Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old    r_dub            08-02-2005, 11:38 AM Reply   
I’m curious about something. I don’t know why I want to know this, because the answer could make me even more envious.
But, do the pro's that have boat sponsors get new boats every few years, or even every year or at all? If so, do they have to trade their old ones back in? Or are there some lucky "best friends" getting hooked up, or at least the "best friend" price.

I’ve always heard stories, and I have even been hooked up with some free swag in the past from friend’s sponsors from other sports. But Im talking shoes, shirts ect.... BUT. $50,000 boats, that is ridiculous.
Hell, maybe I’m all wrong and they don’t get free boats at all. Or maybe they are at discounted prices. But I wouldn’t doubt that there are the "select" few that have that status/pull with their sponsor to get some freebies.
Anyway, just curious.

(Message edited by r_dub on August 02, 2005)
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-02-2005, 11:43 AM Reply   
Use of a boat for the year, turn it in when the new boat arrives. Some on salary as well. Very few though.

Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-02-2005, 11:44 AM Reply   
I believe they get the boats leased to them for the season and then they are sold after the season is over.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-02-2005, 11:55 AM Reply   
Depends who you are.
Old    r_dub            08-02-2005, 12:05 PM Reply   
Yeah, I would guess it's been a "few" years since Parks has had to pay for a boat. Hell, if he ever has.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-02-2005, 12:14 PM Reply   
Yea, I doubt Parks ever bought his own boat since his dad was a big skier and his whole family are boaters.

I know they sell the pro's boats because I have seen Ricky G and Chad Sharpe's boats for sale online. I doubt they get the money.
Old    r_dub            08-02-2005, 12:17 PM Reply   
Your right Leo, bad example. He was just the first one to come to mind after J-Rods comment of "Depends on who you are".

(Message edited by r_dub on August 02, 2005)
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-02-2005, 12:41 PM Reply   
Promo boats are loaned to pro riders for 1 year, they turn them back in and the dealers then sell them as used promo boats, I own Shaun Murray 03 Team Edition that he used on the backyard tour, his 04 was sold back in May.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-02-2005, 3:31 PM Reply   
Depends on the Boat sponsor as well. Some riders have tower sponsors and stereo sponsors too. They sell the boat at the end of the year and do get to pocket the difference. The Mission2ride adds over $10,000 in bells and whistles. They sell the boat at the end of the year and pay Tige for the boat itself.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       08-02-2005, 8:42 PM Reply   
There are many different versions of 'promo boats'. The first level is factory discounted promo boats that you see pulling local events such as the INT. In most cases these individuals get a discount on the boat price in return for going to x number of events each year. Some companies then buy the boat back, others have the promo person sell the boat and then order another the next year. Most of these people trade up every 1 to 2 years. There are also many shop promos, where boats are lent to college ski teams and individuals, some paying the interest for maybe 3-4 months to use the boat, then turning them back into the dealer. The third 'promo' would be those to pro skiers and riders, in which the boats are mostly sold through the manufacturer I would assume. I know the least about the last, those boats that the pro riders have.