Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-28-2004, 5:43 PM Reply   
http://www.mckeesurf.com/brucemckee/skurf.htm

They got ripped off by us ugly Americans. Pretty interesting how they get no credit but obviously started the whole thing.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-28-2004, 6:43 PM Reply   
who cares who started it? i like it now...that's all that matters to me.
Old    snoobs            11-28-2004, 7:11 PM Reply   
Aussies, ah, we're both the same country, just one of us talks funny!
Old     (cam)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-29-2004, 3:22 AM Reply   
luke wulf sliding on a wakesnake just last week
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-29-2004, 6:21 AM Reply   
What the heck is that dude above riding?

McKee may have been the first to invent or ride a skurfer type board, but I'm not sold on the USA stole his ideas pitch. He said himself it's difficult to launch new products in Australia.

He said the Kiwi on Aiken Products logo (Skurfer manufacturer) "explains the connection" and that his idea was basically stolen...that doesn't prove anything in my mind.

If what he said about Neil whoever taking his fiberglass prototype to Herb O'brien and then basically "shutting" the door on him is true - that's not cool, but who's to say O'brien wasn't also working on some prototypes at that time?

I'm sure there are lots of situations where someone has an idea and then the product comes to be in another part of the country or world without their involvement.

We used to stand up on our kneeboards before wakeboards were invented and we even rode skimboards behind the boat, but I'm not claiming to have invented wakeskating.

Anyways, I'll give credit to him for being a pioneer in the sport regardless.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-29-2004, 7:11 AM Reply   
DMC discovered wakeboarding. we all know that!
Old    tribal            11-29-2004, 7:54 AM Reply   
Here's another link to back that up
http://www.stokecity.ca/skurfing_history.shtml
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-29-2004, 11:45 AM Reply   
That's the same article...I guess you didn't read em'...

Joe may have expressed the popular opinion here on this one. I thought it was interesting.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-29-2004, 11:54 AM Reply   
Anyways, now I know what a "wakesnake" is (I read wakeskate originally). Looks like he needs to shave that fin down a hair - maybe that's what he's doing on that rail.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-29-2004, 2:30 PM Reply   
Those Aussie boards are exactly like the Skurfers that Tony Finn was hucking a couple of years later, down to the shape of that huge fin.

I don't really care either, but I thought it was interesting and I'm bored so I thought I'd post it and stir the pot!
Old     (cam)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-29-2004, 7:37 PM Reply   
craig omeara and luke wulf last year