Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (rubberduckey)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-23-2011, 6:36 AM Reply   
when im doing suface 180s it is really hard to do should i take the fins off ?also what about air 180s?
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-23-2011, 7:36 AM Reply   
It depends on your board. Some boards require more effort to break the surface tension than others to do surface spins. If you're just learning to jump it's worth keeping your fins on to avoid slipping out on landings. Air and ollie/hop 180's will not be affected by your fins.

You may want to try weighting your feet differently, if you're placing too much weight on your rear foot the front of your board will be sitting high out of the water and you could be trying to force all of the surface tension from your back foot. Try to place more weight on your front foot and then give it a try.
Old     (rubberduckey)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-23-2011, 7:50 AM Reply   
ok thamks i am still a begginer but i can jump the whole wake i have a liquid force ps3 141
Old     (blatantblunts)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-23-2011, 8:18 AM Reply   
it all depends on your riding preference and what feels better to you. when you get better with your edging you will have an easier time controlling the board without fins on it. I personally ride with the center fin off and rely on the molded in fins on the corners to hold my edge. it helps for a better release off the wake.

be careful to not fall into the habit of spinning too early off the wake when you have no fins. this can lead to a bad habit, it's better to learn your spins with a fin on first then progress to doing it with it off..
Old     (coda281)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-23-2011, 8:40 AM Reply   
i have the 2010 version LF PS3, and i took off my fins once just to see what it was like, and I LOVE IT! **advice** try it , if you likeit, then take them off, if not just put them on, it make the surface spins super easy, and landings are still easy
Old     (rubberduckey)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-23-2011, 8:51 AM Reply   
ok thanks everyone i got my new boat in with a tower last night and im going to try it with out the fins later today when i go out
Old     (blatantblunts)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-23-2011, 8:52 AM Reply   
damn lucky to be gettin out there today... while i'm stuck inside this cubicle
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       06-23-2011, 9:09 AM Reply   
Make sure you slow the boat down to 12-14 mph if you are learning to do a surface 180 for the first time, slowing the boat down allows for the fins to break loose on surface 180s and falls will be less painful. I like to think about keeping my arms out, sit in a chair and then transferring weight as I turn my board around, putting more weight on the new back foot
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-23-2011, 10:15 AM Reply   
take the fins off, the moulded fins on PS3's are more than enough. imho
Old     (t0nyv831)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-23-2011, 10:50 AM Reply   
"The harder you cut, the more angle you create, which equals more power. So, if you ride with a lot of fin, you can cut toward the wake without a proper edge."

This article goes into some detail regarding fins. In general a fin should track when you want it and release when you want it to. Check it out
http://wakeboardingmag.com/how-to/hi...-too-much-fin/
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-23-2011, 11:09 AM Reply   
My Lyman has four very shallow fins, 2 molded and two removeable. When I first got that board I couldn't jump it at all. I couldn't get an edge, I'd plow through the wake, if I got pop I got very little. I was super frustrated. I've now learned to edge with the board, obviously I was using a ton of fin on my recoil previous to this board, and now I'm popping more than ever. Fins can hurt your riding if you rely on them too much, but I do think that when used in conjunction with good edge they help you carve even harder
Old     (blatantblunts)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-23-2011, 11:10 AM Reply   
that article sums it up perfectly