super mellow, nice, flavorful smokes if anyone is looking for recomendations.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       07-29-2010, 7:29 PM Reply   
Ashtons? No one's mentioned those, i'm not a big cigar person by any means, and i know they're not luxury, but I thought it was a quality, smooth cigar. Think they were....$11 per? I've liked the Romeo Y Julieta's too. But this is all on a college budget! hahah
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-30-2010, 10:25 AM Reply   
Ben.... all the smokes I mentioned can be had for $5-8 ish a stick if you find them on special. I'm not into smoking super expensive cigars on a regular basis. I'll leave the Davidoff's for the rich guys with Tommy Bahama shirts. He, he, he.

Looks like I'm starting to sound like a broken record with the RP royal orders, but I can't get over how tasty they are.
Old    dhorton            07-30-2010, 12:13 PM Reply   
Here's a pic of what I'm packing to the golf course today.
DPG Blue, Padilla '32, Padilla Dominus, Oliva V
Attached Images

Old     (stu929)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-30-2010, 5:27 PM Reply   
David,

That is one lovely travel case. Never had the Dominus but the Oliva, 32 and DPG are all very good smokes!

Love the cutter too. Have you ever tried a Palio? Got a carbon fiber one on a group buy and will never look back!

32's are my Fav......Yummmmmmmmmmmmm!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-31-2010, 6:36 AM Reply   
Looks like someone loves a belisco.....

Hope you hit 'em straight David....
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       08-01-2010, 10:34 PM Reply   
Sancho Panza, Churchills very full bodied ... good till the very end...best cigar under $10
Old    dhorton            08-02-2010, 7:56 AM Reply   
E.J. ~ guilty as chared... I love the belicosos. All things equal, I'm going for the beli every time.

Steven ~ do yourself a favor and try the Dominus, you can thank me later. All the flavor and strength of the Padilla Miami, cranked up a couple notches. The Xikar is my favorite cutter by far, probably a little slanted since my wife and 9YO gave it to me as a fathers day gift a few years ago.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-05-2010, 4:14 PM Reply   
UPS man stopped by today.... Have a beli for you David....

Old    dhorton            08-06-2010, 9:09 AM Reply   
Nice looking sticks there EJ. Slippery slope EJ, whats your inventory up to now days? 200? 300? I've never had an Illusione, but I'm always ready to try something new.

Speaking of something new, I tried 3 new sticks this week between fly-fishing and golfing that were all worth trying out and maybe adding to your lineup.
601 Red Habano
Cusano LXI
Torano Exodus '59
Old    dhorton            08-17-2010, 3:17 PM Reply   
EJ the UPS man just dropped some more lovely's at my house. Just got a box of Camacho Liberty 2010s and a box of AB Tempus Imperators (the Belis). I have a charity golf event Friday my lineup will be '08 Liberty, '09 Liberty, '10 Liberty it's gonna be a good day!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-17-2010, 7:14 PM Reply   
That is a STRICTLY BUSINESS haul to the GC....

I have yet to have a Liberty, but have been eying them(leftover '09's and just released '10's) like crazy..... I can't believe you already have '10's in your possession, they came out like a month ago, right? You have me salivating.....

If you have that line-up you just mentioned in bulk, want to sell off a few for my sampling pleasure?

Just finished a PAM26 #6 out back... Not a bad way to work my way into a Tuesday evening...
Old    dhorton            08-17-2010, 10:48 PM Reply   
My Friday lineup! Let the drooling begin. No doubt I wont be able to wait 'til Friday to try the '10 Liberty.

EJ I'll set a couple aside for you, I'll have to look at how many '08s and '09s I have left I may part with one each of those too.
Attached Images

Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-14-2010, 6:55 PM Reply   
Okay, so purchased and smoked a 2008 Liberty while tailgating for the Utah vs Pitt game, then a 2007 Liberty tonight.

The 2007 was a very nice cigar.

The 2008 may have been the best cigar I have ever smoked.... Maybe it was the setting and everything fell into place, but that cigar is a MONSTER.
Old    dhorton            09-16-2010, 7:47 AM Reply   
EJ let me know if you want to try an '09 or '10. Personally I like the '09 a little more than the '08, but they are both great. The jury is out on the '10, I'll probably let them rest for 6 months before I fire another one up.
Old    dhorton            10-02-2010, 10:53 AM Reply   
I tried 2 new sticks this week I would def recommend to anyone that likes a full bodied cigar.

First the Joya de Nicaragua Antaño Dark Corojo. I had the 4.7 X 60 Beli and it was top notch.
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...J2D&stext=joya

Second the Oliva Master Blends III. I had the 6 x 52 Torpedo and was so impressed I already have 20 on they to the house.
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...20Blends%20III
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-04-2010, 11:29 AM Reply   
I just picked up a box of Joya de Nicaragua Classico Toro and found a deal on 6 pack's of the Rocky Patel Royal Orders Torpedo's. I'm all set for my vacation in Mexico. The Joya's were a steal. $3/stick. I'm suprised less people caught onto those. I thought they were a great buy at $5.

Mix in a few Cuban's and I'll be dialed.

Last edited by guido; 10-04-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-04-2010, 6:40 PM Reply   
Looks like everyone is making purchases....

I blind ordered a box of El Centurion Guerreros by Don Pepin....total impulse buy..... Have a box of Fuente Don Carlos No. 2's ordered as well....

Evan, man....I don't know about going to Mexico right now.... Maybe I just think too much, but things are nuts down there right now....
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-05-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
I'm definitely not headed for a border town. Cabo is nice and deep and on it's own peninsula. The drug lords can have Tiajuana. We'll see what happens. I've been every year for the last 10 years. I've not really seen much change of scenery down there. It's been pretty consistent. The only thing I'm seeing is a huge infusion of american dollars.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-06-2010, 11:18 AM Reply   
had a Tatuaje 7th Reserva at lunch today... Very good. didn't need any time to develop. It was great right from the first draw.
Not a bad price either. <$9

Last edited by snyder; 10-06-2010 at 11:19 AM. Reason: spelling...
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-06-2010, 5:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyder View Post
had a Tatuaje 7th Reserva at lunch today... Very good. didn't need any time to develop. It was great right from the first draw.
Not a bad price either. <$9
Yet to have a Tat that I didn't enjoy.... Though admittedly my experience is limited to the brown label & black/red tubos. I have looked hard at a box of J21's for a bit....

Offered a box of Tatuaje "The Face" today.... *thinking hard*

Found these on the countertop when I came home....

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-07-2010, 12:41 PM Reply   
Hey guys.... Quick question. How do you travel with your cigars? I want to bring about 10 down to Mexico with me. I'll be there for a week. I have a small humidor that I could pack, but is it necesary? If I pack them up in zip-locks how long before they start drying out?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-07-2010, 2:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
Hey guys.... Quick question. How do you travel with your cigars? I want to bring about 10 down to Mexico with me. I'll be there for a week. I have a small humidor that I could pack, but is it necesary? If I pack them up in zip-locks how long before they start drying out?
Worth the $30 or whatever.... Should be able to pick one up local without a problem... IMO protection is as important as humidity....

http://www.riverfrontgifts.com/Produ...3&product=9984

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-07-2010, 3:41 PM Reply   
I've got an aluminum case that I'll carry them in (similar to that one). Just curious if I should do anything about humidity in the case.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-07-2010, 4:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
I've got an aluminum case that I'll carry them in (similar to that one). Just curious if I should do anything about humidity in the case.
IMO it wouldn't be a big deal.

That said, my last week long vacation, I threw in a 65% Boveda Pack....
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-07-2010, 4:11 PM Reply   
Evan, no the humidity down there should be plenty good (a little high if anything) for the short time you'll be down there. If you're worried about the humidity get a Humid-EZE Stick Humidifier to keep in the case.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-08-2010, 7:10 AM Reply   
be careful of the regular distilled water humidifiers that come w/some carry cases. Most cases have a complete seal (unlike a humidor) so the humidity just steadily transfers to the cigars. I learned that the hard way. It was like trying to smoke thru a soaked sponge after only keeping them in there for about 1/2 a day. The guy at a local shop said in a sealed box, they should keep for travel for at least a week to 10 days w/o any problems, but if you put any water in there, use only a small amt. or better still, one of the self regulating kind like the cigar guru EJ mentioned above.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-08-2010, 12:42 PM Reply   
Awesome, thanks guys.... One of my friends soaked some Bolivars by putting to much water in the humidor. They ended up molding. Bad news. I'll toss them in the travel case and go. I don't get near enough excuses to hang out and have a cigar, so I'm looking forward to a week of lounging.
Old    dhorton            10-11-2010, 3:05 PM Reply   
Evan I use the same style boxes that EJ posted, they work great. I don't worry about humidification with them since they are sealed and I'm only opening them for a minute at a time. I have a couple small 5 stick boxes that I use all the time to throw a few cigars in my golf bag or in with my fly-fishing gear so they don't get wrecked

I was in Cabo earlier this year and had a great time. Spent the first 3 days doing nothing but sitting on the beach in front of the resort drinking cold Pacifico. I did manage to find a good cigar shop near the marina, prices are the same as I've paid in Canada. Then played two rounds of golf on the Cabo Del Sol courses. The Ocean course was awesome but super pricey.

Montecristo No.2, Partagas Series P No.2, Partagas Series D No.4

Hole 17 Cabo Del Sol Ocean Course
Attached Images

Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-11-2010, 3:32 PM Reply   
That is beautiful....

Bet I could find the rocks....
Old    dhorton            10-11-2010, 6:34 PM Reply   
If I remember correctly it was 185 yards, all carry as the flag was maybe 10 yards over the bunker you can see on the very right hand side of the green. I hit the shot of the day/year and stuck it inside 10 ft... but alas all I could do was 2 putt for par I suck at golf... much more accomplished at smoking cigars
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-12-2010, 8:07 AM Reply   
that looks awesome. I think i've played that hole before (on a PC golf game about 10 yrs ago. ha ha).

Has anyone tried Nica Libre Cigars? I got some w/a sampler pack that i ordered from Cigars Int'l. It was pretty friggin good. the wrapper was a bit veiny and that caused it to burn unevenly about 1/2 way through, but it evened out eventually. draw was perfect. slightly sweet/nutty taste (to me) was a bit bold. the smoke was not as thick as i like but not too thin either.

We took the kids to the renaissance festival this weekend and i didn't realize i could have brought a stogie w/me.. i wasn't going to pay $17 for a $6 cigar, so i found this shop out there was some never heard of start-up i guess called "Lucho".... should be Yucko!. It was terrible. Way too wet, way too tightly rolled.... I had to draw on it 3 times each draw just to keep it lit. nothing noteworthy about the taste either. just a waste of money.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-13-2010, 7:50 AM Reply   
These came yesterday... Look forward to firing one up.... Below is the review that had me pull the trigger on the blind purchase. These guys seem to be spot on as far as my taste goes...

http://www.stogieguys.com/2010/09/09...peradores.html

Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-13-2010, 7:54 AM Reply   
Oh...and Robert, I have no experience with Nica Libre....
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-13-2010, 10:16 AM Reply   
David, that course is right on the same beach where our hotel is. It georgous over there. I can't wait. That's the course I was thinking of playing, but I think it's about $350 with club rental. Not sure I can stomach that with my crappy golf skills. Might be worth it, though.

I've been to the cigar shop you mentioned in the marina. The owner is a straight shooter. There is another one behind the Giggling Marlin that is a joke. They were charging $20/stick for Bolivar's. Ouch. They actually have a decent cigar shop at the Hacienda Del Mar, where we're staying. Maybe $2/stick overprice, but fair. I'll probably pick up a couple cuban's there for the novelty of smoking something difficult to get here.

Update on the Joya Classico Claro's that I got a case of.... I'm kinda bummed. The last round that I had were awesome. Great flavor all the way through. These showed up and the wrappers were a bit lighter. They've got kind of a chemical flavor through the middle and a a bitter pepperier up front. They got much smoother and more flavorful about 1/2 way through. I'll smoke a few more and see how they are. I loved the last round, so this was kind of a disappointment. Oh well.... You can't win them all, right?
Old    dhorton            10-13-2010, 3:09 PM Reply   
Evan ~ We stayed at La Fiesta Americana, our room overlooked the private beach and hole 5&6 of the Ocean course. I had my clubs with me, but I think the ocean course still ran me 200-250ish for twilight rate. The other cabo del sol course is just as nice and half the price, just not on the ocean.

EJ ~ You've been collecting some top notch sticks... I've yet to have a DPG blend I didn't like. I think its time to get together and swap some stogies! I a few AF God Of Fires, Camacho Liberties, La Auroro Preferidos I might be willing to part with.

Robert ~ I've never had a Nica LIbre. When I first saw them they seemed to me marketed as an inexpensive alternative to Padron, so I never gave them much thought. I've seen pretty good reviews... so many cigars... so little time
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-13-2010, 5:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhorton View Post
EJ ~ You've been collecting some top notch sticks... I've yet to have a DPG blend I didn't like. I think its time to get together and swap some stogies!
I agree David.... Hell, get together and smoke some sticks, as long as this weather cooperates... It has been soooo nice lately....

Do you follow the Pete Johnson(Tatuaje) Monster Series releases for Halloween? I may have your Halloween stick(or at least one of them) already picked out for you.....
Old    dhorton            10-14-2010, 6:30 PM Reply   
EJ ~ definitely need to get together and smoke a few sticks! I spent the day fly-fishing and had a la aurora preferido emerald, and a joya de nicaragua dark corojo both were excellent even though the fishing was slow. We may have an opening in our foursome tomorrow at valley view at 1pm if you want to join.

I've heard they do a special blend each year (tatuaje), but I've never hunted one down. I am a stogie ho so im always up for trying something new!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-24-2010, 2:56 PM Reply   
Been on a bit of a buying frenzy....

2010 AF Anejo 77's "Sharks"

http://www.stogieguys.com/2008/05/05...nte-anejo.html

Tatuaje "The Face"
http://thesmokingstogie.squarespace....tuaje-the-face

Tatuaje Barclay Rex 100 Anny sticks
http://thesmokingstogie.squarespace....th-anniversary
Old    dhorton            12-06-2010, 10:18 AM Reply   
Nice purchases there EJ! All top shelf, you've got style

Whats your collection up to now?

Its good to see I'm not the only one keeping the economy rollin'
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-06-2010, 10:55 AM Reply   
Had a Ashton VSG Spellbound over the weekend. What a great cigar that was. Wish I had another hour to smoke it, though. I almost cried when it was time to go home and I had 4" of cigar left.

My cigar "season" is basically over right now. Too hard to find some good outside time when the weather's in the 30's and it's dark by the time I get home. Looks like it's time to get stocked back up for next summer.

You guys ever tried La Aurora's? The 1495 #4 is a new favorite.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-06-2010, 8:21 PM Reply   
Not sure where I am David... Not too many, but had to move to a small wineador..... Currently inquiring about having some Spanish cedar shelves & drawers made for it.

Have yet to have a VSG Evan, but have looked seriously about blind buying a box of the torps.... I have never had a La Aurora..... Know David is a fan of the La Aurora Preferido Emerald Tubos.

I hear you on smoking season..... It just isn't the same when it is so cold out.... Was in and out for like 1.5+ hours last night smoking one of those Tat Barclay Rex 100's.....
Old    dhorton            12-07-2010, 8:21 AM Reply   
Evan I have a box of La Auroroa 1495 Belicosos, they are great cigars. like EJ said, the Preferido is probably on my list of top 5 all time (both the emerald and gold tubos). A buddy of mine dubbed the gold tubo the "velvet hammer". Smooth as velvet, but get ready for a nap afterward because your head will most likely be spinning.

I hear you guys on smoking season, its hard to want to go outside and freeze your a$$ off just for your nic fix. My solution... hot tub. Best money I ever spent. Nothing like grabbing a couple cold ones or mixing up a tall cocktail and heading out the the tub with a fine stick to smoke. Guess where I'll be tonight when I get home from my racquetball league (with a 1495 or Preferido in hand)!
Old    dhorton            12-08-2010, 8:41 AM Reply   
EJ these may be a cheaper alternative to having shelves made:
http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/Pr...ctid=ACC-TRAYS
I've had 24 of them in one of my cooler-dors for a couple years and have been happy with them.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-08-2010, 10:24 AM Reply   
Oh man... I miss my hot-tub. I left that behind when we moved. I was just talking to my wife about getting another. There's nothing better than a good workout, then a nice cold coctail/beer in the tub on a cold night. A cigar would make it that much better.

EJ, the VSG's are great, but a bit pricey. They rated really well in Cigar Aficianado, so I had to give one a try over the weekend. I'm not sure if I could drop the coin for a case. I've had a lot of other sticks that I liked a lot for 1/2 the price. I'd have to smoke another to make that call.

The 1495 was the best burning cigar I've ever had. Drew well and had a great flavor all the way through. I could probably get into a case of those. I just need a good excuse. Maybe another warm weather vacation???
Old    dhorton            12-10-2010, 8:23 AM Reply   
Not sure if any of you guys ever buy from JR Cigar, but their 12 days of Christmas promo starts today:
http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=xmasitemlist
Last year they had a few really good deals, so you may want to check it each day. Last year I snagged a box of Camacho Triple Maduros for about half of regular retail.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-10-2010, 1:18 PM Reply   
Thanks David, I'll keep an eye out....

Smoking my first Davidoff Maudro Robusto today in the warmth of a heated garage in about 45 minutes.... There should be some bourbon flowing as well, I hope I don't wreck myself for the hockey game I am expected at tonight....
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-14-2010, 7:20 PM Reply   
Just showed some restraint and didn't pull the trigger on the offer of a bargain priced box of Viaje Holiday Blend P-Robustos.... I am sure I am going to kick myself for this later, but I could chase a limited release every few months it seems.

These are supposedly really good....

Didn't smoke the Davidoff maddie last Friday, went with an '09 Shark instead.... It was fantastic.
Old    dhorton            12-30-2010, 12:12 PM Reply   
Well the JR 12 days of Christmas promo seemed to be a bust this year. I didn't see anything on it that peaked my interest this year.

My only purchase this month has been off cigarbid.com. I snagged 20 Camacho Corojo Diploma belis (08/22) 6.25 x 54. Great cigar by the way if you like full body powerhouse sticks like I do.
Old     (Flavadave)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-14-2013, 7:43 PM Reply   
I'm surprised I havent heard anything from this thread in a while...so lets bring it back! This summer, Ive been enjoying alot of Alec Bradley...particularly their Black Market. Ive also run into a nice cigar by a company called Iconic.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-15-2013, 9:22 AM Reply   
Smoked an '09 EDRM Choix Supreme Thursday, but then went the entire weekend in Vegas without another cigar....WTF(?).

Lately, I have smoked a ton of Tatuaje Regios Reserva & Illusione Rothchildes this Summer. Those Illusione Rothchildes may be the best cigar to come out in some time. Have gone through close to a cab since their release.