Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Caleb_Sankey)      Join Date: Dec 2017       12-11-2017, 2:35 PM Reply   
Can a wakeboard keep you from getting better?
I have the CTRL The Blueprint 142, which I've read is more of a beginner board.
I've been riding for the past two summers behind boat and can do wake to wake jumps, board grabs, etc. I recently started going to a cable park and it seems like people are able to pop onto
ramps, rails and even off the water easily. Just seems like their boards might be lighter or something.
Any ideas on this?
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       12-11-2017, 3:09 PM Reply   
While a wakeboard can in some instances make things harder, specially If a board is incorrectly sized it's more likely where you are in your progression of riding. We all learn at a different pace and cable and boat are two different specialties. Both rely on line tension but with boat you always have a ramp in the form of the wake and you load the line into it. With cable you also have to load the line to maximize your pop.

If you haven't invested in lessons I would recommend it. A good coach can go a long way to helping you improve.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-11-2017, 4:52 PM Reply   
Only if it is too small.

Or too loose.
Old     (Caleb_Sankey)      Join Date: Dec 2017       12-11-2017, 5:53 PM Reply   
Do you think the 2012 CTRL blueprint 142 cm is a good size for someone who is 5' 10", 165 lbs?
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-11-2017, 7:42 PM Reply   
Your board is fine. I know plenty of guys that used to rip that board (John Dreiling, Matty Hasler, Lior Sofer)

Just go to the cable more and your riding and timing and pop and whatever else will get better.

People are doing 720s on wakeskates these days, so it would be really hard for any modern board to hold you back much.

Lots of time and practice is what will help you improve. Get out there
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-12-2017, 10:31 AM Reply   
get your ollie solid bro
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-12-2017, 11:31 AM Reply   
I believe a board can change your style a bit. Hider progression....maybe....stop you from an ollie.....probably not.

Try pumping the board against the water before you ollie. It creates a little more snap.