Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nautigirls)      Join Date: Dec 2000       02-22-2013, 5:11 PM Reply   
Just wanted opinions on these boats. Going to demo both this weekend but my husband wanted some opinions. Not to start a brand war. In terms of wakeboarding wake which do you think is better. Surf wake? As I said looking at both this weekend but what things should we look for? Thank you!
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-22-2013, 5:24 PM Reply   
Not really an apples to apples comparison. I'd check out the SAN 230. KCCO
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-22-2013, 5:27 PM Reply   
Which MXZ? The Malibu with surfgate will probably be better surf wise, unless its the 20 then not sure.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-22-2013, 5:40 PM Reply   
If everyone surfs on the same side of the boat surfgate is moot, if not, then it makes the Malibu the de facto choice. 230 will dominate both in surf and wakeboard performance, plus is generally a better boat. If you don't care about having a lower-end boat, MB will wax both.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-22-2013, 5:49 PM Reply   
She didn't ask about a 230 or an MB. Maybe thats not an option to them for one reason or another.

I'm not a Malibu owner but surf gate does more than just aid switching side to side. Just like the New CC system does. Delays the converge of the sides and helps make the surfable wave longer.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-22-2013, 6:10 PM Reply   
Jesus Christ. Love child of troyd and mhunter...
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-22-2013, 6:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardman74 View Post
She didn't ask about a 230 or an MB. Maybe thats not an option to them for one reason or another.

I'm not a Malibu owner but surf gate does more than just aid switching side to side. Just like the New CC system does. Delays the converge of the sides and helps make the surfable wave longer.
Between the two boats the X25. My opinion only but wakeboard wake is better and has a better surf wake when adequately weighed. I've always felt Malibu's interiors felt cheap compared to MC or SAN.

I'm sure when comparing the two the OP will be able to verify this.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-22-2013, 7:11 PM Reply   
I've rode the x-25 and I feel it is a very attractive and roomy boat. We didn't surf so can't help you there. But what I can say is the wake seemed a touch speed sensitive meaning we couldn't keep it clean under about 20 with full factory and 6 people. It also didn't seem like a overly friendly wake. No decent ramp and kinda abrupt. I've heard that they don't get better with more weight either. I like the interior better and the walk through better than the BU. I also prefer the MC tower as I think the BU towers are to forward swooping. I think storage and people room the MC is also gonna win because the BU has a larger bow. But funny thing with the BU is if you get the bow tank you lose all bow storage.

Now I've heard the BU wake is really nice and has a great wake which only gets nicer the more weight you add. Also BU wake is nice and clean at lower speeds if that's important to you.

If I were you I'd skip the 25 and look at the x-30. I think MC does build a nicer more respected boat than does BU.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-22-2013, 7:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
Jesus Christ. Love child of troyd and mhunter...
for the win.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-22-2013, 8:29 PM Reply   
Tige RZ2 is better in every way.

okay, everybody done now?

Back to the OP's questions. You are demoing so that will probably decide it for you. Both stock wakes are supposed to be really really good, but they will be noticeably different if you ride them, it will be your preference. MXZ with surf gate wins the surf wave category, it is a great option to have.

tips: if you have kids, bring them out with you. If you ride with a lot of ballast (over-stock) then bring sacks and pumps for your demo. Use both of them on the demo the way you will use them once they are yours and at home.

demo's are fun, take pics and let us know how it goes.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-22-2013, 8:56 PM Reply   
If you like carpet stapled to all your exposed surfaces like a 1970's whore house, buy the Malibu. If you want a boat that is essentially elemental aluminum buy the Mastercraft.
Old     (Sethjoe)      Join Date: Apr 2011       02-22-2013, 9:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetRanger View Post
If you like carpet stapled to all your exposed surfaces like a 1970's whore house, buy the Malibu. If you want a boat that is essentially elemental aluminum buy the Mastercraft.
Lol wut?
Old     (nautigirls)      Join Date: Dec 2000       02-22-2013, 9:19 PM Reply   
It's a 22 MXZ and in our experience the malibu and master craft feel plusher than a nautique. We've had an MB jet ranger and it sure didn't wax either boat. We are as matter of fact looking at nautique 230 as well but the interior doesn't feel quite as nice as malibu or mastercraft. I believe Malibu makes as good of a boat as MC or Nautique. Hate people who bash.
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-22-2013, 9:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Buttranger
Old     (nautigirls)      Join Date: Dec 2000       02-23-2013, 12:11 AM Reply   
OBTW JetRanger, the MXZ has snap in carpet. No staples.
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-23-2013, 12:29 AM Reply   
Hey JetRanger I own an MB and it is a nice boat for the price. There are just a handful of little things that aren't right. Getting rid of it for MXZ. 22 and believe the quality and craftsmanship of Malibu is awesome. And the carpet is also snap in not stapled. It was down to a Nautique or them BU and it was a toss up. All boats are built well just think BU, Nautique and MC a little better. To each his own opinion. To OP both are great boats. You are the one paying.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-23-2013, 4:50 AM Reply   
But but but the LONranger says bu's suck and are built out of carpet, toilet paper and staples, and produce a surf wave and wakeboard wake equal to that of a disabled carnival cruise ship! It must be true, because he knows cpr and his best friend is an engineer.

The LONranger needs to hop in his chrome h2, yell "HI-O-SILVER, away!", and fist pump it all the way to his local bu dealer and educate himself so that his brand bashing can be at lease somewhat state of the art.

Last edited by chattwake; 02-23-2013 at 4:53 AM.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-23-2013, 5:17 AM Reply   
To the op, both are very nice boats. To me it would come down to interior preference, price, which dealer will take care of you better, and preferences for wake and wave. One of my good friends, Adam McCall, had a 22 mxz for a season and a half. I thought the wake was very very nice. They used his boat to pull the wake portion of the redbull wake open. When I talked to Randal Harris, Deano and a bunch of othe pros on Friday in Tampa when practice sessions were going on for cable, they were all very happy with how Adams boat was weighed and the resulting wake.

We took out a bunch of guys on Sunday to show off surfgate (Dave was there), and i think everyone was pretty impressed with the wave from a looks perspective. I've ridden the mxz wave, and think it surfs pretty great. I have not ridden an x25, but my friends who sell them and/or own them seem to love them, and they are good riders. Ultimately, you need to demo both boats. Because I don't have personal experience with the x25 wake/wave, I won't even attempt a comparison in that regard.

The bow will have more room with the mxz, but you will sacrifice some area in the main seating area. If price is the same, it would definitely be a hard choice. One other thing to consider would be browsing www.tmcowners.com and www.themalibucrew.com to see what actual owners of both boats have to say. I do know that a few of the mc guys on tmc switched out their x25s for other models this year.

If you're ordering a boat, you should also ask about built time, as a bunch of boatshows have already taken place, and you may get one boat quicker than the other. And as for nautique having the best interior and the 230 out performing every boat on the planet, I owned three 230s, and I have friends who sell them. I do not think they are nicer on the inside than either the x25 or the mxz, nor do I feel that they are overall better built boats. All boats have issues. With my 230s, I had a tower crack, a throttle positioning sensor to out, I had constant problems with my zero off system, I had seats pull at piping in every 230, and I had spider web cracks form in the gel on the exhaust vents. The 230 wave is one of the best I have ridden, and the stock wake is very fun. However, the wakeboard wake, in my 3 years of experience, was inconsistent when you added 1500lbs or more over stock unless you sped way up. I don't like riding at 27mph, so that was no bueno for me.

Last edited by chattwake; 02-23-2013 at 5:20 AM.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       02-23-2013, 5:25 AM Reply   
Some people just like to stir sh#t up.BABBLERanger
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-23-2013, 5:26 AM Reply   
"If you like carpet stapled to all your exposed surfaces like a 1970's whore house, buy the Malibu. If you want a boat that is essentially elemental aluminum buy the Mastercraft."

That's actually kinda funny! Not agreeing, but COME ON people, this is fun!

Nautigirls, you have ALL of the brand loyalists on this post, so wade through and have fun. Can't comment because I've never ridden in either one.
Old     (willyt)      Join Date: May 2010       02-23-2013, 5:39 AM Reply   
This is retarded, a gekko is absolutely better in every category.

Had a chance to ride a slammed MXZ on our lake trip in the fall, and ridden a couple X25's. as the disclaimer...

IN MY EXPERIENCE:
the bu will take more weight to get a great wakeboard wake, the stock wake on a X25 is pretty amazing (this coming from someone who puts 3k in their star). As for shape - they're totally different. The MXZ felt alot like my 07 xstar, really long ramp with a good amount of kick (we put 4k in it). The x25 feels very nautiqueish with the wake primarily being vertical. Chat, your the first person to tell me that the MXZ surfs well - surfgate must have helped. The X25 is, from what I understand regarded as a great surf machine. PM thewoons on teamtalk - they've got a dialed x25 surf wake.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-23-2013, 6:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
I've rode the x-25 and I feel it is a very attractive and roomy boat. We didn't surf so can't help you there. But what I can say is the wake seemed a touch speed sensitive meaning we couldn't keep it clean under about 20 with full factory and 6 people. It also didn't seem like a overly friendly wake. No decent ramp and kinda abrupt. I've heard that they don't get better with more weight either. .
Why would you even attempt this? My old LSV ran at 23 with nothing but stock ballast/wedge, friends 230 was the same.. when I demo'ed an X25.. same. I can't imagine any current wakeboat running under about 22 with factory ballast - even faster with 6 people in the boat. Under 20? Not surprised you couldn't clean it up - more weight = more speed.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-23-2013, 6:53 AM Reply   
Ok so here's the no-BS scoop for the op who will see all these things and verify them on demo day.

The X25 is much bigger in inside. The bu will have a slightly bigger bow but behind the windshield the X25 is much much larger. The X25 will also have much more storage, and the interior in my opinion is a little nicer (aluminum vs. plastic). Their vinyl is also superior. I like the step on the transom of the X25 and I believe the Ilmor engine is a better engine. I'm assuming the X25 is also more money, though will hold its value better. The X25 will have a better rough water ride.

The bu has a way nicer looking windshield, and has a great looking dash. I like the Wakesetter graphics better than MC's too. The bu will have the edge on handling and will have a much better ski wake if you ever get a skier behind your boat.

Wake wise they are both gonna throw decent wakes, more than enough for 99% of the boarders/surfers out there.

Weigh the benefits of a good dealer into the equation as well. What about warranty? If you care about exclusivity Malibu sells more boats than MC so there will be fewer MC's out there.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-23-2013, 7:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator View Post
Why would you even attempt this? My old LSV ran at 23 with nothing but stock ballast/wedge, friends 230 was the same.. when I demo'ed an X25.. same. I can't imagine any current wakeboat running under about 22 with factory ballast - even faster with 6 people in the boat. Under 20? Not surprised you couldn't clean it up - more weight = more speed.
Because the chick riding behind it didn't want to go any faster that's why.

People need to know about boats that can't take extra weight without going slalom speeds to clean up! Like the 230 an the x25! I'm tired of all those people with owner goggles on trying to hide their boats defects. all you MC keep talking its an awesome stock wake blah blah blah but add anything to it an it rolls over and is very unpleasant. That's the design if this v-hull and all the other v-hull style wake boats! Take your pick, all MG, some tiges , x-25 and 230 have one thing in common and that is a V-hull which means touchy wakes when weighted.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-23-2013, 7:51 AM Reply   
Quote:

People need to know about boats that can't take extra weight without going slalom speeds to clean up! Like the 230 an the x25! I'm tired of all those people with owner goggles on trying to hide their boats defects. all you MC keep talking its an awesome stock wake blah blah blah but add anything to it an it rolls over and is very unpleasant. That's the design if this v-hull and all the other v-hull style wake boats! Take your pick, all MG, some tiges , x-25 and 230 have one thing in common and that is a V-hull which means touchy wakes when weighted.

I do agree that, in the X25, it is hard to keep the wake clean, on both sides, under 20mph. (with added ballast) LOL at the slalom speed comment. 21-23mph is slalom speed now??

I think the question is this- If someone is not skilled at wakeboarding, why the heck are the ballast tanks full?? Who wakeboards under 20 MPH, and still wants a huge wake? The first thing that anyone should learn, is proper board control at proper wakeboard speeds.....Not how to jump a massive wake at low speed.

Last edited by Fixable; 02-23-2013 at 7:54 AM.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-23-2013, 7:59 AM Reply   
Quote:

I think the truth here is getting way distorted. I had an extra 1500 in my 230 for about a total of 2300 lbs and we rode at 23 and 70 or 75 feet and it was perfectly clean. Ask big gator. This is hardly slalom speeds. With factory we could do 21.5. This is not owner goggles. Big gators Malibu could do a slower speed but it was also a smaller and less peaky wake.

Most people board in the 22 to 25 range these days.

I understand where you are coming from but if you are wanting a clean wake below 20 most boats aren't going to allow for full ballast unless it is a small amount.

One reason I upgraded to a g23 was its ability to clean up at slower speeds. It can do 18 with no ballast and be clean. Granted, that is no ballast but it still pushes a lot of water. I have kids that will be learning so that is important. Yet I can fill stock ballast at 22 to 23 and have a world class wake. With that said, I have no illusion that I will be able to go under 20 with 2800 of factory ballast.
Old     (willyt)      Join Date: May 2010       02-23-2013, 8:01 AM Reply   
^ that. if +20 mph is slalom speed than i must be a pretty good skier. yeah, if the chick isnt comfortable riding 20+ mph than DRAIN THE FREAKING BALLAST.
for people who actually use ballast, 21-24 mph is a pretty normal riding speed.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-23-2013, 8:08 AM Reply   
^ Exactly. And with no ballast, an X25 has a clean wake at 18mph.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-23-2013, 8:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixable View Post
^ Exactly. And with no ballast, an X25 has a clean wake at 18mph.
Yeah and at 18 with no ballast it doesn't have wake either.

I've heard speeds in excess of 25 are needed to clean up a 230 when loaded up. And nobody talks about what speed you need to ride at when you add 2k to a x-25.

Again you guys go ahead and justify anyway you want. Fact is we all like big fat wakes that launch us to the moon. I for one want as big a wake as possible but I absolutely do not want to ride faster than 23. Even my 15yr old daughter likes ballast in the boat to play around on and I do not want to pull her faster than 18-19. Edge catches hurt like hell and concussions aren't pleasant.

I love love love the layout of the 230, better than any other boat out there in my opinion but can't get over its need for speed.

Back to the OP I'd look at a x-30. It's got great seating(reversible) much more tolerable wake, great vinyl, great tower, from what everyone says awesome surf wake and is a Master Craft.

Now the MXZ best thing it's got going is a very tolerable wake that can be really fine tuned with the wedge. Also of surfing is your thing the surf gate is a awesome feature! The whole having to lean your boat way over to the side to surf is a thing of the past and tige, centurion and the rest better catch up or be left behind.
Again things I don't like about BU are their towers, if you put tower speakers on that BU and want your rider to hear the music everyone in that boat is gonna go deaf because those speakers are so far forward! And all you BU owners say what you want but BU isn't built and never has been built as solidly as MC. Over all MC has the best reputation as the most solidly built boat in the industry and that's for a reason.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-23-2013, 9:24 AM Reply   
^^^+1

I was trying to avoid controversy but MC is a better built boat. Then again, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the MC's are more $$$, so you get what you pay for. My two Stars were rock solid, in fact we put 300 hours one summer on my 2008 without doing a service (oops), no issues.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-23-2013, 9:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Yeah and at 18 with no ballast it doesn't have wake either.
This statement suggests that you know nothing about the X25. Sorry....

No ballast. Pulling a girl that only wants to ever go 17-18 mph (like most). I think there was 6 of us onboard.

Last edited by Fixable; 02-23-2013 at 9:39 AM.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-23-2013, 9:39 AM Reply   
Someone made a good point. Go to Mastercraft team talk and the malibucrew forums. There is much more info there.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-23-2013, 9:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
This statement suggests that you know nothing about the X25. Sorry....

No ballast. Pulling a girl that only wants to ever go 17-18 mph (like most). I think there was 6 of us onboard.

Let me take a wild guess here, you own a x-25. Chat never said anything bad about the 230 until after he sold them either...just saying. Sorry I put far more stock in what non owners or past owners say than current ones.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-23-2013, 9:53 AM Reply   
I have no need to justify anything to anyone. I am telling my experience with a 2009 230 that we rode for 4 seasons with extra ballast. The weight and speeds I posted are accurate and big gator (previously a Malibu guy) can back me up since we basically alternate rides on our boats. Now that we both have G23s, no more adjusting to the different wakes. .

The 230 is sensitive to side to side weight but having two 50lb lead bricks with handles allowed us to tweak it with ease.

Anyway, I provided data based on my ownership and don't own the boat anymore. Believe it or not, your choice.

Btw, my 230 is sold. Still little bad to say with the weight config above. More than that and you probably do have to speed up. No different than an xstar.

Ok, really, I am done.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-23-2013, 9:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Let me take a wild guess here, you own a x-25. Chat never said anything bad about the 230 until after he sold them either...just saying. Sorry I put far more stock in what non owners or past owners say than current ones.
I am a past owner.

Its also funny that you can't believe a photograph that clearly shows a drastically wide wake because the boat is going so slow. Yet it shows a clean wake on both sides.

People should definitely believe a nautique fan boy that obviously has zero experience with the boat he is bashing??
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-23-2013, 10:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
^^^+1

I was trying to avoid controversy but MC is a better built boat. Then again, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the MC's are more $$$, so you get what you pay for. My two Stars were rock solid, in fact we put 300 hours one summer on my 2008 without doing a service (oops), no issues.
Uh, so you are saying that mastercraft's version of an indmar drivetrain is so much better than malibu's version of an indmar drivetrain that you don't have to service it?
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-23-2013, 10:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
I am a past owner.

Its also funny that you can't believe a photograph that clearly shows a drastically wide wake because the boat is going so slow. Yet it shows a clean wake on both sides.

People should definitely believe a nautique fan boy that obviously has zero experience with the boat he is bashing??
Dude I can post up and call a pick anything I want also. In fact I call BS that is atleast a 21mph pic with ballast prob not even a x-25! Kidding because I know because I have rode the x-25 with ballast at 20mph and it was nasty looking! And I'd this is important to the OP they will see the same. Also if they do demo they better bring same weight with so they can see what happens when you add 2k to it.

And you should talk about being a fan boy! I have stated MC is a fantastic boat builder and I'd be proud to own one just not a x-25! In fact if you read my post I didn't suggest a Nautique, what did I suggest? Oh yeah a MC!
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-23-2013, 10:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
Uh, so you are saying that mastercraft's version of an indmar drivetrain is so much better than malibu's version of an indmar drivetrain that you don't have to service it?
That is a very good point. From the standpoint of the overkill stringer system, one piece deck, tinned wiring, and some of the billet components, an argument could probably be made compared to some other boats. The drivelines, however, are all pretty much identical.

Even if the argument was made, all of the other boats hold up just fine in those regards. I like my MCs, but overbuilding something doesn't really make it better. I think most other inboard manufacturers have proven that their hulls, stringers, decks, etc.. can stand the test of time.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-23-2013, 10:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Dude I can post up and call a pick anything I want also. In fact I call BS that is atleast a 21mph pic with ballast prob not even a x-25! Kidding because I know because I have rode the x-25 with ballast at 20mph and it was nasty looking! And I'd this is important to the OP they will see the same. Also if they do demo they better bring same weight with so they can see what happens when you add 2k to it.

And you should talk about being a fan boy! I have stated MC is a fantastic boat builder and I'd be proud to own one just not a x-25! In fact if you read my post I didn't suggest a Nautique, what did I suggest? Oh yeah a MC!
I began with having 1 point, and one point only. You said an X25 wouldn't clean up under 20, and I said you were wrong. You might not be able to see that this photo was taken from an X25, but you can clearly see that it is at a low speed. Being as you have supposedly ridden behind one, you should know that at 20-23 MPH, the wake is cleaner further back, and doesn't get so wide as quickly. You would also know that it is bigger with ballast.

The wake might not be as big, as it is with ballast. However, it is pretty dang big for 17-18mph and no ballast.

I am aware that you like the X30, which is off topic for this thread. You bash every other MC. Also the fact that you think the wakeboard wake on an X30 is better than an X25 leaves a lot to be questioned with your opinion. If we were talking surf wakes, then I might agree with you. There is nothing wrong with the X30 wakeboard wake. It is great. It is not an X25 wake though. Why do you think so many people wanted to see a longer X25 hull for the new Xstar?
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-23-2013, 10:46 AM Reply   
Oh, spring and summer.... Where art thou?
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-23-2013, 10:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmo View Post
Oh, spring and summer.... Where art thou?
I hear you man! Freaking highs only in the 30's here the next 15 days!!!

And to my buddy: how come so many people are ditching their 25s for 30s? Could it be same reason the 230 owners are running for the g23?
Your an exception stepping up to a new star! Congrats, sorry i missed the demo day here for it, heard it threw a huge wake.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-23-2013, 11:15 AM Reply   
Well, because everyone knows mc is a superior boat and better built than cc or bu, mc fortunately never had to resort to some gimmick to try to sell boats. Oh wait...... Anyone still waiting on their cash rewards check?
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-23-2013, 11:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
Well, because everyone knows mc is a superior boat and better built than cc or bu, mc fortunately never had to resort to some gimmick to try to sell boats. Oh wait...... Anyone still waiting on their cash rewards check?
Would this be along the same lines as having to buy your boat insurance through a certain company to get a decent warranty?
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-23-2013, 11:27 AM Reply   
Cue Byerly video clinic behind the outboard barefoot boat
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-23-2013, 12:14 PM Reply   
You get the normal factory warranty no matter who you go with. It's only if you want an extra two years FROM INDMAR that you have to use boaters insurance. Get ya facts straight.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-23-2013, 1:08 PM Reply   
Mastercraft has not used Indmar engines since 2010.....
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       02-23-2013, 1:12 PM Reply   
Very entertaining guys. I happen to have a 18 mph pic of an x25 wake with no ballast.

To the op: I think the styling is so much different between the two you will clearly like one over the other. Either way there's no wrong choice.

People buying 30's over 25's: they surf too much

Lon jr: you sure you didn't mean ornamental aluminum?

If you go MC don't get the 5.7. The engineering behind the ilmor marine treatment is slick. It has been a breeze to service.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-23-2013, 1:15 PM Reply   
That wake is crumbling from the roster to back past the rider? Are your eyes faulty?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-23-2013, 1:25 PM Reply   
Well this thread went the way we all knew it would.

To the OP, both boats are going to be very good at providing loads of fun. At that level you are making a choice between two of the best out there. It sounds like you have the right idea when it comes to testing them out and knowing what you are looking for. I've not ridden the X25, but have had the pleasure to ride a couple MXZs. From a wakeboard wake standpoint I can't imagine a better wake and the boat IMO just looks great on the water. Best of luck with a great choice to be making.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-23-2013, 1:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmo View Post
I have no need to justify anything to anyone. I am telling my experience with a 2009 230 that we rode for 4 seasons with extra ballast. The weight and speeds I posted are accurate and big gator (previously a Malibu guy) can back me up since we basically alternate rides on our boats. Now that we both have G23s, no more adjusting to the different wakes. .

The 230 is sensitive to side to side weight but having two 50lb lead bricks with handles allowed us to tweak it with ease.

Anyway, I provided data based on my ownership and don't own the boat anymore. Believe it or not, your choice.

Btw, my 230 is sold. Still little bad to say with the weight config above. More than that and you probably do have to speed up. No different than an xstar.

Ok, really, I am done.
I'm here to back up this comment 100%.. I keep hearing (from people who must not ride behind them much) how 'hard' it is to clean up a 230 wake with ballast... well, apparently schmo is a ballast wizard, because his was never an issue - whether we were riding with just a driver/rider - or two families worth of people in the boat.

But back to the original point.. looking for full ballast and under 20mph speeds and you're getting into 'bad at physics' territory.

Actually - the point was MXZ vs X25. I owned a Bu (LSV) and seriously looked at an X25 at one point. .. both are damn nice boats. Personally, I'd probably go MXZ24 over the 21 - but I like the room of a bigger boat.

Last edited by biggator; 02-23-2013 at 1:42 PM.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-23-2013, 5:46 PM Reply   
Boys will be boys! Sorry Nautigirls.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-23-2013, 6:19 PM Reply   
Has the OP considered last gen XStar? Sizzle sizzle!
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-23-2013, 6:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
And to my buddy: how come so many people are ditching their 25s for 30s?
I was not aware that anyone ditched a X25 for a X30..... I know that there are a bunch of new X30 owners, but none that ditched an X25 for one. I cant take anything away from the X30, I think its a great boat, but I have never heard anyone say (or post) that they are trading to an X30, from an X25, for a better wake.

Last edited by Fixable; 02-23-2013 at 6:31 PM.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-23-2013, 6:28 PM Reply   
The 30 is cheaper, supposedly surfs better, and has the rear facing seat.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-23-2013, 6:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
The 30 is cheaper, supposedly surfs better, and has the rear facing seat.
All true. It is 5k cheaper, and has a rear facing seat. I would say it does surf a tiny bit better.... Very little difference though. They are both great surf boats. The wakeboard wakes are drastically different.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-23-2013, 7:16 PM Reply   
The storage comment is moot. The Malibu g3 tower allows for two sets of board racks, where the mc tower only allows for one. In my experience most of the storage space we use is taken up by boards. Just about any boat has tons of storage once you take the boards out of the mix, and everyone we ride with has their own setups.
Old     (nautigirls)      Join Date: Dec 2000       02-23-2013, 8:01 PM Reply   
Demo'd both today. Both are great boats. Whoever said Malibu isn't made as well as Mastercraft must have never been on a Malibu. Both are made excellent. That being said both boats are basically the same price loaded. The wakes were both great. Wakeboarding being our first priority the edge went to Malibu. Not by a big margin. If we get more into surfing edge would definitely Malibu with surf gates that are awesome. MXZ seemed cushier but not by much. Looks wise slight edge Malibu. Seating in MC got edge. To sum it up, we have a decision to make. Also demo'd a SAN 230 last weekend and though really nice just not as comfortable in the interior. But still a great boat. These people who bash I don't understand.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-23-2013, 9:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautigirls View Post
Demo'd both today. Both are great boats. Whoever said Malibu isn't made as well as Mastercraft must have never been on a Malibu. Both are made excellent. That being said both boats are basically the same price loaded. The wakes were both great. Wakeboarding being our first priority the edge went to Malibu. Not by a big margin. If we get more into surfing edge would definitely Malibu with surf gates that are awesome. MXZ seemed cushier but not by much. Looks wise slight edge Malibu. Seating in MC got edge. To sum it up, we have a decision to make. Also demo'd a SAN 230 last weekend and though really nice just not as comfortable in the interior. But still a great boat. These people who bash I don't understand.
Sounds like you made up your mind. The important thing is that you are happy.

But c'mon, the MXZ wakeboard wake better than the X25? Really? Can I ask what your level of experience is in wakeboarding? Particularly, in your ability to judge a wakeboarding wake? What about the bu's wake was better?

I'll be first to call troll on the OP.
Old     (nautigirls)      Join Date: Dec 2000       02-23-2013, 9:52 PM Reply   
You are calling us trolls. How long have you been on wake world? We have since 2000. We are high intermediate riders. So that is what makes my opinion on WHAT we think is a slightly better wake. Holy crap! You have a serious problem.
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-23-2013, 10:10 PM Reply   
Quote:

But c'mon, the MXZ wakeboard wake better than the X25? Really? Can I ask what your level of experience is in wakeboarding? Particularly, in your ability to judge a wakeboarding wake? What about the bu's wake was better?

Hey OP, come over to themalibucrew . com if you want to speak with adults about this further. You won't find a better group of owners.
Old     (nautigirls)      Join Date: Dec 2000       02-23-2013, 10:23 PM Reply   
Thanks Preston. Looks like we will be over to the MalibuCrew.
Old     (nautigirls)      Join Date: Dec 2000       02-23-2013, 10:33 PM Reply   
Funny thing . We were on the fence and some yahoo pushes you over. Never said anything bad about any boat. That guy just joined and obviously has some kind of agenda. Stuff like that is just so wrong. This forum is suppose to be place to get honest opinions.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-23-2013, 10:39 PM Reply   
Soooooo....

You demo'ed a X25 and a 230 and thought the MXZ was the best boat for the same money? You ranked the MXZ wakeboard wake over the SAN 230 and the X25?

That must have been some salesman!
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-23-2013, 10:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautigirls View Post
Funny thing . We were on the fence and some yahoo pushes you over. Never said anything bad about any boat. That guy just joined and obviously has some kind of agenda. Stuff like that is just so wrong. This forum is suppose to be place to get honest opinions.
You were on the fence when you pretty much said the bu wins over the mc and nautique in every category including wakeboard wake?

If the bu was that much better why were you on the fence? I would venture a guess that less than one out of 10 knowledgeable riders would choose a 22MXZ over a X25 and a 230.

The dripping noise you hear is your arguments taking on water.

Now please, we are all very eager to know, what gave the MXZ's wakeboard wake the edge over the 230 and the X25? Please be specific
Old    9Drozd            02-23-2013, 11:14 PM Reply   
Damn Jet, you sound like the nagging ex-wife who got shafted in the divorce settlement. Chill out one time.
Old     (nautigirls)      Join Date: Dec 2000       02-23-2013, 11:17 PM Reply   
You're really a jerk. I never said everything was better in the bu. you are such a jerk that I will say OUR preference was the bu wake slightly. Nice ramp and nice kick for intermediate riders like us yet it can be more friendly to newbies. The funny thing is we really hadn't decided. All around same price but looking for overall best boat. I do know that any boat you think is better I won't buy because you really are a troll and as I said before a jerk. Are you a pro rider? Do you know more than anyone else. Have you gone thru all the factory's and seen how each brand of boat is built. If not then just shut up and let rational people express their opinion. Over and out Butt Ranger.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-23-2013, 11:23 PM Reply   
Jet... Why are you badgering the OP? You are taking this way too personally and being very argumentative. So they like the MXZ wake better. Big deal.

I don't find it hard to believe that they like the MXZ wake, just as I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd said they liked the X25 more. Both are awesome boats.

Honestly, it's a great wake, maybe the best in Malibu's line-up!

from Ioda Media on Vimeo.

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-23-2013, 11:36 PM Reply   
The only other thing I'll add is my OPINION about the transom area in each boat. I like transom seating and I liked the X25 seats when they first came out, but they are not comfortable because your butt has to sit on hard fiberglass. Also, the seats make it so the opening to the lockers is tiny!

I really like Malibu's implementation of a "bench" across the back of the transom much better. It ls more comfortable (you're not sitting on fiberglass), more functional (storage trays under the seats), bigger locker openings, and looks better (less gimmicky).

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-24-2013, 3:22 AM Reply   
Quote:

Phil Soven rides behind a MXZ. How much better of a rider are you than him?I would think he has won a few titles.How many has the Jet Ranger won? Inquiring minds would like to know.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-24-2013, 5:22 AM Reply   
Apologies to the OP. We all live in the same environment. We perceive our environment in different ways; these perceptions formed by a culmination of our experiences.

To the OP: did you not find that the MXZ's total cabin area and overall size to be much smaller than the other two boats? Maybe more equivalent to a 210 or X2?

It's the new gen XStar trick: call it a 22' boat yet the pickle forks eat up nearly 2'.
(the new XStar is a 24' boat yet is only about as big inside as a 22' boat).

230 and X25 have bigger wake capabilities, period!
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-24-2013, 5:30 AM Reply   
Disagree. I owned 3 230s and have ridden behind a slammed mxz. The mxz wake is better in my opinion. The LonRanger acts like the op is comparing an x25 to a seadoo or something. Keep it up though. You have already helped earn bu one more sale this season. Freaking mhunter all over again, only worse!
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       02-24-2013, 5:36 AM Reply   
Like someone said ranger you are taking this too personaly.OP if I were you i'd check out the Malibucrew.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       02-24-2013, 5:43 AM Reply   
And btw enjoy your new boat!!
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-24-2013, 5:43 AM Reply   
I digress. The OP owes it to herself to at least go test a RZ2 as well.
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-24-2013, 5:43 AM Reply   
This thread has been alot of fun to read through and has covered ALL of the winter "discussions" well.

I'll wade in on a few;

CC 230 wake stock + 1500- "won't clean up under 27mph" Total BS! We can ride my 230 stock + 2150 @ 23 mph, no problem. My 230 is an '08 model so stock is somewhere around 800#

I also think some posters in WW have really good arrangements with their dealers, so their posts are typically colored toward their current "deal." I wouldn't use the argument, "past owner=unbiased opinion" regarding their past or current rides.

Indmar=Ilmor=PCM "because they're all the same base GM engines"= Not true either, Manifolds, water pumps, coolers and a biggie is the tune of the ECM. As I stated above, I own PCM engined boat, and have friends with Indmars, in MY OPINION, the PCM has better ancillary components than the Indmars. Better raw water pumps, mounts, exhaust manifolds, and the PCM runs better, IN MY OPINION. Now the Ilmor is a very nice conversion, and their pumps, manifolds look to be VERY well engineered and built. They have some really nice touches on their engines, and are finished very well. I have only ridden in one, the 7.4 in an Xstar (I rode back to back against a current 230 @ TBS), and the 7.4 was a really strong engine, but was LOUD! Ran great, didn't miss a beat.

I have always thought the X25 is a cool boat, haven't had the opportunity to ride one. From all the pics of wakes behind them, the X25 looks like it has a steep wake. Having said that, isn't the MXZ a foot longer than a 25? I know the OP asked about opinions between these two boats, and I guess if you're looking @ pickle fork boats in the BU and MC lineup, those two will compete in the same space. To me the MXZ 22 is REALLY small in the main cabin, looks like my friends VTX size wize. I'm not a fan of extra room in the bow, but to each their own.

From my experience crawling around and working on several different brands of boats, manufacturers will tend to concentrate on what their marketing people are telling them their audience wants in their offerings. I have an opinion of what makes a boat "well built" and most of you will have your opinion on this as well. Most of the stuff thrown out here on WW won't make any difference to you who will own these boats for 3 year or less.

OK, carry on and COME ON WARM WEATHER! I started the first of my spring boat projects yesterday afternoon and made great progress, looking forward to a GREAT season!

To the OP, I hope you enjoy your new ride and you should post pics when you bring her home.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-24-2013, 5:44 AM Reply   
Hay Jet,

A little advice. Those that joined within the past 9 days and only have 31 posts, are probably not in a position to be calling anyone but themselves, trolls. I would suggest removing the owners goggles when you look at other boats. I have worked on X25's, 210's, 230's, a 22 MXZ and currently working on a 24 MXZ, as well as a ton of other boats. I can assure the OP, that your assessments of the interior space is off. The 22 and 24 MXZ's are HUGE in terms of seating and still lots of storage, even with the bow tank.

Wake capability: Now, I havent done a back to back of these boats, but I have seen the 22MXZ in competition trim, so again, I feel your statement is off.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-24-2013, 6:05 AM Reply   
Last I checked.....the person buying the boat JUDGES the wake. Doesn't matter what 10 other people think as they aren't writing the check for it!! Doesn't matter their ability level, matters what they like as they are the ones that are going to own it. All of these boats are good and it comes down to preference for most people. Most of us aren't pro caliber riders and never will be. Buy what you like and works best for your family.

Jet, who are you to judge? What you like, someone else may not or in this case vise versa. I'm still waiting on your reply to help me out with my investing since you are filthy rich. I assume this because you have owned 2 new 75K plus boat while seemingly being in college your entire adult life. Help a brother out!!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-24-2013, 6:31 AM Reply   
Jet you should probably stay in med school, keeping busy will keep you out of trouble on the web.

But you know the burning question on my mind...
Have you looked at an MB lately?
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-24-2013, 6:33 AM Reply   
Great post Milkack! I think your spot on about the owner thing. But I never said it took 27, more like 25. . And who only puts 2k over in a SAN??? Seriously though I have not ridden behind one my thoughts on this come from all the posts I've read and 2 non owner friends who took sets behind one this summer who both said they had to run 25+ and it sucked for them because they are not used to riding so fast. They both said wake was the biggest they had seen and on par with the demo they took behind the new star.

Now to the OP I have to say that I can understand why Jet is coming after you. I felt somewhat letdown with your lack of description also. You post up full knowing what you will get from WW by asking the question, after all you've been here a long time. Then you come back on the post saying you've decided and offer up no explanations, no WHY you like this over that, nothing. And no denying the MXC has the smallest interior of the boats listed. But it's still plenty, just smaller.

With all the wake talk you could have at least snapped a couple pics so we and future viewers of this thread could have seen what you seen that swayed you.

And to the guy that said the MXC with bow tank still has decent storage? Are you serious? It has ZERO storage with the tank! Nothing! Obviously you have never looked at one with that statement.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-24-2013, 7:44 AM Reply   
I'm not surprised at all that the OP liked the mxz wake. Rode one last fall and IMO it is the best wakeboard wake in malibus lineup. Great signature Malibu ramp with a steep super poppy peak, and with more weight I can only imagine how great it can get. Bu hulls love weight! The mxz is smaller behind the wind shield than the x25, but not by much since its a foot longer than the x25. Like I said earlier I believe the g3 tower is the best tower on the market due to being one of the few left built for 4 board racks, and how it keeps speakers out of people head space when moving around. Like was said before the transom seating is awesome. Bow storage... Not really a big deal since there isn't a whole lot you can store there. I usually have a ballast bag up there anyways, so I couldn't use it... Great choice on the boat, you're going to love it. Sounds like buttranger only has boat show exp of the boats he speaks of, and it's ironic he brings up great salesmen, because he reeks of the classic mc sales pitch lol

Last edited by cjh1669; 02-24-2013 at 7:50 AM.