Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 04, 2005

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-13-2004, 3:09 PM Reply   
I know we've done this in the past, but I wanted to get all the latest and greatest hot tips. I'm buying a trampoline and wanted to get everybody's input on the best one to get without breaking the bank. I notice that there is a huge range of prices for a 14' trampoline.

I definitely want something with springs (not bungies) that will hold my 200 lbs. I'm thinking 14' is the way to go. I'll be digging a hole for it and surrounding it will grass, so I don't need the enclosure. Any input is appreciated!
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-13-2004, 3:16 PM Reply   
Dave - I would suggest getting a 16'.

We used to have a 16' until the sun got the best of it, we bought a 14' to replace it, and ever since I wished we had got a second 16'. The extra two feet give you a lot more margin for error. I feel 20 times safer on a 16 footer.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-13-2004, 3:17 PM Reply   

I learned the hard way that you get what you pay for. I have a 14' jump king ($150.00 from wallmart) and it's a piece of shizzle. It's takes a lot more energy to get the height. The more expensive trampolines have WAY more bounce with a lot less effort. A friend of mine paid about $400.00 for his and it was much nicer. Not sure on the brand.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-13-2004, 3:18 PM Reply   
I agree. Bigger sweet spot for the pop with a 16' too.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-13-2004, 3:24 PM Reply   
I gave a friend a hot tub and he gave me his trampoline in return. I tried doing some flips and crap! I realized I am never going to be able to do an invert. I tossed my cookies and was dizzy all day. I hate getting old.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-13-2004, 5:53 PM Reply   
True on the bigger tramp. A couple feet translates into a big difference.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-13-2004, 9:57 PM Reply   
I bought my 16' jumpking from Sam's Club for $180. Don't worry bout the enclosure, just hold onto the the handle.

Dave, are you honestly looking to dig a hole in your backyard 14-16' in diameter to house your tramp? Do you have a backhoe? Cause thats a LOT of dirt. I forgot my geometry, but im sure thats more than 6 yards of dirt. A dump truck is 6 yards of dirt for a point of reference. But I guess a positive is if it rains, you are half way to a swimming pool.
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-13-2004, 9:57 PM Reply   
I Agree with everything but my family bought a trampoline about 10 years ago and it is definately different than all the new trampolines. Even by the same company. When we got ours new it was much more springy. (is that a word?) than the new ones today. Also like others have said you really get what you pay for. I have a hole for a trampoline and it will be level with ground. It is nice and a lot more safe that way. But the downside is it only will hold a 14 foot trampoline. Another idea, although it will cost significantly more is a square trampoline those things are awesome . Let me know what you end up purchasing because i am in the market for one also. Good luck
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-13-2004, 11:43 PM Reply   
a small dump truck holds six yards. Standard 10 wheelers and cement trucks have a 10 yard capacity. Regardless, it's still a lot of dirt to move.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-13-2004, 11:49 PM Reply   
Yes, there will most likely be a backhoe involved and I can use the dirt to fill up the hole I created to build my 50 track. I can always use more dirt!
Old     (sacdeep)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-14-2004, 2:13 AM Reply   
The only problem I had with my tramp was my homeowners insurance was cancelled after the term was up. So just be aware of that if you are a homeowner
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-14-2004, 6:09 AM Reply   
haha..nice. Dave is building a playground in his backyard! When is the party Dave?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-14-2004, 10:19 AM Reply   
Every third day! :-)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-14-2004, 10:36 AM Reply   
I agree with the cheap tramp thing... They ain't got no spring. I finally took mine down because it just wasn't getting the job done. For some reason the square ones seem to have move bounce.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-14-2004, 10:40 AM Reply   
i can't believe you are actually going to get a backhoe and dig a huge hole, that's too funny....i want the first bounce!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-14-2004, 12:05 PM Reply   
My buddy did it and it makes it so much safer. It looks a lot better too.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-14-2004, 12:37 PM Reply   
I was thinking of doing that but like you guys said,where to put the dirt?
Ohh I got a cheap one from Walmart...Dawm now I wanna try the good ones!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-14-2004, 12:42 PM Reply   
Yeah. My trampoline is a major eye sore in the back yard
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-14-2004, 2:09 PM Reply   
I can confirm the homeowners cancellation comment by Sacdeep. Call first Mr. Dave or you may dig a bigger hole than you intend too.

Rick
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-14-2004, 2:21 PM Reply   
Your insurance was cancelled because of the liability of the trampoline?
Old     (oldguy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       12-14-2004, 2:32 PM Reply   
Dave,

Can you post a pic of the 50 track?

Tim
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-14-2004, 2:45 PM Reply   
Jarrod:
No my insurance wasnt cancelled because I dont have a trompoline. However I have had quite a few customers that have, and as a broker can advise of the 10-20 companies we represent NONE of them will accept a trampoline. They are considered far mor dangerous than a swimming pool with a diving board due to back and neck injuries. I even had 1 customer that had it blow away in huge gust of wind across 2 acres and slam into neighbors 200K Prevost deisel pusher causing over 30K paint damage. "Yes it was anchored down just not well enough". Dont shoot the messenger, just trying to save you guys some hassles.I too would love to have one.
Rick
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-14-2004, 2:47 PM Reply   
Yeah, I am sure Dave already knows this, but anyone considering a trampoline should thoroughly research both the safety and insurance issues. Once knowledgable, it becomes a risk/benefit analysis that is up to each individual homeowner/parent. But you can't make that analysis properly without doing the research first.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-14-2004, 4:12 PM Reply   
It's hard to photograph because it's big and the whole area is the same color (dirt brown), so the track itself doesn't stand out very well. Here is a pic I took from the roof a while back. It's actually four pics "sewn" together with a red line that follows the track and green dots at each jump. It's had some improvements since then and all that green is now black, but I'm not taking another pic! :-)

Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-14-2004, 4:23 PM Reply   
It's nice to have pixel width restriction for picures. I'm just glad everone can't post pics that big. I'm gonna talk to the owner of this company and tell on you!