Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-02-2008, 5:52 PM Reply   
I got a new Pioneer head unit, spliced in the new harness, hooked it up and everything works great,

Problem is the back of the HU that is solid aluminum, (not the lightweight case) gets hot as hell when I have the volume up. I am running a single 175W amp to a 12 and 4 interior speakers off the deck. It gets so hot you can't really touch it, and this is only after about two songs. I have never felt another stereo when its on but it seems like its way too hot. I do have all the negatives paired together for front and rear respectively and the directions in the manual said not to do this, will this fix the problem?? I have the ground to the ground from the previous stereo, and the acc and battery from the stereo wired together to the red hot wire from the sanger. the illum wire from the stereo is not hooked up, initially it was and I noticed the high HU temp, let it col down removed the illum wire and it got hot again when gettin my bumo on for about a minute. Also I was using my mp3 player through the earphone jack for one song, and a CD for another with the same results

Like i said it works great and sounds like it should but I think if I left it bumpin for a ten minute period it would melt the internals and catch on fire, thus ending the life of boat and possibly crew, and we don't want that.

Thanks for any help
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-02-2008, 6:54 PM Reply   
Chili you need to separate the positives and negatives to each speaker respectively. This will probably solve your problem. I'm not sure why you would even try that? Do you have your remote turn on to the amps wired to the 12v power supply?

(Message edited by 05mobiuslsv on May 02, 2008)
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-02-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
I did it like that because thats the way it was with the stock stereo. The stock stereo didn't work well when i got the boat (used) and then stopped working for no reason, i replaced it with a loner sony head unit and it worked fine for three times out then won't run CDs anymore so then i bought this pioneer to replace it, maybe every one has fried itself like this, glad I caught it on the one I have had to pay for, i will try and individualize all the speaker connections and hopefully can get this done before hittin the delta Sunday!!
I have the blue/white remote turn on wired directly to my amp, its not spliced in with any power its a single wire to the remote port on the amp

thanks

(Message edited by chilidog on May 02, 2008)
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-02-2008, 7:17 PM Reply   
Hope it works out for you..
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-02-2008, 7:28 PM Reply   
thanks, the remote wire should not be spliced in to the 12V hot correct?? It s just a separate wire in the harness??
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-02-2008, 7:40 PM Reply   
Modern head units can't be wired with a common ground. That is how you have it wired. Older units did use a common ground but these days you have to rewire you speakers so that you have one + and - per speaker. Common ground on newer head unit will fry it. Remote wire should go from head unit directly to remote terminal on amp it’s the blue/white wire.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-02-2008, 7:49 PM Reply   
Chili the remote wire will be blue (should have a tag saying remote) on it to. That's what you run to your amps remote turn on.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-02-2008, 7:55 PM Reply   
Cool that should solve my problem before destroying head unit #3!!! I have the remote as you guys say it should be, just a tweakin to her and it should be good to go!

Thanks again fellas
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-02-2008, 8:19 PM Reply   
A solid blue wire is the power antenna wire and will turn off when any source but the radio is selected. The blue/white wire is the amp turn on.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-02-2008, 8:38 PM Reply   
So you know what deck he has?
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-02-2008, 9:28 PM Reply   
Yeah I have the blue/white wire hooked up to the amp remote, there is a blue wire coming from the boat that is not hooked to anything because i don't have a power antenna, I just have a black wire antenna that kinda worms its way around under the dash, but I have never got any radio station with it on the other HUs,

The deck is a pioneer dep4000 or something like that, its cool but I can't figure out how to change radio stations on the off chance I may get reception.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-02-2008, 10:24 PM Reply   
The color code is standard for almost all head units.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-02-2008, 10:57 PM Reply   
can i go with you sunday?
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-03-2008, 8:45 PM Reply   
If you are not running any speakers off the head unit, you can turn off the internal amp on some brands. I know you can on Alpine decks.