Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (imoore)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-04-2012, 3:49 PM Reply   
Was anyone else disappointed about the way Defy turned out? Before I go on, I have always loved BFY and everything Ronix and Danny have ever done. There was just so much build up and talk. By the time the video came out I felt like I had seen the whole thing already though web videos for best tricks and articles in the mags leaving nothing to the imagination.

This is where I get to my point...Who is IODA Media? This is probably the sickest edit I have ever seen. Please don't let us down like Defy did, that goes for you too Lipsmack.

from Ioda Media on Vimeo.

Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-04-2012, 4:32 PM Reply   
are you kidding me??

There definitely was some things I would have done differently with Defy. But at the end of the day it was still a fantastic video and one I will keep on hand for sure.

I realize stuff like this gets hyped like crazy but at the same time I can't believe how much keyboard heroes like you are trying to demand from the athletes. They don't owe you anything. They get paid to do what they do because they're good at it, and if you were let down that's too bad. I thoroughly enjoyed a whole bunch of bangers including double flips, spins, and my favorite trick to watch... a blind pete.

Next time you go to write something like that... picture yourself saying it in front of Sean and Danny.
"Hey guys, you devoted 3 years of your life to it and even though I will never come close to being as good as you.... it was a bust."

I would hope you end up with a bloody nose
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-04-2012, 4:46 PM Reply   
i was kinda like you Ian. i was disappointed after 2 years of hype i expected a LOT.
when i was watching it it was just like the other 15 dvds i have.
it was touted as ground breaking. i may have missed something but i didnt see anything i hadnt already seen before.
but as with any wake video i enjoyed it.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-04-2012, 5:10 PM Reply   
I think your opinion with the IODA vid is kinda skewed. Its much easier for someone to edit a "HOLY CRAP!" teaser that really grabs you attention with huge tricks and fast music, than to make a full 40/50 minute video. And I'm not knocking the IODA vid. It looks good, but when I was watching the teasers for DEFY, I got more goosebumps than from that one.

Start at 0:53 for what I'm really talking about

And was I disappointed with DEFY? Hell no! It really held my attention through the whole movie which is no something I can say about every vid. It offered new branches that I hadn't seen before like the surfing. Also the pool setup at radar, the monster rail and the step-up-step-down pool were awesome! And the soundtrack! My ears have never been so happy

One of my favourite sections of any movie is Danny's at the end, and it will be for quite some time.

What were you expecting? Just doing double flips and 10s off double ups to a dubstep soundtrack can wear out quickly...

Last edited by irishrider92; 04-04-2012 at 5:17 PM.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-04-2012, 5:40 PM Reply   
I mean I've already seen all the biggest tricks being thrown down by harley clifford
Old     (imoore)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-04-2012, 5:50 PM Reply   
Im sorry, I can tell I am coming across like a huge negative ned. I LOVED the Defy trailer. Best I've ever seen (snow, wake, skate, you name it). I also loved Defy, I have payed full attention to the wake industry for years and Defy was one of the most ground breaking vids of all time. To answer your question Brian, I was just expecting the tempo from the trailer to be the same in the video. I have a little editing experience my self and the full length video just seemed a bit rushed. To sum all of this up, if you are going to "tease" the entire wake community with a bad ass teaser then back it with the craziest video we've ever seen. I have a feeling these Ioda guys are going to surprise the wake industry with something new that is going to change the way wake videos are filmed...I just have a feeling. And Lipsmack is definitely going to speak for itself.
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-04-2012, 6:20 PM Reply   

No Hype.....

So much goes into making a movie. So many different things play a huge role. People getting hurt, weather and just things lining. Sometimes it seems that nothing is going your way.

DEFY had a lot to live up to and Danny/Kilgus put their heart and soul into it. No one is making full length movies these days and that says a lot when Danny put everything on the line for his movie.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-04-2012, 6:36 PM Reply   
I would love to contribute to this, but 6 months later I'm still waiting for my copy of Defy to show up...
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-04-2012, 7:20 PM Reply   
Hey Ben. Dont download it at http://www.extremebits.org/details.php?id=11158

P2P sharing is illegal
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-04-2012, 8:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
Hey Ben. Dont download it at http://www.extremebits.org/details.php?id=11158

P2P sharing is illegal
Super shady thing to post up. Definitely ban worthy in my book. Wake industry has been struggling to put out full length vids as it is, don't need one of the core sites linking to a place that eliminates the possibility of top quality feature films in the future.

Last edited by joe_crawley; 04-04-2012 at 8:23 PM.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-04-2012, 8:39 PM Reply   
Yeah I'm not going to download it.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-04-2012, 8:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_killa_ss View Post
it was touted as ground breaking. i may have missed something but i didnt see anything i hadnt already seen before.
Did I watch a different movie? What about the step up pool? Curved down slider? The island park with the Sys2.0? 2 helicopters?

I understand much of the movie's tricks were leaked through ads and awards, but I consider "groundbreaking" to be something that hasn't really been tried yet. I think DEFY was amazing. Did it exceed expectation? Yes and no. I expected the boat tricks. Who didnt? We all know multiple riders in DEFY have double flips and 1080+ spins, etc. that would be broken out in this movie. I DIDN'T expect the amazing editing, plus the often unrecognized filming aspect of the movie, and the obstacle tricks.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-04-2012, 9:53 PM Reply   
Ban GQ please. Thats garbage!
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-04-2012, 10:03 PM Reply   
Jeez Dwight, chill. There's nothing wrong with criticism. Just because OP can't ride like Danny or film like Kilgus doesn't mean he can't criticize their work. He's just sharing his opinion. That's what forums are for. Relax!
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-04-2012, 10:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettofab View Post

No Hype.....

So much goes into making a movie. So many different things play a huge role. People getting hurt, weather and just things lining. Sometimes it seems that nothing is going your way.

DEFY had a lot to live up to and Danny/Kilgus put their heart and soul into it. No one is making full length movies these days and that says a lot when Danny put everything on the line for his movie.
Dude every body knows you will bring the heat with lipsmack. let me know when I can pre order.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-04-2012, 11:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
Jeez Dwight, chill. There's nothing wrong with criticism. Just because OP can't ride like Danny or film like Kilgus doesn't mean he can't criticize their work. He's just sharing his opinion. That's what forums are for. Relax!
Hey I get sharing an opinion... it's the total bust part that bugs me.

Criticism even helps..... bad press is better than no press right???
I hope there's people looking for defy.... oh by the way it's in the iTunes store right now!

My biggest frustration is how more and more people are demanding athletes to meet their expectations. Like their expectations for this movie weren't met so it's a total bust. Give me a break. Start coming into these things with an open mind and enjoy it a little more!
Old     (Frozenwhite)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-05-2012, 2:33 AM Reply   
I only started wakeboarding last year and DEFY is the first wakebaording movie I have ever watched (downloaded from itunes last week). I thought it was outstanding. Would appreciate if people could list other movies I have to check out
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-05-2012, 4:53 AM Reply   
Push Process, The Butter Effect, Global Warning, Out of the Pond... someone else will pick it up from there.
Old     (Frozenwhite)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-05-2012, 5:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminp View Post
Push Process, The Butter Effect, Global Warning, Out of the Pond... someone else will pick it up from there.
Thanks, hardest part will be trying to source them over here in Scotland
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-05-2012, 6:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Transgression, 12 Honkeys, Switch 22, Momentum, etc.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-05-2012, 6:26 AM Reply   
Chris if you can get to Robin Coates or Gordie Forsyth from loch Lomond, they'll probably have a good few vids which they'd share.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-05-2012, 6:35 AM Reply   
Transgression is a must watch DVD!! I don't think there will ever be a movie that is more inspiring and pumps me up more. I may be a bit biased as Randall is one of my favorite riders, but being able to watch him comeback from his struggle and not riding for over 2 years is just inspiring to me. Plus I think the music is awesome. It is true mood music that goes with the film. Not whats hot right now.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-05-2012, 7:27 AM Reply   
Hell ya. Vandall is a beast.
Old    alanp            04-05-2012, 7:29 AM Reply   
ian no need to apologize, if you didnt like the dvd thats fine. dwight didnt even take the time to read your post and is way more of a "keyboard hero" imo. if something is going to be hyped for 2 years it better be really good, and i tend to agree this wasnt some mind blowing dvd.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-05-2012, 7:30 AM Reply   
how do you sign up for extreme bits it wont let me
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-05-2012, 8:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_vilfo View Post
how do you sign up for extreme bits it wont let me
Its a sign
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-05-2012, 8:27 AM Reply   
I thought DEFY was amazing, and was bummed when it ended.
Old     (MrPeepers)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-05-2012, 8:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
Hey Ben. Dont download it at http://www.Cisco'sAnA$$hole.org

P2P sharing is illegal
The sauce is weak with this one.
Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-05-2012, 9:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_crawley View Post
Super shady thing to post up. Definitely ban worthy in my book. Wake industry has been struggling to put out full length vids as it is, don't need one of the core sites linking to a place that eliminates the possibility of top quality feature films in the future.
Oh please! It's not like they're dying making $450 a board and $450 a pair of bindings....
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-05-2012, 9:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToPHeR35 View Post
Oh please! It's not like they're dying making $450 a board and $450 a pair of bindings....
I really doubt they make 100% profit on every board they sell...
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-05-2012, 9:18 AM Reply   
the full length wakeboard film is dying, and bashing on any full length is absurd. If you want all you're videos to go to the web right away you will kill the art of cinematography in wakeboarding, and give less reasons for companies to fund videos.
Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-05-2012, 9:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
I really doubt they make 100% profit on every board they sell...
Ok so conservative estimates are 50%. Figure selling 1 board and 1 pair of boots = 900

Half of 900 is 450...

still not bad, now add in all accessories such as ropes, handles, vests, etc...

I did a report on Ronix for my MBA class last year and I found a vague description of company operations which states that their yearly sales are between 5-10 mil
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-05-2012, 9:40 AM Reply   
Kilgus doesn't make $1 off of board sales! Cisco you're a douche
Old     (imoore)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-05-2012, 10:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahhh View Post
the full length wakeboard film is dying, and bashing on any full length is absurd. If you want all you're videos to go to the web right away you will kill the art of cinematography in wakeboarding, and give less reasons for companies to fund videos.
I am NOT trying to bash on full length wake films, I think they are a very helpful tool in pushing wakeboarding. And I never dogged the riders or demanded more from the athletes, all I said was that the edit seemed rushed and Kilgus did not put out a video that met expectations. The reason I make these allegations is simply because I see some really positive up and comers like Ioda Media. #permacation isn't going to be a full length film but if you read the description there was $0 funding and the teaser is one of the best I have ever seen. Lipsmack is going to be amazing because we don't know what to expect. Keep killing it Ioda, I can't wait to see the web edits. I hope one day soon you get funding to make a full length film that blows minds.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-05-2012, 10:51 AM Reply   
What are the best Randall videos
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-05-2012, 11:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampawake View Post
I've watched his section in "My Side" probably 1000 times. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-05-2012, 11:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaxymek View Post
Did I watch a different movie? What about the step up pool? Curved down slider? The island park with the Sys2.0? 2 helicopters?

I understand much of the movie's tricks were leaked through ads and awards, but I consider "groundbreaking" to be something that hasn't really been tried yet. I think DEFY was amazing. Did it exceed expectation? Yes and no. I expected the boat tricks. Who didnt? We all know multiple riders in DEFY have double flips and 1080+ spins, etc. that would be broken out in this movie. I DIDN'T expect the amazing editing, plus the often unrecognized filming aspect of the movie, and the obstacle tricks.
yeah i had already seen all those by the time the DVD came out.
i love any full length wake film DVD. have nearly every one. but this one had SO much hype, and for so long.
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-05-2012, 11:42 AM Reply   
I thought defy was sick! Double ups, travel, rails, stunts at radar, tow in wakeboarding, and even a little wakeskate action! The only thing missing was some winching dams and spillways. I think it was the best feature length movie since out of the pond. Plus tons of bonus features; I don't know how you can hate on such a dope film. Great job kilgus and harf!!! Oh and I was pretty amped on shanes riding in the film too, best riding I've seen out of him in a couple of years. Since you were soooo dissapointed w defy then enlighten us on what else you would of like to seen in there to get ur golden seal of approval?
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-05-2012, 12:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Transgression. It was his comeback section and still a legendary one.
Old     (imoore)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-05-2012, 1:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Natural Born Thrillaz. His first trick was the biggest T-B you've ever seen, and it's behind an outboard with no tower. Closer, he does a massive front 3 of the dub with his back foot out of the boot. Best video part of all times in my opinion.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-05-2012, 2:12 PM Reply   
The truth, relentless and innuendo were good too. Don't forget pre pop!
Old     (Frozenwhite)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-05-2012, 2:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrider92 View Post
Chris if you can get to Robin Coates or Gordie Forsyth from loch Lomond, they'll probably have a good few vids which they'd share.
Never even thought of that. Robin is coming back over next month so I'll ask him then
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-05-2012, 9:10 PM Reply   
I gotta say I agree with the OP. Don't get me wrong, I really liked Defy but I expected more for some reason. Too much hype like others have said is what I think. The other reason could possibly be becasue I watched The Art of Flight about a week before Defy came and that movie was mind blowing. It's just too bad there is so much more money in snowboarding to produce these films and travel to all the crazy places with amazing scenery.
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-06-2012, 5:15 PM Reply   
no hate for defy.

best wake film i have seen in ages. older movies in my collection like the truth will be hard pressed to get a run again.

defy just just makes them look dated.
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-06-2012, 5:55 PM Reply   
Defy was great. And if you think anyone is getting rich in the wakeboard industry, I'd like to strongly disagree. Please don't steal from this industry, try to support it. end of rant.

OP, that Slingshot film looked good!
Old     (sideswipeproductions)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-06-2012, 10:27 PM Reply   
It blows my mind that the link and that fool that posted it still on here. Totally ban worthy.

I can tell you from first hand experience, no-one is getting rich making wakeboard films. We do it because we love it.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-07-2012, 11:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenwhite View Post
Never even thought of that. Robin is coming back over next month so I'll ask him then
Yeah man I got Slick City off his brother D. Freakin hilarious vid!
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       04-07-2012, 2:01 PM Reply   
I think the greater issue with this thread that is the elephant in the room...web videos.

I'm assuming that harf and Sean didnt know the hype would trail on as long as it did, due to injuries, etc. In my opinion nautique did it right with the new G23 hype. It was far enough out to build anticipation, but didn't drag out.

So again with drawn out hype, web videos that show us on a week to week basis the new stuff being stomped, it did make it harder to not watch defy and feel a bit of a let down.

That said, I've grown up with this sport, and defy was ground breaking with the production level and was a great film.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-07-2012, 3:06 PM Reply   
more jiggling busts would be good
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-07-2012, 10:30 PM Reply   
Ironically, I paid for Defy on iTunes cuz I believe in supporting the industry. I bought In Transit for the same reason. People who illegally download wakeboard movies should realize who they are stealing from. But does it really 'hurt' the industry?

Ronix got their exposure. Kilgus got paid. I'm sure Kilgus is losing royalties from pirated copies. Probably riders too, especially Danny Harf.

Yet somehow we can download Liquidn's On The Line for free without 'hurting' the industry.

Why would I post a link that could 'hurt' the industry? Well, let's just say I underestimated the consequences of my actions.

GIFSoup
Old     (imoore)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-09-2012, 11:22 AM Reply   

from Ioda Media on Vimeo.

I told you it would be good. Nice work Zach Schneider!
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-09-2012, 1:56 PM Reply   
I really enjoyed Defy and Defy is probably the most extreme "big-budget" wake film to date, but I refused to watch any of the teasers starting about the begining of last season because I knew this was one that I wanted to buy and watch on the big screen (okay, my TV is only 40", but that is bigger than my laptop).

I learned my lesson years ago with Pointless. Still a super awesome video and one for any wake-fan's collection, but it took about 3 years to make and just about every shot was online, in another video or in a magazine by the time it went on sale. It really blunted the awesome impact of the video when I finally watched it on TV
Old     (Frozenwhite)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-10-2012, 7:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrider92 View Post
Yeah man I got Slick City off his brother D. Freakin hilarious vid!
Sound advice man. Robin is going to sort me out with a few
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-10-2012, 8:05 AM Reply   
Speaking of Defy - do you guys know what size wheels those are on Dannys black tahoe pulling the 230?? Are those 20's or 18's???

sick vid BTW.