Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-10-2007, 7:14 PM Reply   
Anyone have any info about the new enforcement of the ban of ANY beer ect... being onboard? Evidentaly OH DNR has been fining people in rafts, canoes and boats for having any alcohol on board. Isn't that against one or more of my rights as an american?
Old     (scanboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-11-2007, 3:03 AM Reply   
Don't know about this specific case but wasnt that whole prohibition thing a "few" years ago a real killer success? Hardly made any criminals at all and certainly didn't help build any crime syndicates...
Only in America.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-11-2007, 5:07 AM Reply   
No you can go home and drink. Drinking on public land can and is regulated.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-11-2007, 5:53 AM Reply   
From what I understand if you have alcohol on a boat you have the same laws as having it in a car. Around me drinking on a boat is DUI city.
Old     (scanboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-11-2007, 5:54 AM Reply   
Well.. noone's gonna tell me i can't have a beer in my own boat, that's just too "big brother" .. I wouldn't drink on a dock or in a park, but what i do inside my boat is my business. eod.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-11-2007, 6:03 AM Reply   
As long as the person driving is not BUI why the heck should it matter what we do on the privacy of our own boat. I don't advocate being drunk and obnoxious but all these rules keep enchroaching on our liberties, where will it stop? Answere = IT Won't
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       07-11-2007, 6:39 AM Reply   
This law could save someones life.

I am all for allowing everyone to have a good time on their boat but you and I both know that when there is alchohol on a boat sometimes the person driving should not be. I hope you are not driving drunk but you know others are.
Old     (scanboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-11-2007, 6:51 AM Reply   
There's a HUGE difference between drinking on a boat and being drunk while operating a boat. DUI/BUI is stupid and dangerous no matter what and should be punished hard by law, however that has nothing to do with having a drink (or 10) in your boat while docked, anchored, beached or whatever.
Also as Brian stated they've been fining people for having alcohol on board, not even drinking. Imagine being pulled ober and fined cause you had a sixpack with your groceries..
Insanity is contagious..
Old     (97response)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-11-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
Why are they doing it? Because the law in OH says no alcohol on boats.

Yes, I've heard there has been a recent crackdown (more specifically on canoes, kayaks, etc. just out on the small rivers). I heard tickets were being issued as much as $500. In OH, a BUI does not go against your drivers license. It's just a ticket (and a VERY steep one at that).

Your 2 options in OH are to either A.) find a private lake, or B.) move to Kentucky.

Live with it, it's the law.
Old    nwwakerider            07-11-2007, 3:18 PM Reply   
i can see why alcohol is illegal on boats. most of the sober people driving boats have no idea what their doing already. add some alcohol and someone will die.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-11-2007, 4:50 PM Reply   
I live in Ohio and ride @ Ceasars Creek, and I have never heard of this ban. When did this law go into effect, and are they really enforcing it.
Old     (97sunsetter)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-11-2007, 5:43 PM Reply   
Welcome to NOhio
Old     (smokedog2)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-11-2007, 7:07 PM Reply   
yea, they enforce it. They also have a fishing boat going "under cover" trolling around.
Old     (hixsonaz)      Join Date: May 2007       07-11-2007, 9:06 PM Reply   
Lots of laws COULD save lives. Staying home instead of driving or never crossing the street could save lives. The point is to punish those who endanger others...not everybody!

For safety sake start ticketing every jet skiier who wildly zig zags 50 ft behind my boat trying to "jump" my wake---local sheriffs would make the county a killing if they ticketed every one, not the guys who like to have a beer while chilling in a cove. Drunk driving is wrong, but not all who drink drive. Uh...my boat seats 10?
Coming soon near you...boat searches...bag searches...paperwork checks every time you go to the lake!
Oh yea, don't forget about the ballast water act!
Old     (sanguine)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-12-2007, 6:34 AM Reply   
I live in Ohio. My understanding was that on normal waterways alcohol was fine. But, on state park waterways alcohol is not allowed. Some place like Ceasars Creek is a quandry, as the state doesn't own the lake (army corps does...), but the state owns all the land around it. So, you can have alcohol on the lake, but you aren't allowed to bring it there? lol

Maybe someone should start a business of droping cases of beer off the 73 bridge :-).
Old     (sanguine)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-12-2007, 6:42 AM Reply   
Operating Under the Influence of Alcohol or Drugs Prohibited/Testing
(ORC 1547.11 & ORC 1547.111)
No person shall operate or be in physical control of any vessel underway, or manipulate any water skis or similar device if the person is under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. A person is in violation with a concentration of 0.08 or more Blood Alcohol Content (BAC).

NOTE: Legal limit for persons under 21 years of age is 0.02 Blood Alcohol Content (BAC).

Any person who operates a vessel, water skis or similar device shall be deemed to have given consent to a chemical test or tests of their blood, breath, or urine to determine alcohol or drug content if arrested. If a person under arrest refuses to submit to a chemical test the person is prohibited from operating a vessel or water skis or from registering a vessel for a one-year period. If the person is the owner of the vessel the registration certificate and tags will be impounded for a one-year period.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-12-2007, 8:16 AM Reply   
So your saying they allow minors to drink?
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-12-2007, 8:47 AM Reply   
just spoke to Ohio DNR and they "cleared" it up. On small waterways state parks ect.. you have various jusidictions that have laws concering open containers ect... and that is why the enforcement of the laws. On waterways such as Ohio river, Ceasars Creek,Lk Erie ect.. you can have alcohol onboard with open containers but none for driver. KY however can fine you for any open containers underway or anchored. Indiana is same as Ohio per Ind. DNR. I DO NOT advocate drunken operators or riders but we should all be allowed to have beverage of choice on our boats if we choose. Lets all have a great summer.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-12-2007, 9:42 AM Reply   
damn I better not ski wasted anymore
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-12-2007, 11:58 AM Reply   
Snippy - I say don't ski at all.

I'm sort of suprised by this law. Not sure how I feel.