Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-15-2009, 12:34 PM Reply   
Ok, so on my perfect pass I have had my servo motor freeze 3 times in the last 6 months. Perfect pass the company has been nothing but helpful in helping me try to solve this issue, and they have covered the motors under warranty.

So I called them today and the tech said that the servo motor must be getting wet, which corrodes it. He asked what type of boat, and I told him I had a Sanger. He said that in some boats that tend to have some water in the engine compartment, which mine does, water can kick up on the servo motor either from the belt or when I accelerate and the water rushes to the back and splashes a bit on the servo motor. Over time it causes the motor to lock up and not work properly. He said that I will need to fabricate something to protect it from water that is splashing up.

So here are my questions:

Has anyone had this issue?

How did you fix it? Did you move the perfect pass motor or fabricate something?

If you fabricated something, what did it look like and do you have any photos?

Thanks so much in advance
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-15-2009, 12:58 PM Reply   
If you have enough water in the bilge for the crank pulley to sling it up on the motor then the first thing you need to fix is how that much water is getting in. Had my Sanger three years and never more than 1/2" of water in bottom from like 2 weeks of house boating. Sounds like your packing nuts need to be adjusted to slow water intake. I would look at the cable from motor throttle body for kinks or chafe points make sure cable slides easily in the housing. Next make sure throttle body operates smoothly and easily. Unless the motor shows signs internally of corrosion than I would say that something is overloading the servo causing it to overheat and fail.
http://www.perfectpass.com/troubleshooting/Trouble.Mechanical.pdf

LINKAGE TEST
This test should confirm whether the PerfectPass throttle cable & linkage
connection is properly working.
With key OFF, push the manual throttle to 1/2 open position. Now take black
knob on servo and slowly turn the knob in a counterclockwise direction, and then
in a clockwise direction.
As you rotate the knob back & forth, you should see the throttle lever on engine
opening & closing very smoothly with each step of the motor. As you turn the
knob counterclockwise, which lets out cable, the throttle will close back towards
neutral. When you rotate it clockwise the throttle will open.
As you rotate the knob back and forth (slowly and quickly), the throttle should
open & close very smoothly and the brass L Adapter at linkage should be rotating
as well to follow cable. At no point should the throttle cable catch, hook or come
into interference with any part that could disrupt the cable movement.
If the cable is rubbing against a decorative engine cover, fuel rail, motor box etc,
adjust servomotor and cable to improve alignment. Many plastic decorative
engine shrouds can cause this problem. Remove temporarily and run boat if you
suspect this could be a problem.
Final Test: With key OFF, push manual throttle to full open position. Watch
PerfectPass throttle cable to ensure it can move freely without binding or
interference.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-15-2009, 1:42 PM Reply   
just coat the motor in corrosion X HD spray.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-15-2009, 2:09 PM Reply   
Rick--heard the same thing from PP when I ordered a new one. I thought had a leaky hose which I think has been fixed. Serpentine belt brought water up to top of motor. However previously in 3 years I had no issues from "sloshing" Good luck.
Old    K.B.C.            06-15-2009, 2:46 PM Reply   
my buddy had the same issue, servo got wet and burnt out. on his new one he fabricated a plastic cover for it. nothing special, I think he just used some plastic and metal flahing tape. you can see it in the below photo. he hasnt had any issues since.

Upload
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-15-2009, 11:20 PM Reply   
Hey thanks guys,

Scott, can you please elaborate on how he built the shield. I am not what you would call handy, so anymore specifics on the shield would be great. Did he mold some plastic, or did he buy something that looked like it would fit the servo motor? Is it on there pretty solid?

Sam,

Where can I get that spray, and should I coat the motor with it before I install the new one? How often should I reapply that?

Thanks a bunch guys