Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 16, 2003

Old    simba            06-08-2003, 6:45 AM Reply   
I have a byerly and a belmont with byerly bindings and it feels 5+ pounds heavier than my friends liquid force trip with suction bindings. Why are they so heavy? I could hardly feel the board under me when I tried his.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-08-2003, 7:13 AM Reply   
the baseplate on the HL bindings is much heavier, along with the heavy duty material that they use with the overlays. The boards are also much thicker which would also make them heavier. I have a substance 141 with ultras and it's light as a feather compared to everyone else's board that I ride with.
Old    simba            06-08-2003, 8:33 AM Reply   
so is lighter better?
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-08-2003, 2:27 PM Reply   
that's a matter of opinion, for me.....HELL YES!! It's like why would I want to wear steel toe boots to play basketball in? Even if the support and grip are good, I'm gonna be held back. Most people can't tell the difference, or they don't care, or they just plain out like the heavy stuff.
Old    krug            06-08-2003, 3:06 PM Reply   
liquid force bindings dont last. I have never had a pair last more than i iowa season. hyperlite lifetime warrantys all there stuff so they must build it tough or they wil go broke!
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-08-2003, 4:06 PM Reply   
Hey Jameson. You must not spend much time on these forums, or in the shops. HL bindings are by far the worst when it comes to durability. I don't care how good a warantee is...When I spend $350 for bindings, I want them to be on my board all season, and not on the UPS truck three times. Thane Dog, heavy duty overlays??
Wow, you guys are brainwashed.... I bet you think Burton is the best too.
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       06-08-2003, 4:33 PM Reply   
have you ssen a hl overlay last years broke since they had wet spots when they heated the goo to make the over lay the new ones are very strong and shouldn't rip. if you new wat u were talkin bout you wouldn't get thrashed. and if you think that is wong try and fight it even though i got it straight from teh hl rep

(Message edited by wakeeater on June 08, 2003)
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-08-2003, 4:38 PM Reply   
I didn't mean durable, the key word in heavy-duty is HEAVY!! I've spent a lot of time in a shop and I'll agree with Magellan that the '02 HL bindings did spend a great deal of their time getting fixed. HL does issue a lifetime warranty, but you're gonna pay for it. Look at the MSRP of a high end HL binding to a LF binding. I had exo's and ultras and rode the crap out of 'em and not a wimper, still going strong.

Jameson - HL will never go broke here's why: They make a product with inexpensive brittle parts, then turn around and sell it for $400. "hey look, we have a LIFETIME warranty". Big deal, your binding rips and they replace it with a part that costs almost nothing to make. Genius marketing, that's why they do well, and I don't dislike them for doing well, I dislike them cuz their bindings suck.
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       06-08-2003, 6:04 PM Reply   
trust me the new ones are durable. that was the only problem with last years hls i don't really want to get into a fight
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-08-2003, 8:35 PM Reply   
Thane Dog....I couldn't have said it better myself. You did forget to mention every 04 HL product is going to be made in China.
Go USA!
Old    wakeboarder4lif            06-08-2003, 10:12 PM Reply   
you guys are way too into the boots just ride what you want to ride it is a free country here in the USA
My opinion HL rocks and LF sucks, thats right.
I've had a pair of 01 belmonts for two years of heavy riding and never had a problem. Now I'm on a new pair and I've ridin hard on them since christmas and there doing great.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-09-2003, 5:58 AM Reply   
HL is going to be making their '04 products in China? Which products?
That's f'ed up. They have the largest market share and they feel the need to pull that crap.
Can anyone verify this?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-09-2003, 6:00 AM Reply   
everything but the boards has been made there for a while now.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-09-2003, 6:11 AM Reply   
I guess that shouldn't come as any real surprise.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-09-2003, 7:48 AM Reply   
Get whatever bindings and board you want and skip a few doughnuts. That'll make ya lighter.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       06-09-2003, 8:11 AM Reply   
I don't remember which country they are going to be produced in, but most, if not all of the stuff will be made overseas. I am pretty sure their wakesurfing board was made overseas too. I got all of that info from my hype rep, but that was back in april, so I don't remember all of the details. But yeah, they are doing it to shave costs.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-09-2003, 8:28 AM Reply   
Carbon Handles: Made in China, in a factory with very low QC. Hopefully next year hyperlite will crack down on them a bit.
Pro-model wakeskates: Italy, I think the surfers were made there too.
Old    xtremrider            06-09-2003, 8:33 AM Reply   
I have a Pair of 2000 Belmonts-3 seasons and tons of rides and still going strong(0n my 1999 belmont), A pair of 2002 belmonts on my byerly stil going strong just 2 weeks ago switched them to 2003 parks. he reason i buy hyperlites is because they are comfertable, i can ride all day in them, cant say that about the LF. i have seen alot of new bindings comeing out from different companies and i am excited for the next couple of year, we may get some awsome new inovation to the market. I like trying new thing, like right now i am trying to get ahold of a Gator board, heard they were good, not the norm though, ride what feels right for you.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-09-2003, 8:38 AM Reply   
I've seen LF and Double Up bindings fall apart, but never Hyperlite.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-09-2003, 8:46 AM Reply   
as the 2003 bindings have stronger overlays, does anyone know where i can get some, i've got the 2002 3060's and am thinking that'll my problems will end if i have the new stronger overlays.
cheers
Old     (iewc_vp)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-09-2003, 9:47 AM Reply   
J-Rod...You have never working in a Wakeboard shop! I see all kinds of bindings come in ripped, broken, misused, ran over, etc. It all comes down to preference. Some people think that because the binding is $400 it is the best, some people think because it feels good it is the best, some people think because it is light it is the best. Buy what you want and what you like, both HL and LF make awesome products. You just wont see me in HL binding cuz they dont fit my foot right. LF does. If it were the other way around I would not ride LF just cuz they are lighter.
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-09-2003, 10:14 AM Reply   
everyone thinks that hyperlite bindings are the bindings with problems because out of ten problem posts with bindings, 7 are about hyperlite. i bet hyperlite also holds a 70% market share so they have the same amount of problems as all the other companies, they just sell way more bindings. they also fix and repair more bindings, usually at no charge. think about it people.
Old    blais22            06-09-2003, 11:05 AM Reply   
I doubt they have anything near 70% of the market share in bindings. Hyperlite does not fit my feet at all, so I'm ridding LF now. I have not hade any problems with them at all. Of the friends that do ride hyperlite, all but one has sent in their overlays to be replaced. Every company is going to have quality issues with some item or items. I hear that Hyperlite has fixed the overlay issue for 03. I know the overlays are now thicker, but I haven't seen it firsthand to know if it's been fixed.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-09-2003, 11:10 AM Reply   
I only ride sandal style bindings - they never break. They fit everyones feet perfectly - never to tight. There is no room on them for lavish branding. Also the price is great - its the only way to go. Also, I never hear bad things on wakeworld about them, they must be great since nobody hates sandal syle bindings.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-10-2003, 3:11 AM Reply   
thats because noone really rides with sandals, they don't give anywhere near as much support or control over the board,

root, have you ever use a pair of high wrap boot bindings?
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-10-2003, 7:27 AM Reply   
poor poor harry. too short. that one went right over your head.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-10-2003, 10:39 AM Reply   
mike, are you just sarki or is it me??
Old    crash_and_burn            06-10-2003, 12:28 PM Reply   
Only fat people ride hyperlites.. LF riders are all well built good looking dudes and hot chicks
(right)
Old     (iewc_vp)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-10-2003, 4:39 PM Reply   
You know what that is so true look at this guy. LF Ultras and LF Substance. He has a LF wakeboard bag too and he has to be the HOTTEST guy in all of wakeboarding. Man if only I was that hot I bet the chicks would instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano!

(Message edited by iewc_vp on June 10, 2003)
Old    hlboatsnboards            06-10-2003, 5:52 PM Reply   
Hey Tim...what do you think about that Substance? Been eye balling the 41 for some time now, have yet to try her.

HL stuff is way to high priced for same quality as everyone else. I personally would never pay that much of an upcharge for the name alone.

B
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-10-2003, 6:01 PM Reply   
In my opinion, i know it is unpopular, but here it is ne ways, personally i like hyperlites better than LF. My first bindings were some LF pro suctions, they stunk! i couldnt get me broken in and the were just uncomfortable, and a pain to get in and out. So i demoed some new bindings, including LF bindings, I ended up getting some HL 3060's they are much more comfy, and easy to get in and out of. I do not know how u guys r tearing the bindings, unless ur putting them in the prop! thats what i think. People ride what u want, suport the wakeboard comunity, dont make sides, cause all we want to do is have some fun!
Old    steve2237            06-10-2003, 8:23 PM Reply   
wakewhore- salmon of capistrano? are you sure you dont mean swallows? hehe
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-10-2003, 9:17 PM Reply   
Of the seven boards we carry on our boat all but 2 have LF bindings, 1 HL and 1 Obrien. The O briens ripped but they were 6 years old.
Of all the friends that I ride with, 3 have had problems with thier bindings. All 3 were HL, less than one year old. My 7 year old has the HL bindings, no problem so far, but I would never consider HL for an adult. (only because they did not last for my adult friends).
The only problem I have ever had with LF is the thumb screws that they send are sometimes too short and we end up changing to a more expensive bolt down system.
BTW- HL stood behind thier product. My friends had to pay shipping and waited about 3 months, but if you break 'em in late October it's no big deal.
Old    wakeness            06-10-2003, 9:18 PM Reply   
I ride a Byerly 139 with Lace up LF Pro sucs.
It's probably ONE of the sweetest setups in, well, anywhere.
I have ridden LF Bindings for 6 years. I tried a pair or '02 Highbacks last season, blew them apart and have since returned to the Liquid Force boots.
I prefer Hyperlite boards due to the shape, construction and warranty. I had a '98 LF Squirt and broke it too. I haven't busted a HL board yet.
I think I've found a good mix.