Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old    ssjrmk            05-25-2003, 1:29 PM Reply   
Hey Guys and Gals, a friend's 1850 Capri "diesels", or continues to sputter when you turn it off. He checked the idle and timing and still no solution. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-25-2003, 1:31 PM Reply   
When you turn it off, press the button at the bottom of the throttle to where you can rev it in neutral. Push the gas all the way forward and back up again. This should stop it from sputtering.
Old    walt            05-25-2003, 2:17 PM Reply   
Octane Boost
Old    erlingl            05-25-2003, 2:22 PM Reply   
the carb. may need adjusting
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-25-2003, 2:25 PM Reply   
My 175 did the same thing.. The dealer said that the alcohol in the fuel is causing lots of problems with the smaller merc. motors..
They told me to let it idle for about 10 seconds before shutting it down.. it cured the problem.

B-
Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-25-2003, 6:25 PM Reply   
Steve, what Barry states is correct. Also, have him ask his mechanic to pull up the service bulletin # 97-17 from Mercruiser. It outlines what is happening and specifically states solutions. Some suggestions to minimize run on:

1. Idle engine 1 to 1-1/2 minutes before turning key off.
2. Be sure engine idle mixture, idle RPM and ignition timing are correct. On engines with Thunderbolt IV ignition, setting idle RPM as low as possible can help stop run on.
3. Try a different brand of regular fuel or try some premium fuel.
4. Increase idle mixture by 1/8 turn 'richer.'
5. Go to next colder heat range spark plugs.
6. V6 and V8 only: Install a 140*(60*C) thermostat.

If you need a copy of the bulletin I could fax it to you. Let me know.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-25-2003, 7:37 PM Reply   
Mike,
1 to 1.5 minutes? wow.. 10-15 seconds did it for me.

B-
Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-25-2003, 11:12 PM Reply   
Barry, I'm just quoting the bulletin. On my '96 Bayliner, I don't need to idle even 1 second before turning off. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
Old    ssjrmk            05-26-2003, 7:46 AM Reply   
Hey guys thanks for all the info. Mike would you be able to email me that service bulletin? If not I'll try to hunt down a fax line.
Old    ffejtable            05-26-2003, 2:40 PM Reply   
I have the same problem with my 2001 185 Capri with 4.3L.

I took it in for service (not for this specific problem) and when I got it back I haven't noticed it still doing it. Replacing the thermostat seems to have fixed my problem...
Old    davec            05-27-2003, 8:54 AM Reply   
It's gotta idle first!!!!! that is all