Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-03-2013, 3:34 AM Reply   
Seems like they are putting forward a bid for it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/oly...pic-Games.html
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-03-2013, 6:08 AM Reply   
I wonder if points will be deducted for prespinning on kickers
Old     (JustinMD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-03-2013, 7:20 AM Reply   
dumb. needs a boat.
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-03-2013, 9:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_vilfo View Post
I wonder if points will be deducted for prespinning on kickers
Hahahaha
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-03-2013, 7:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMD View Post
dumb. needs a boat.
Cycling is dumb too. Needs motorcycles.

But in all seriousness, I don't think wakeboarding is the type of sport that the Olympics is looking for. I think we'd be better off in the X-games or the Dew Tour (sorry to open this can of worms again). I wish the promoters of our sport all the best in helping grow and progress it in a positive direction, wherever that may be.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-05-2013, 5:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminp View Post

But in all seriousness, I don't think wakeboarding is the type of sport that the Olympics is looking for. I think we'd be better off in the X-games or the Dew Tour (sorry to open this can of worms again). I wish the promoters of our sport all the best in helping grow and progress it in a positive direction, wherever that may be.
The Dew condensed down to 3 total events for this year. The Winter X games are the only legit "games" left, Pastrana sports ruined Summer X (although watching the Women's enduroX or whatever is hilarious). Take a look at snowboarding. They are already talking about the Olympics. So much so that X games is tying it into their marketing.... Olympics have become the tip of the peak for snowboarding, and snowboarding has revived the Olympics for reaching a larger and younger market. Cable is much more suitable and global that boat, so much that no US rider podiumed at the Red Bull wake open. There are a lot of things that need to be ironed out, and someone needs to take that charge.....
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       01-09-2013, 3:53 PM Reply   
Snowboarding is in the olympics for slopestyle and halfpipe for Sochi in 2014.
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       02-12-2013, 11:28 AM Reply   
Just saw the opening for all these sports is coming about because they're "cutting" wrestling from the Olympics. As great as it would be for the sport of wakeboarding, this is crazy. I don't care which pro rider you pick, they prolly don't even train/work as hard as most high school level wrestlers...

I've visited the OTC, Olympic Training Center, in colorado springs and it's not un-common for the wrestlers there to drink 2,000+ calorie as part of breakfast, lunch, and dinner and still lose weight... Who works that hard?

This is just a terrible decision for the Olympics getting away from their roots, to be popular or "streamline" events. just rediculous
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-12-2013, 12:02 PM Reply   
Cable as an Olympic event is just stupid (not saying there isn't any other stupid events). Olypmpic committee voted out wrestling out of the Olypmics. God I hope cable did not take its place.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-12-2013, 12:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillinoj View Post
Just saw the opening for all these sports is coming about because they're "cutting" wrestling from the Olympics. As great as it would be for the sport of wakeboarding, this is crazy. I don't care which pro rider you pick, they prolly don't even train/work as hard as most high school level wrestlers...

I've visited the OTC, Olympic Training Center, in colorado springs and it's not un-common for the wrestlers there to drink 2,000+ calorie as part of breakfast, lunch, and dinner and still lose weight... Who works that hard?

This is just a terrible decision for the Olympics getting away from their roots, to be popular or "streamline" events. just rediculous
I totally agree
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-12-2013, 12:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminp View Post
Cycling is not a "dumb" event. It demonstrates the power of the human body which is what the traditional events do. Cable and wakeboarding....pssssh whatever. Keep cable and wakeboarding in the X-Games catagory.
Old     (lfrider139)      Join Date: May 2007       02-12-2013, 12:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
Cycling is not a "dumb" event. It demonstrates the power of the human body which is what the traditional events do. Cable and wakeboarding....pssssh whatever. Keep cable and wakeboarding in the X-Games catagory.
I think he was being facetious.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-12-2013, 12:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfrider139 View Post
I think he was being facetious.
My apologies then
Old     (norwalkbeast)      Join Date: May 2011       02-12-2013, 1:08 PM Reply   
I think its crazy that they are taking out wrestling, it was one of the first sports ever in the Olympics. And yes wakeboarding does take quite a bit of athletic ability, but wrestling is by far way harder mentally and physically. Don't get me wrong I love wakeboarding, I am not trying to bash on it, but I wrestled when I was in high school and it is probably the most physically demanding things I've ever done! If anything, wakeboarding should go into the X-Games.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-12-2013, 3:51 PM Reply   
Lads, just want to clarify; they didn't take out wrestling to make room for another sport. Wakeboarding along with the other sports were short-listed a long while ago, at least 6 months, and the decision's being made in September. I think the guys pushing wakeboarding were as surprised as anyone that wrestling got taken out. From what I gather though, the IOC was looking for a sport to capture younger audiences which gives wakeboarding quite a good chance. If you look at the alternatives, I don't think there's much there that isn't captured by other sports in the olympics currently, at least for the roller sports, squash,and karate. Wushu and climbing would also be strong contenders, though

Also, for the guys saying wakeboarding isn't comparable to wrestling in terms of training and effort, no-one's arguing that it is. Wrestling is a much more demanding physical sport, but, don't compare training for wrestling to wakeboarding as a hobby. Look at the training that Harley, Rusty and Phil are putting in instead.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-12-2013, 4:34 PM Reply   
Seems kind of odd for wakeboarders to not want wakeboarding in the Olympics.
Old     (JustinMD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-12-2013, 7:28 PM Reply   
There is no 'wake' at a cable park...
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-12-2013, 7:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMD View Post
There is no 'wake' at a cable park...
unless you're at owc and that g23 wake keeps rolling thru...
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-12-2013, 7:59 PM Reply   
This is why they got rid of wrestling...

"The board voted after reviewing a report by the IOC program commission report that analyzed 39 criteria, including television ratings, ticket sales, anti-doping policy and global participation and popularity."

Is wakeboarding more popular than this?

Probably not now...but one day.
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-12-2013, 8:36 PM Reply   
Add my name to list of people who would like to see behind-the-boat wakeboarding back in the x-games but don't really care whether cableboarding is in the olympics or not.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-13-2013, 12:24 AM Reply   
^^ +1. I told before and say now - big boys do make new money. Wrestling was done
Old     (jtiblier123)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-13-2013, 3:46 AM Reply   
If wakeboarders are not even supporting the push for our sport to be in the Olympics, then who will?
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-13-2013, 4:55 AM Reply   
I was always under the impression that no sport aided by the use of a motor is allowed in the Olympics as per IOC guidelines.
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-13-2013, 6:23 AM Reply   
For everyone that is bashing wakeboarding trying to get in the Olympics, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE gladly decline your invite and send it to myself or any of the others that would love to have this opportunity to compete at the Olympics.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-13-2013, 11:42 AM Reply   
Taylor, that is the kind of attitude that will get you on Team USA. Thank you for your support.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-14-2013, 1:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtiblier123 View Post
If wakeboarders are not even supporting the push for our sport to be in the Olympics, then who will?
The main thought here is X games - therefore it is true
Old     (jtiblier123)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-14-2013, 3:56 AM Reply   
Then say x-games
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-14-2013, 10:53 AM Reply   
As lame as the olympics sounds if it brings money and popularity into the sport than wakeboarding needs it. It is a fragile weird industry that needs all the help it can get.