Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       03-31-2014, 12:27 PM Reply   
Okay so the family started off with a 97' centurion direct drive, added a tower and all that. A few years ago we sold it. In the mean time, my uncle has a 2001 tige 2100v that we have been using since. He is very wealthy, does't use the boat, and registered it under my name. Basically it's my boat according to DMV. Now heres the thing, he wants to sell it.

We have been looking for a newer boat recently. We have $12k from the old centurion for a down payment. The tige is worth around $20k in pristine condition, however it is far from it. We used the tige in salt water the past 200 hours, the trailer is starting to rust pretty good, the engine needs to be gone through, and needs some seat bases re-done. Basically, the boat has seen better days. I would flush it out every use etc. The boat probably could use $8-$10k worth of work including a galvanized trailer.

Heres the kicker, he was offered $12k as a trade in for a new duffy boat. He wants 18-20k for it, but in the condition it's in, thats not going to happen. Now if I could get it for $12k and put another $8k in to fix it up, would that be a good investment. My family isn't made of money, and a $50k boat is out of the question since we use it in salt. The re-sale value would be nothing.

Here is a list I quickly came up with for the tige:
1. interior: seat bases and some other pieces. The whole interior could be replaced though. new carpet
2. engine: rebuilt; the tranny, engine block, v-drive need some cosmetic attention. new water pump, water dist. manifold, closed cooling!!!!
3. trailer: galvanized, maybe sell or trade in the old one.
4. add ballast or perfect pass
5. Small items: steering cable, throttle assy, fix TAPS, etc.

Basically, If I could buy the boat for $12k or less: keeping it in the family, then pay to re-furbish it, would it be a good choice? OR just find a newer boat for around $30k?
The plan would be to do the work myself, minus the engine rebuild and interior. I have the money to buy the boat for $12k and would need a small loan for the new stuff. The loan does't bother me since I need to build my credit.

For technical questions.
How hard it it to pull the engine and v-drive? I don't want to pay labor that kind of work HAHA. I would send it out to be rebuilt though.
Is there any way to install a top mount Alternator, starter?

The major problem I have with this tige and salt water, is the space between the engine hatch and the rear of the transom. Anytime someone stands on the sun pad wet, the water drips down right on the the engine belt, pulleys, and ALT.

What are your guys opinions? Im open to any criticism also. I want to hear the good, bad, ugly HAHA.