Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Fx4210)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-03-2013, 3:21 PM Reply   
I know this has been argued before, but I did some searches and realized there wasn't an official battleground thread. The arguments seem to spin out of other threads. So bring the big guns out:

Who wins? G23/25 or xstar?

(This stemmed from a recent trip to a mc dealer where I realized all I have is anecdotal evidence making me want a g) not that I'm going to get any better opinions from here but its worth a shot.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-03-2013, 3:27 PM Reply   
Owning neither, to be subjective, you would need to break it down into pieces.

Looks
Performance
Features
Value

I am only going to comment on the looks. I think the vast majority of people will agree the G23 hands down beats anything Mastercraft has. And the interior, in my opinion, blows everything else out of the water, Mastercraft included.
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-03-2013, 4:30 PM Reply   
I have test drove/ rode behind both and ended up buying a G23. Everything is subjective to the person but here were my thoughts on which won what.

Wake- G23
This isn't even a question. The G23 stock is 2,850lbs devouring the X-Stars 1,400lbs. The wake on the G23 is way more poppy and will get you the height you need.

Design- G23
This is a debatable area but I thought the G23 was better.

Layout- G23
The amount of people you can easily fit in a G23 kills the X-Stars lack of room. I also personally like the walk through into the bow so people aren't stepping on vinyl.

Value- G23
$120,000 for a G23. $140,000 X-Star. Simple Math.

Power- G23
I personally have the 450hp in my G but I have driven the 550 with 10 people in the boat and it took turns and planed in no time. The X-Star does drive with a bit more sporty feel and turning isn't as fast as the G23 but the G23 is a bigger boat.

Features- X-Star
The Linc system is amazing and lets you control everything in the boat with a few clicks of some buttons. The X-Stars 3 Screens and touch screen I thought were a bit confusing.
The tower on the X-Star I would say is a bit better just because its automatic.
The audio in the G23 is OK. I never listened to the X-Stars but I would assume its better because of the JL Audio systems.
The board racks on the X-Star are hands down better then the G23's. They are clamping board racks and they just make life so much easier not having to deal with bungees.
The storage in the G23 kills the X-Stars. I can easily fit 8+ boards underneath seats and such in the G23 and still have room for extra ballast. The X-Star to get a good wake pretty much needs more weight so there goes all your storage.

Surfing- G23
NSS on the G23 is amazing. Way better then surf tabs on the Mastercraft boats. NSS lets you adjust the pocket length and switch sides which I am not sure if the tabs can do either of that.

Thats pretty much all I can think of.
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-03-2013, 5:26 PM Reply   
I like Peanut Butter!!!
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-03-2013, 5:49 PM Reply   
The G is the buddy that always leaves you the tab at the bar, doesn't chip in for gas, and always borrows your favourite muscle shirt and won't return it.

The Star is the buddy that doesn't get mad when you puke in his car, always lets you have the last beer, and angles out the ugly friend in the bar like a pack of wolves cutting the sick caribou out of the herd.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-03-2013, 5:49 PM Reply   
I am surprised that many people really like the look of the G23. To me it is kind of like the Pontiac Aztec of wakeboats. Maybe that isn't fair. It is like a pontiac Aztec in lines and function but with the luxury and fit/finish of an Escalade.
Old     (theboy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-03-2013, 7:18 PM Reply   
i think that the g is the ugliest wakeboat on the market i love the look of the star i think it is one of the best looking the g is so big and bulky haha i even told that to the sales guy to the nautique dealer and he told me it was the best selling and i hate that ugly thing i really do star all the way
Old     (Fx4210)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-03-2013, 9:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHawk101 View Post
I have test drove/ rode behind both and ended up buying a G23. Everything is subjective to the person but here were my thoughts on which won what.

Wake- G23
This isn't even a question. The G23 stock is 2,850lbs devouring the X-Stars 1,400lbs. The wake on the G23 is way more poppy and will get you the height you need.

Design- G23

Layout- G23
The amount of people you can easily fit in a G23 kills the X-Stars lack of room. I also personally like the walk through into the bow so people aren't stepping on vinyl.

Value- G23

Power- G23
I personally have the 450hp in my G but I have driven the 550 with 10 people in the boat and it took turns and planed in no time. The X-Star does drive with a bit more sporty feel and turning isn't as fast as the G23 but the G23 is a bigger boat.

Features- X-Star
The Linc system is amazing and lets you control everything in the boat with a few clicks of some buttons. The X-Stars 3 Screens and touch screen I thought were a bit confusing.
The audio in the G23 is OK. I never listened to the X-Stars but I would assume its better because of the JL Audio systems.
The board racks on the X-Star are hands down better then the G23's. They are clamping board racks and they just make life so much easier not having to deal with bungees.
The storage in the G23 kills the X-Stars. I can easily fit 8+ boards underneath seats and such in the G23 and still have room for extra ballast. The X-Star to get a good wake pretty much needs more weight so there goes all your storage.

Surfing- G23
NSS on the G23 is amazing. Way better then surf tabs on the Mastercraft boats. NSS lets you adjust the pocket length and switch sides which I am not sure if the tabs can do either of that.

Awesome write up from a well informed source spending time in, around, and behind both.

Everyone else is just giving opinions on looks it seems ... I appreciate that, but at the end of the day if it looks ugly but performs in ALL other aspects better, the style takes a back seat (I personally like the look of a g on the water).

Anyone else have water time behind/on/around both?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-03-2013, 10:15 PM Reply   
Have not rode either one, but here at lake powell where i live i have seen three G series boats so far and not a single new x-star.
transporting new expensive boats to a lake in the middle of no-where?? Nautique G series wins.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-03-2013, 11:35 PM Reply   
I have been behind both, maybe 10 hours on the G (23) and 2 sessions on the Star. I am an advanced rider. I have not been on a G25 on water.

Wakeboard wake: G hands down. Though they are both similar in size G is cleaner and easier to keep clean. Star rides bow high when slammed which really shortens the clean "pocket." I rode the Star 24 mph at about 70 feet which is a little short for me but found it to be cleanest there. I like a nice clean lip as it psychologically allows me to hit it harder and with more confidence. I felt like I got a bit more height on the star, likely because it's a touch steeper and the wake was narrower at 70' (ride the G at 80). Edge: G

Surf wake: haven't surfed either as I rank surfing somewhere below being stabbed in the eye with a prop puller and above having my balls dipped in sulphuric acid. Edge: G (andectodal)

Styling: this is subjective of course but the G is the ugliest boat on the water, even uglier than an Axis or Tige. I'm biased here as I've owned two old Stars and love the sleek cougar-like appearance of a slammed Star on the water. I really think the graphic on the side is lame. I don't mind the MC towers whereas the G's tower appears too small for the boat (probably because it's so big). I still can't stand the Star's huge pickles. Edge: Star

Interior size: big win for the G here, much more room for a 23' boat over the Star's supposed 24'. Edge: G

Interior fit and finish: Star wins here; duh, it's a Mastercraft, plus I love aluminum. CC took a step back in the G I found (over the 210/230) probably made worse by the straight angles and crappy faux-teak. The one I was in had a couple hatches rattling and some stitching coming undone, then again, that thing has seen some great parties.
Edge: Star

Interior styling: not a fan of either really. The G's dash is better than the Star's as the mechanical rising screen is the ultimate in gimmicks. I like MC's vinyl and ergonomics better though the G is laid out much better. Love the easy access to batteries, ballast pumps, and cooler. Edge: Draw

Engine: hands down 7.4 naturally aspirated Ilmor. MC gained a major coup in landing Ilmor and I think you'll see MC maintain value better than the other brands because of it. Edge: Star

Handling: anyone that's driven both will know this is a no-brainer. Edge: Star

Other: G has way more internal ballast which is a plus. They both seemed to have similar storage, though I'll give the edge to the G as you'll need to load up the Star to get the same ballast losing storage. G is also cheaper. Star has more of a sexy factor to it, and has better gel scheme. Edge: G

It appears to be a draw, I guess you'll just have to drive both and pick which one you like the best.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-04-2013, 6:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetRanger View Post
It appears to be a draw, I guess you'll just have to drive both and pick which one you like the best.
You rated the G higher in almost ever category, and especially those that matter (space, wake, price, storage) yet it is a draw??!!

For just looking at them, even if the X-star has the "best" wake, it is still a loser. It's a 24' boat with the interior space of a 21' model. It isn't exactly good looking either and is the most expensive wakeboat out there.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-04-2013, 7:45 AM Reply   
News flash kids- The XStar and G23 are priced exactly the same.

I will weigh in, as I own one, and a friend has the other. Spent plenty of time behind both.

Wakeboard wake- I like the steeper wake, and definitely get more pop, with less effort, out of the XStar. The G is easier to keep clean at lower speeds, And is still an awesome wake. It is a challenge in the star under 22mph. I ride at 23-24, so I don't have a problem with it. I am split on this..... I love them both, but for me, I would rather ride the XStar.

Surf wake- Contrary to popular opinion of people who have never surfed one weighted properly- The Star puts out a pretty good surf wake. It has to be weighted with everything you got in the back locker, and nothing forward of that. Unlike other boats, a full coffin locker will actually hurt the wave. It is every bit as good as my friends G23 as far as size, length, and push. (Actually more push) However, the G23s ability to switch sides, and weight the boat evenly are game changing. The G23 kills the Star in this category.

Looks- XStar by a mile. Park them next to each other...You will piss yourself, laughing.

Interior room and layout- G23 by a mile.

Interior ergonomics and comfort- XStar. People are not square, and they don't like to sit at a 90 degree angle. The Star kills the G in this category.

Fit and finish- Both are great, but the XStar is fancier.

Storage-They both have tons! The g23 has more in the lockers, but the star has a much deeper coffin and a bigger pass through on the port side. Tie.

Stereo- XStar. The G23 system sounds like it came out of a 1987 chevy cavalier. No depth and very tin like sounding. The JL system in the XStar is top notch.

Engine- I have the 7.4l, and it is an animal. I can't comment on the 550, because my friends boat has the 450. I have never drivin an inboard, with power and a sound, like that Frankenstein 454 small block. It is incredible.

I don't know which I like better. I love them both. I do love all the keyboard riders that say the XStar wake sucks just because they saw the test boat development video two years ago. Go ride it. If you can ride at 21+, which is what it was designed for, you will love it.

Last edited by Fixable; 07-04-2013 at 7:47 AM.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-04-2013, 8:20 AM Reply   
I will say this, if it wasn't for the G's great wakeboard wake it would be a huge dud. It's expensive, ugly, handles like Antonov on the tarmac, has a engine that's sporting 10-year old technology, and pretty much said "FU" to the concept of lounging on the rear sunpad. It's a one-trick wake pony.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-04-2013, 8:42 AM Reply   
The fact is the G and Star are really 2 different boats. It was always easier to compare 230 vs Star.

I think anyone seriously shopping this bracket would do well to look at the 230, X25, X30, 23LSV, Z3, etc because I think using the comparison approach that we are many of these boats would stack up well and beat out the Star and G.
Old     (Fx4210)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-04-2013, 6:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixable View Post
News flash kids- The XStar and G23 are priced exactly the same.

I will weigh in, as I own one, and a friend has the other. Spent plenty of time behind both.

Wakeboard wake- I like the steeper wake, and definitely get more pop, with less effort, out of the XStar. The G is easier to keep clean at lower speeds, And is still an awesome wake. It is a challenge in the star under 22mph. I ride at 23-24, so I don't have a problem with it. I am split on this..... I love them both, but for me, I would rather ride the XStar.

Surf wake- Contrary to popular opinion of people who have never surfed one weighted properly- The Star puts out a pretty good surf wake. It has to be weighted with everything you got in the back locker, and nothing forward of that. Unlike other boats, a full coffin locker will actually hurt the wave. It is every bit as good as my friends G23 as far as size, length, and push. (Actually more push) However, the G23s ability to switch sides, and weight the boat evenly are game changing. The G23 kills the Star in this category.

Looks- XStar by a mile. Park them next to each other...You will piss yourself, laughing.

Interior room and layout- G23 by a mile.

Interior ergonomics and comfort- XStar. People are not square, and they don't like to sit at a 90 degree angle. The Star kills the G in this category.

Fit and finish- Both are great, but the XStar is fancier.

Storage-They both have tons! The g23 has more in the lockers, but the star has a much deeper coffin and a bigger pass through on the port side. Tie.

Stereo- XStar. The G23 system sounds like it came out of a 1987 chevy cavalier. No depth and very tin like sounding. The JL system in the XStar is top notch.

Engine- I have the 7.4l, and it is an animal. I can't comment on the 550, because my friends boat has the 450. I have never drivin an inboard, with power and a sound, like that Frankenstein 454 small block. It is incredible.

I don't know which I like better. I love them both. I do love all the keyboard riders that say the XStar wake sucks just because they saw the test boat development video two years ago. Go ride it. If you can ride at 21+, which is what it was designed for, you will love it.
Solid write up for sure!
Old     (Fx4210)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-04-2013, 7:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
The fact is the G and Star are really 2 different boats. It was always easier to compare 230 vs Star.

I think anyone seriously shopping this bracket would do well to look at the 230, X25, X30, 23LSV, Z3, etc because I think using the comparison approach that we are many of these boats would stack up well and beat out the Star and G.
Not trying to start a riot, can you go a bit further? Nautique and mc placed these two boats squarely against each other as close competitors, in price and as their flagship boats? I don't follow your logic just yet. Some clarification would be appreciated.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-04-2013, 9:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHawk101 View Post

Wake- G23

Design- G23

Layout- G23

Value- G23

Power- G23

Features- X-Star

Surfing- G23

Great write up. I agree with almost all of it. The MC command center that you thought was great has yet to be ironed out. With the. Coolness of all those features and useability is absolutely fantastic while you're in the showroom a quick search almost anywhere will bring their nightmare of a system to light. 2012 boats took over a year to get any info on how to get it to run properly. MC had no idea what was going wrong. Update after update could not kill the electrical gremlin hidden in all their boats. I have a family member with a 25 that bypassed the command center and had to rewire his entire ballast system just to get it to function properly.

2013 has started off pretty similar it seems for the guys taking recent deliveries. Constant reboots and freezes.

I have a neighbor on my lake with a 210 and their Link system has worked flawlessly in the 3 different boats he's owned.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-04-2013, 9:54 PM Reply   
Interior Space Of The Xstar blows Compared To The G. Check Out The Arizona V Thread Under The Find A Third Thread. I Wrote A Pretty extensive Review On The Xstar
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-05-2013, 6:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4210 View Post
Not trying to start a riot, can you go a bit further? Nautique and mc placed these two boats squarely against each other as close competitors, in price and as their flagship boats? I don't follow your logic just yet. Some clarification would be appreciated.
The biggest factor is design. The G is built big and deep. This gives the G lots of room for internal ballast and storage, though sacrifices handling and appearance. The boats have two different inherent morphologies, and though they do the same thing (make wakeboard wakes), they somewhat do it in a different way. It would be unfair to criticize the G for handling or appearance because those things are trade offs for storage, ballast, and ultimately, wake.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-05-2013, 6:49 AM Reply   
Think the next x-star will be totally a different boat that doesn't even resemble this generations? I think they need to go with a whole different look of a boat IMO. Not at all saying this x-star isn't sexy as hell because it is. I just wonder if they will go a whole new direction with the future flagship model like they did with the first pickle fork back in 03. I also wonder how long this newest model x-star will stick around. I think the G is here to stay for a long time. IMO both are great boats. I wouldn't turn down either one.
Old     (wake2snow)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-05-2013, 7:02 AM Reply   
I have been in both boats and rode both boats. They both have the same amount of room especially when you flip all of the G-23 seats to how they are suppose to be sat in to watch. Both wakes are stupid big with just stock ballast but in my opinion the X-star wake has a better shape to it. The X-star drives like a sports car and turns way easier and the G-23 drives like a tank. Head both boats at wakeboard contest at a private ski lake and the G-23 couldn't turn around at the end of the lake and the X-star was able to. All in all both boats are great boat but if I had the money to buy either one I would totally buy the X-star for more money you get better quality and a better over all boat.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-05-2013, 7:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
I will say this, if it wasn't for the G's great wakeboard wake it would be a huge dud. It's expensive, ugly, handles like Antonov on the tarmac, has a engine that's sporting 10-year old technology, and pretty much said "FU" to the concept of lounging on the rear sunpad. It's a one-trick wake pony.
That is genius! I would pretty much call any wakeboard boat a dud that threw a crap wakeboard wake! Wouldn't you? But it excels at more than that in my opinion. I love the way it looks! It's a freaking machine! And it looks like its ready to eat all those other little wake boats from supra,tige,bu and even the star.

And to the guy that said the MC clamping racks were far superior? I don't think so, I've never had a board coming flying out my bungy rack but have personally been on two Mc's that have lost boards that have wiggled out of the clamps. One caused alittle gel damage the other caused a little skin damage!!!!
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-05-2013, 7:16 AM Reply   
And to the guy that said the MC clamping racks were far superior? I don't think so, I've never had a board coming flying out my bungy rack but have personally been on two Mc's that have lost boards that have wiggled out of the clamps. One caused alittle gel damage the other caused a little skin damage!!!![/QUOTE]

This, I've been on an x-star during a busy day that no wakeboarding was going to be done. We decided to do the poker run and had 15 minutes to the final check in, had to stop 3 times to put boards back in the racks from slipping out. Pretty scary to think they could have hit someone.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-05-2013, 8:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake2snow View Post
I would totally buy the X-star for more money you get better quality and a better over all boat.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-05-2013, 9:23 AM Reply   
For those comparing the handling of the two boats...I'd like to know the basis of your opinions - what engines, props and ballast setups are you using? The G23 with the XS550 has no problem turning tight circles with 6000+ pounds of ballast in it. Drop it down to stock ballast (2850 pounds), and it damn near turns like a ski boat.

As for looks - Maybe I've got my beer goggles on, but I can sit and look at this heffer all day.
Attached Images

Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-05-2013, 9:36 AM Reply   
6000 pounds???? Wake pics or it didn't happen
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-05-2013, 10:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_rider View Post
6000 pounds???? Wake pics or it didn't happen
You bet. Here is a screen shot of some video that I'm cutting up. Mike Dowdy rolling in for a launch at the 2013 MN Spring Ride.
Attached Images

Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-05-2013, 10:40 AM Reply   
I came from a malibu.. I demoed and looked at both with a blank slate as I'd never owned MC or Nautique previously.

There was nothing about the G that I didn't like (my wife agreed) and the more I looked, the more I was impressed.

The new X-star turned me off with a number of things immediately. The fit/finish is top notch and the design is beautiful.. but the interior layout is just weird and small, the fact that I needed to lose all my storage with plug/play ballast to get a decent wake, the motorized pop-up dash, the shaky tower, the fact that it's got a horrible surf wake.. to ME, it wasn't close. I called the Nautique dealer on the way home from the MC demo and told him to work me up a quote. It wasn't close at all.

I describe the styling like the 80's Mustang/Camaro rivalry. Those cars were DESIGNED to appeal to opposites. I knew nobody who liked both - you either liked one or the other. One was boxy and mean, the other was more sleek and curvy.. G.. Star.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-05-2013, 11:20 AM Reply   
A lot of is opinion, but I cannot relate to the bad handling of the G. That thing does turn like a D-drive! Far better then any v-drive I ever been in.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-05-2013, 11:21 AM Reply   
Beautiful G Jay
I was on a G23 for the Hyperlite Experience, I like many things the boat offered especially the wake, sure like to spend more time behind it
I'm a huge fan of Mastercraft and the XStar but not having the ability to "walk" through to the front doesn't appeal to me what so ever but one objection isn't a deal breaker
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-05-2013, 11:43 AM Reply   
Just wanna chime in and say the first hand comparisons of these boats are awesome. I bought an x30 this year so I'm not in the market for either one, but having folks who've really ridden both take the time to post details like above is super helpful and I wanted to say thanks to those of you that did so.
Old     (Fx4210)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-05-2013, 11:45 AM Reply   
^^^ +1
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-05-2013, 2:15 PM Reply   
A lot of the posts in this thread seem to be coming from unbiased riders that actually have real world experience with them. It's good to see that on here. Only point that confuses me, is the handling argument..... There is no comparison. The XStar handles a lot better, and amazingly well for a 24 footer.

The G handles more like my old X25 did. Slow to turn in and scrubs large amounts of speed. It is a downside of its incredible hull shape. For as much as I rip around, this isn't a big deal to me. It's nice to turn on a dime, but not a deal breaker in a big wake boat IMO.

Last edited by Fixable; 07-05-2013 at 2:21 PM.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-05-2013, 4:15 PM Reply   
Wow. Anyone else notice that this thread has actually stayed rationale and cool and calm and collected with no fanboys jumping in? There has actual been some genuine good info here from people who have ACTUALLY been in both boats.

Now I know many things here are subjective (wake, looks, etc...) but for anyone to honestly say the G handles better than the Star is mistaken.

Ironj32 you seem like a level-headed guy with some experience in and behind wake boats is it your honest opinion that the G handles well with 6K slammed? Handling fine and handling better than a Star are two different things. Have you driven a Star? I think we can all agree that the G sacrifices some maneuverability due to its hull shape/size. I've ridden both (both with 550 (unsure of prop) and it was no contest. The Star with the 550 handles like a champ, one of the best I'd say.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-05-2013, 4:28 PM Reply   
Nope - Never been in a 2013 XStar (except for the showroom floor), nor have I ever claimed to have been, nor have I ever made a statement with how the XStar handles, nor that the G handles better than it. If you re-read my post you'll find that I just asked for people to provide some more info in regards to engine/prop/ballast with their comparisons. People are making claims that G doesn't handle well, at all, especially compared to the XStar.

As I said, it is my experience that the XS550 with the stock 2850 pounds of ballast dang near drives the direct drive, and exceptionally well when loaded with 6k of ballast, so to hear that people think it drives poorly just makes me curious to know the setups that they are running. To compare a G with the 409/450hp to an XStar with the 7.4L Illmor (pushing out over 520hp), doesn't seem to be an apples to apples comparison.

Last edited by ironj32; 07-05-2013 at 4:31 PM.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-05-2013, 7:12 PM Reply   
I rode the factory demo xstar when it was at our dealer and the wake was big. Bigger than any I have ever ridden. I've been in xstars and 230s with 6000 lbs too and it was still the biggest. The wake was massive and very steep but a smooth enough transition for load and release tricks. It reminded me a lot of my old school 210 when i heavily weighted the front, just a foot taller and thicker with less trough. I think a lot of the complaints the boat has gotten about washing are due to the fact that since it is so steep if the driver isn't holding a good line or it isn't weighted evenly very well then it can wash. My 210 was a great wake but it was always a pain in the ass when you didn't have a great driver in tune with what the rider wanted. Contrasted is my a22 which my wife can pull me and no matter what the wake is rideable. Everyone I have talked to have said the x star and g wakes are te same size just different shapes, the g more rampy and the x star more steep. I think that choosing based on wakes would depend on what the buyer preferred rampy or steep. Interior wise I felt the x star was smallish for the 24 feet and the g felt massive for 23. Te vinyl and fit and finish of the x star were top notch but the g was roomier. I still haven't ridden the g but plan on it very very soon!
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-05-2013, 7:15 PM Reply   
In summation both are awesome boats and demo both and let us know how it goes!
Old     (V8_Killer)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-09-2013, 9:55 PM Reply   
Really solid opinions and reviews from basically everyone. I can't find much to add. I agree with virtually everything said by Jimmy S, JetRanger, etc.

I owned a 2006 X-Star followed by a 2010 X-Star. Combined I put 1,100 engine hours on them in 6 years. My friend has a 2013 X-Star. I've driven it and ridden behind it multiple times, and he's done the same on my G23. I agonized many hours over my decision of which to buy. Spent way too many hours crawling in both boats at the dealerships, boat show, and the 2012 Pro Tour when it came to Dallas.

I think the G23 is SEXY in water. Out of water it looks like a small yacht (in terms of hull shape) and I think its ugly.
The X-Star is beautiful in water and out, very sporty and curvy yet angular.

The X-Star handles significantly better...but I question how important that is to me on a boat. On my Ferrari, yeah. But my boat can be a bit of a pig, honestly doesn't bother me.
The X-Star has a much better OE stereo (at least in-boat speakers...JL tower speakers suck just like Polk do).
The X-Star clamp racks beat my $100,000 rubber band racks all day. In 6 years and all my hours I never, ever, ever had a board fly out nor even come close, even with speeds up to 40mph (rarely that fast but still...). I'll gladly trade my G23 rack system for an X-Star any day.

The X-Star has a peakier wake, but its smaller. Its also softer if that makes any sense. You have to go pretty much one speed to get a clean X-Star wake (about 22.5 - 23+ depending on weight). You need aftermarket ballasts to compete with the G23. My friend with the 2013 X-Star has 21 years of wakeboarding experience, has owned ~dozen boats, and his exact words were "The G23 has the biggest wake I've ever hit on stock ballasts."
G23 wake is truly, truly clean from ~17 to 23+. Pretty awesome for many different levels and ages of riders.

G23 surf wake kills the X-Star. My friend was bragging to me (again) about how much better my surfwake is than his. And don't even get me started on NSS.

I agree the 7.4L Ilmor engine is the best. But my 450 (can't get a 550, I can't get premium on my lake) in my G23 does everything I need it to. I'm on plane in ~14 seconds on OE prop + full ballasts. So while I give the nod to the X-Star, much like the handling ability, to ME it doesn't really matter. As long as the 450 does what I want and need the fact there's a better engine out there isn't relevant.

Like Eric said - PRICES ARE THE SAME. If you think they aren't then one dealer was quoting you a ripped-off amount (not that profit is a dirty word).

I have plenty more to add but most of its been said already.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-10-2013, 8:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj32 View Post
Drop it down to stock ballast (2850 pounds), and it damn near turns like a ski boat.
Sounds like a challenge to me!!!! Let's race....
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-10-2013, 5:10 PM Reply   
2850 pounds of ballast in each boat, you got it
Old     (Khyber)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-10-2013, 5:35 PM Reply   
For all those that have a G23, how many of gallons of gas does it typically burn in an hour of wakeboarding?
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-10-2013, 8:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyber View Post
For all those that have a G23, how many of gallons of gas does it typically burn in an hour of wakeboarding?
I'd ballpark it at 8-10 depending on how fast, how much you fall, etc.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-10-2013, 8:32 PM Reply   
why the fock did you Fx4210 add the g25 into the mix might as well throw in the X46 while you're at it
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-12-2013, 11:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj32 View Post
2850 pounds of ballast in each boat, you got it
I may have to borrow a few ballast bags to fill with air for flotation.
Old     (ers906)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-14-2013, 3:34 AM Reply   
I am only burning through 5.5-6 gallons an hour averaging 40% boarding full ballast, 30% little to no ballast, and 30% surfing with full ballast in my G23 550 hp
Old     (Fx4210)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-22-2013, 1:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by snork View Post
why the fock did you Fx4210 add the g25 into the mix might as well throw in the X46 while you're at it
Last I checked the xstar is a 24' boat ... Seems to make sense to ask about the two sizes since the G23 is 1' smaller and the G25 is 1' bigger, no?

Or is it that the xstar seems like a direct comparison to a g23 (due to its surprising lack of usable space) even though it is actually a foot longer? In all reality we know the xstar is very inefficient at using that extra foot and doesn't even come close to the g's storage, under floor ballast, and general usability?

My 210 has more usable space than an xstar it feels ... Sorry if I'm way off base, just my anecdotal experience.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-22-2013, 1:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4210 View Post
Last I checked the xstar is a 24' boat ... Seems to make sense to ask about the two sizes since the G23 is 1' smaller and the G25 is 1' bigger, no?

Or is it that the xstar seems like a direct comparison to a g23 (due to its surprising lack of usable space) even though it is actually a foot longer? In all reality we know the xstar is very inefficient at using that extra foot and doesn't even come close to the g's storage, under floor ballast, and general usability?

My 210 has more usable space than an xstar it feels ... Sorry if I'm way off base, just my anecdotal experience.
I guess just keep the 210 or step up to the G23 then...
Old     (Fx4210)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-22-2013, 1:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
I guess just keep the 210 or step up to the G23 then...
+1^^^
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       07-22-2013, 2:28 PM Reply   
Does MC measure from the front of the pickle fork back, or do they measure from the inside of the pickle fork or back? If it's from the front, it's realistically a 23' boat as well with 1' of pickle fork. Not hating, not even saying I don't like the look, just pointing that out. IronJ, you're wake is unbelievable, I want to shred that thing or at least try too.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-22-2013, 3:13 PM Reply   
pickle fork back. the boats are esentially the same size.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-22-2013, 3:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakedaveup View Post
Does MC measure from the front of the pickle fork back, or do they measure from the inside of the pickle fork or back? If it's from the front, it's realistically a 23' boat as well with 1' of pickle fork. Not hating, not even saying I don't like the look, just pointing that out. IronJ, you're wake is unbelievable, I want to shred that thing or at least try too.
You'd have to measure total overall length.. or can you imagine the first person who tried to park it in a 23' garage? ouch.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-23-2013, 4:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by superair502 View Post
pickle fork back. the boats are esentially the same size.
+1
Essentially It Is A 23 Foot Boat With An Entire Foot Wasted On The Pickle Fork. As stated above The Only Time Its 24 Feet, Is When you're Trying To fit It In A Garage.
Old     (Fx4210)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-23-2013, 7:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by durty_curt View Post
+1
Essentially It Is A 23 Foot Boat With An Entire Foot Wasted On The Pickle Fork. As stated above The Only Time Its 24 Feet, Is When you're Trying To fit It In A Garage.
Or a lift, a slip, a gas dock ... Any place that you would want to maneuver it right? Would hate to put a dent in the superfluous extra foot, but you can't argue it's a 23 ft boat ... Because its not, it's 24 feet long. Still looks sexy tho!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-23-2013, 8:04 AM Reply   
I think this is why Skier's Choice has gotten away from using the length in the names of their boats. Unfortunately boats automatically get lumped in together by their length. That is fine if you have length restrictions but if I was buying a boat today I would be more worried about the interior space as it relates to seating and storage. The new SC for example is a massive boat but is under 21'. It has a lot of seating and storage for a 21' boat and should probably be compared to most companies 22 foot boats. Another example is when MB first introduced their newer boats. They were absolutely huge in the interior. Their 21' boat had more usable space than most companies 22 foot boats.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-23-2013, 8:39 AM Reply   
I find the space discussion on the Xstar a bit humorous. It is MC's halo boat, the sports car of the MC towboat lineup if you will. I would think if you want more storage, creature comforts, etc, you could look at the X30, X35, or X46.

I am not trying to debate the value of storage, or make excuses for MC. They have more offerings than Nautique, so they can hit more specific niches in the market. Personally, if it were my money I would go G23 all the way and get the boarding wake, surf wake, storage, functionality, and space all in one shot with a "pinnacle towboat." I find the fewer offerings and overlap with the Nautique line more in tune with my way of thinking, but clearly enough people find the MC way of doing things to be better to them.

Different strokes for different folks, just realize there is more emphasis on style and less on overall function with the Xstar. Again, in an ideal world and if its my money, I go G23 all the way. But given my excellent experience with the local MC dealer, I might go the MC route just to continue being able to work with those guys for service. Sometimes when you are looking at two amazing boats, that is the difference maker...
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-23-2013, 1:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
I find the space discussion on the Xstar a bit humorous. It is MC's halo boat, the sports car of the MC towboat lineup if you will. I would think if you want more storage, creature comforts, etc, you could look at the X30, X35, or X46.

I am not trying to debate the value of storage, or make excuses for MC. They have more offerings than Nautique, so they can hit more specific niches in the market. Personally, if it were my money I would go G23 all the way and get the boarding wake, surf wake, storage, functionality, and space all in one shot with a "pinnacle towboat." I find the fewer offerings and overlap with the Nautique line more in tune with my way of thinking, but clearly enough people find the MC way of doing things to be better to them.

Different strokes for different folks, just realize there is more emphasis on style and less on overall function with the Xstar. Again, in an ideal world and if its my money, I go G23 all the way. But given my excellent experience with the local MC dealer, I might go the MC route just to continue being able to work with those guys for service. Sometimes when you are looking at two amazing boats, that is the difference maker...
The thing is.. it comes with 1400lbs of ballast, which isn't enough to make a good wake on that boat - you have to use plug/play, which eats whatever storage there is. THAT is the issue IMO. Now where do you put your vests, boards, bags, etc? Maybe wakeboarding isn't a sport for 'sports car' boats.. but SUVs.