Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old     (nautigirls)      Join Date: Dec 2000       07-05-2005, 7:28 PM Reply   
Anyone here about the accident at Shasta? Any details on what happened? Heard one boater is missing and a wakerboard boat hit a patio boat.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-05-2005, 8:26 PM Reply   
where did you hear this any link to a story at all?
~Tyler~
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-05-2005, 8:28 PM Reply   
really.....I was just there. I recall seeing a chopper fly overhead, but it didn't look like a coast gaurd.
Old     (nautigirls)      Join Date: Dec 2000       07-05-2005, 8:29 PM Reply   
http://www1.redding.com/redd/nw_local/article/0,2232,REDD_17533_3904153,00.html
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-06-2005, 6:17 AM Reply   
for those of you who don't want to register to read the article like I didn't want to:

PRINT THIS STORY | E-MAIL THIS STORY

Man still missing after lake collision
Another drowns over holiday weekend

By Constance Dillon, Record Searchlight
July 5, 2005

The Fourth of July came to a close in the north state with one man drowned, another missing on Lake Shasta and a teen seriously hurt by a boat propeller.

A 16-year-old boy from Willits was seriously injured Sunday morning when hit by the propeller of a patio boat while swimming in Lake Shasta on the Sacramento River arm near Double Barrel Gulch, said deputy Tom O'Connor of the Shasta County Sheriff's Boating Safety Unit.

The teen was swimming between pontoons about noon when the boat started up.

After feeling the impact, the occupants of the boat stopped the engine and rescued him from the water, O'Connor said.

The victim, whose name has not been released, was flown to Mercy Medical Center in Redding where he was treated for deep cuts to his left upper arm and torso, O'Connor said.

The search continues today for a 45-year-old male driver of a patio boat missing since Sunday evening following a major collision between the patio boat and a ski boat on Lake Shasta. Boating Safety Unit deputies will return to the crash site near the Jones Valley Marina with divers and underwater camera equipment.

There were six people on the patio boat and two on the ski boat. No one besides the missing driver was seriously injured, said Sgt. Mark Lillibridge of the Shasta County Sheriff's Boating Safety Unit.

The body of a 19-year old McCloud resident was found in about 10 feet of water near the shoreline at Star City Camp on the McCloud Reservoir about 7:40 a.m. Monday.

The drowning appears to be accidental, and the man's identity is being held pending identification of family members, Lillibridge said.

Smoke was visible from Oasis road as firefighters from the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection were called to a vegetation fire that burned a swatch of land between Interstate 5 and the Bridge Bay off-ramp Monday afternoon.

The fire, which began about 2:50 p.m., spread quickly through the pines with flames leaping up tree trunks and crowning in the treetops. Firefighters were able to contain the blaze shortly after 4 p.m.

Reporter Constance Dillon can be reached at 225-8372 or at cdillon@redding.com.

Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       07-06-2005, 7:43 AM Reply   
There was a lake death or two here locally (Dallas) as well this past weekend.

This is why you will NOT find me on the lake after 10am during Memorial, 4th of July, or Labor day weekends.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-06-2005, 8:54 AM Reply   
Jason ~ thanks I didn't want to register, but I did want to read the article.
Old     (cubanismo)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-06-2005, 9:34 AM Reply   
Amen to that rammer.
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-06-2005, 3:47 PM Reply   
I can tell you what is worse- children drowning in swimming pools. On July 3rd two infants drowned in the Phoenix area in swimming pools. A week doesn't go by that there isn't one- all summer long and many others the rest of the year. Nothing is more tragic than losing an innocent child. People just don't seem to get it- fence their pools and be vigilent in regards to their children's safety. Sorry if this difted off topic.