Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (tonyg)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-12-2007, 8:17 AM Reply   
I've been reading and researching the last few weeks and have a few questions. I would like to find a boat this fall or early spring. Primarily for wakeboarding for me and my boys (17yrs and 20yrs) but enjoy chillaxin' on the lake with the entire family, pulling my daughter in a tube now and then and getting her started on a wakeboard.

Definitely want an inboard and would like to keep the cost around $20K or so. I want a decent wake and no one skis. I've been looking at late 90's up to 2000/2001 Nautiques, Malibu's and Prostars.
Topping my list right now is the ProStar 205. It seems I can get a good DD for around $20K but where as the 205V bumps up to about $30K. How is the wake on the DD with a moderate amount of ballast? I don't want to fill the floor with sacs if I have the family out but maybe it'd be ok if it's just me and the boys. Will I kick myself for not ponying up for the V-Drive??

Also, I'm noticing that as you get in the $25K-30K range you can find the newer Moomba LSV's out there. A 2003-2005 Mobius LSV as compared to a '98-'00 MC or CC or BU. Thoughts?

Are there other options I should consider?

Thanks

Tony
Old     (burke)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-12-2007, 8:28 AM Reply   
Tony,
My first (and current) boat is a '97 direct drive. I picked it mostly for cost reasons as I couldn't see spending 30K at the time to jump up to a V.

The boat is great, and still is, but I'm now wishing I had a V. I've progressed to a point where I want a much bigger wake, and it's hard to accomplish without filling the entire boat with sac's.

That can be an issue too. It seems many of the older 90's boats have max hull weights around 1500 lbs. So by the time you get 1200 lbs of ballast, you don't have much room for people and gear.

I've also started to wish I didn't have the large engine cover in the middle of everything. Make the interior seem much smaller. And a large sun deck on the back of the boat would be really nice.

In my opinion, a 90's direct drive is a great way to get into to scene. With a little weight, they can throw good wakes (not as big as a V in general). And most of these boats have stabilized in terms of value depreciation. So when you're ready to upgrade after a few years, you won't loose much money in the investment.
Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-12-2007, 8:41 AM Reply   
If you are patient, you can find a decent 205V (around 98-2000) or a 95-98 Nautique SuperSport with a tower for right around 20-21k. Just have to be willing to wait and watch every day, have cash or financing ready, and be willing to drive long distance to pick up. Wait for the v-drive; otherwise I would guess you will be trading up for one within a couple of years. Cheaper to just do it the first time (coming from a guy on his third boat now).
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-12-2007, 8:48 AM Reply   
I bought a 2000 Moomba Mobius V LOADED last year for $24,000...I got a pretty good deal on it.

I have been MORE than pleased with the performance of the boat. It throws a great wake for boarding and surfing. It runs like a champ and hasn't let me down yet, knock on wood :-)

If I were in your shoes, personally I would spend a little bit more and get the V-drive for what you want to do. It will give you more room and seating for the family and the sacs will be in the compartments. It will throw a better wake than a D-drive and V-drives also have better resale.
Old     (drive139)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-12-2007, 8:52 AM Reply   
Tony, I currently sell boats in Knoxville,Tn and we have a 99' Supra Launch with 306 hours, skylon extended pole, board racks, heater, CD player, rear ballast tank, and boat cover. The boat is in really shape for a 9 year old boat. We are asking $19,250. This boat used to be considered the godfather of wakeboarding boats back in its day. Feel free to give us a call here at the shop 865-777-3011 or go online to knoxvillewatersports.com and check out the boat there.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-12-2007, 8:58 AM Reply   
20k for a nine year old inboard with a pole...
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-12-2007, 9:25 AM Reply   
Tony, check your mail...
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-12-2007, 9:29 AM Reply   
Tony,
The 205DD is a great wake hull(same as current x1, old x2, and old xstar) with a sac in the rear locker, and a sac in the front locker, the wake is decent. If you add some weight to each side of the engine and some more upfront, it gets world class. The only downfall is the lack of space. I would wait until winter and start looking. I bet you can find a good Vdrive in your price range.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-12-2007, 9:44 AM Reply   
Some nice 98-01 Sunsetter VLX's out there for in the very low 20's. Might need to add tower, ballast, pp, but a great start.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       09-12-2007, 10:19 AM Reply   
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=1780821&cat=147&lpid=5
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=1754612&cat=147&lpid=18

Just a few that I came across today on our local adds.
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-12-2007, 10:31 AM Reply   
Here's one just a little south of you:

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=1353905
Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-12-2007, 11:15 AM Reply   
That Nautique SS is exactly what I would be looking for. It looks very clean, and will throw a wake as good as any 75k new boat. I saw a few of them go last winter for 21-22k. I think those boats are basically almost done depreciating, especially as fast as new boat prices are increasing. You will not lose money on one of those.
Old     (tonyg)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-12-2007, 11:43 AM Reply   
Thanks to everyone for all the responses. What a great forum this is!

I think reading the responses has confirmed that I should go with the V-drive and that if patient I can probably find one close to my price range. I also like the seating arrangement of the V-drives better.

Dan/Sam,
I had seen that boat and actually exchanged a few emails with the guy. It seems like a clean boat and is probably 4 or 5 hours from me. I'd probably only have to add perfect pass and I'd be set. Not as familiar with the wake behind these though. I ride with a friend some behind a wakesetter v-drive and the wake is really nice. I read a lot of posts that the Nautique SS wake is very abrupt and lippy and not as friendly to a beginner/intermediate. I know a lot of it is probably personal preference but what I'm reading and hearing from people had kind of pushed me towards the 205 ... even though I'd rather have the Ford engine and we have an awesome CC dealer in the area.
Thoughts on the wake behind the SuperSport?
I do like the idea of a boat that is pretty much done depreciating though.
Also the hours on that boat are really low ... 10 year old boat with 253hrs. Do you have to worry about different things in that case like gaskets, seals, cables, etc drying up, leaking or cracking?
Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-13-2007, 12:10 PM Reply   
I would go ride behind it and see how you like the wake. I wouldn't be scared of it if I were you. If you find that it is too much, just don't fill up the ballast as much. I don't think you will mind, though. I have never seen a wake that was too big...

If you find that you are having a hard time clearing the wake and landing on the transition (which is a hard landing behind most any wake), just shorten the rope and practice your form. You will be clearing that wake in no time and you will love it. You have very little to lose (just a day's worth of time and some gas $$$) by going down and riding behind it. My last boat was a 1991 Malibu Sunsetter that I bought in 2004 with 400 hours; I ended up replacing the impeller and impeller housing after one season for routine preventive maintenance, but otherwise had no problems with it. Inspect the engine/hoses/cables closely, but if it has been well-cared for, I would have no reservations. It would probably be worth hauling to a dealer for inspection, to include engine compression testing just to be safe.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-13-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
got a 95 SS with 380 hrs a new engine (50 hrs), tower, ballast, stereo and boat lift and I'm in like 23K.... its a great boat and wake
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-13-2007, 8:55 PM Reply   
Tony,
I am Selling a 2000 Super Air Nautique. My nautique 210 has all factory options except for the hot water shower.
It has:
Perfect pass wakeboard pro
factory 500lb ballast system
1250 lbs additional ballast in photos
dual axle ramline trailer with brakes and spare tire
Mooring Cover
Bimini top
pro boss gt 40 310 horsepower motor by pcm
ski tow pylon which has been removed in pitures but will be reinstalled
flight control tower with racks for 8 boards
4 alpine 6x9 tower speakers
4 6.5inch kicker interior speakers(new)
10" subwoofer and Kicker Amp
bow filler cushion
teak platform
Here are the pictures you wanted. There are no notable marks on the exterior of the boat and interior is in great shape as well.

Go to link to see pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/dave.gast/00SuperAirNautique
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-13-2007, 9:04 PM Reply   
Tony,
Also all BS aside ask your budies how their boats have held up as far as Vinyl and other unscheduled trips to the repair shop. I have friends with the 205V and it is a good boat but they have replaced most of the interior at least once,rear sundeck 3 times, and had transmission trouble out of it. I would encourage you to ride and drive as many options as you can. I am extremely glad i spent the extra money on the nautique versus the MC or malibu because my nautique has been great to me. Interior and exterior have held up great and the only thing to be replaced mechanically was a starter. I am only selling my 210 because I needed more space and went with an 07 nautique 236. Good Luck with your search.
Dave Gast