Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-02-2005, 1:37 PM Reply   
how many posters here both wakeboard and wakeskate? I have never skated and it looks fun but I am fearful of the one foot on,one foot off mishap. I have been fortunate to escape injury wakeboarding, hence the fear factor. Should I just pull up my skirt and give it a try????
Old    260searay            11-02-2005, 1:58 PM Reply   
I have never tried it either. To me it looks less dangerous because you are not attatched.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-02-2005, 2:05 PM Reply   
I don't know man. Byerly is out this year after dislocating his knee(and popping back into place himself) and Murray had his new cashed also. I don't know IMO with a wakeboard there is more room for error.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-02-2005, 2:06 PM Reply   
I picked it up for a while after a bad ankle sprain trying a switch roll. It was a lot of fun. Mostly at the cable park. Learned to slide the table and hit the small ramp. I got my head wacked once after trying to jump the wake behind my boat. Learn to keep your head covered until you know where the skate is going after you fall. I never really thought about hurting the knees until I heard about some people doing it.

The skate is a lot of work to learn and the results are not that exciting. I couldn't see giving up wakeboarding for it, but it makes a nice alternative if you get lots of time on the water.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-02-2005, 2:07 PM Reply   
I wakeboard, wakeskate, wakesurf, swim, tube, and drink beer.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-02-2005, 2:14 PM Reply   
We have this awesome thing called "Wakeskate Battling" it invloves 2-5 people behind the same boat each armed with a foam bat and usually a head full of Jack. Last man standing wins, wins what you might ask? Honor is what we strive for. It's pretty funny watching someone take a full cut at a friend and spear them like a linebacker. In that case both go down but the attacker gets the W. The traditional foam bat to the grill is awesome too. There have been many a great times had by all. That is what wakeskating is to me.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-02-2005, 2:18 PM Reply   
Oh Heavy you have to get a vid. That is priceless.
Old     (cubanismo)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-02-2005, 2:18 PM Reply   
True that, Paul!

In a more direct answer, yes I do wakeskate. Though I can't throw any shove-its or kick flips, I can jump wake to wake. If you haven't given w2w a try on a wakeskate, you're missing out. The falls aren't too bad, and it's quite the thrill to feel the board come off your feet and then land back down on it. I think that's great advice to cover your head when you fall for fear that the deck may hit your head; however, I think that's could policy with wakeboarding as well.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-02-2005, 2:22 PM Reply   
Steve ~ and how in the hell come I haven't been invited to any of these events? It's cause you know I'll kick your ass and be CHAMPION! sounds like a good time bro. too funny!
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-02-2005, 2:53 PM Reply   
I do both (and wakesurfing), and I think its great for many reasons. For people who still need to work on edging technique, a wakeskate it pretty helpful, since you can't rely so much on the luxury of being strapped in. I have wakeskated this whole season and not wakeboarded because I had knee surgery from a wakeboarding crash last year, and have been taking my time strengthening and rehabbing. I have been trying shuv-its (unsuccessful so far, but close), and can clear the wake (an awesome feeling as pointed out by Andre. I think you should totally set aside your fear of wakeskating and go for it. imo you can go bigger and get injured more severly on a wakeboard. I've had the skate hit me a few times, but nothing major.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-02-2005, 3:15 PM Reply   
..yea wakeskate wars is always fun! But then there was this one friend (cough Zack N. cough) that took a nice cut into me, ollied, and landed in my lap. Not too funny sounding but he had a wakeboard on! Needless to say we both fell pretty hard. Try getting run over with some hyperlite fins.... that sucks ass too! But hey, you gotta learn whats smart and whats not somehow.
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-02-2005, 3:42 PM Reply   
I also demand video of the wakeskate battles. What happens to the lowly battle loosers? How long do they have to wait to get picked up?!!
Old     (roberto)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-02-2005, 5:04 PM Reply   
I've always wondered what posses people to take up log rolling. Now I know.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-02-2005, 5:16 PM Reply   
Heavy, that is solid, we do that on kneeboards, it is alot of fun, or one of us will standup on the kneeboard, leep off it and body slam the other
Wakeskating is a ton of fun guys... I recommend you try it, for me the thrill is never feeling COMPLETELY balanced, there is so much goen on, one little move here and WOAH near fall... knee injuries are possible but its still fun, good change of pace, I believe it may have helped my riding this year learning W2W on the skate...
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       11-02-2005, 5:27 PM Reply   
i have wakeskated but IMHO it just gets boring..
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-02-2005, 11:57 PM Reply   
I also have a skate, and use to ride it quite a bit. Definately fun, and a different ride. .....The one day, Clubmyke landed one foot on and one off, and blew out his knee. That about did it for me. Heck, I have a bunch of wakeboards to choose from, and have gotten more into wakesurfing now. It is great to watch the really good skaters though. Takes a great talent to do some of those tricks.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-03-2005, 4:01 AM Reply   
I do both. What opens up wakeskating to injury is the one foot on, one foot off landings are a lot more prevalent.
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-03-2005, 5:14 AM Reply   
I do both. I suck at both too! Wakeboarding is eaiser to do but both are great fun.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-03-2005, 6:32 AM Reply   
Yes, I love it and especially going wake to wake because it requires a certain smoothness.

You can still get messed up doing the "little" tricks though. One day I sprained my knee and my ankle at the same time popping a 180 shuv it off the wake when my one leg buckled underneath me while staying on the board.

Then, a couple weeks ago I had a pretty good run...wake to wakes hs, ts and a nice half cab w2w among other things, so I throw the rope and slide out into the flats frontside and then backside and tried to kick the board out while sliding backside and the rail dug and I slashed my knee open on the rail.

That's pretty much the worst of my experiences and I've been skating in between boarding (about 25% of the time) since Cassette started making decks. I've seen worse, but on the whole it's safer than wakemaboarding IMO.

Plus, you're a spring chicken compared to Byerly or Murray and you're profile says a "production manager"...you can do that job on crutches, right? LOL...I kid, I kid.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-03-2005, 10:46 AM Reply   
Yeah Dave you are right. I think I am going to pick one up this offseason. And if I end up on crutches that just gives me even more time to be on WW at work.
Old    drewsky24            11-03-2005, 9:10 PM Reply   
Im gonna start wakeskating, i have a cable park near me and it sucks for wakeboarding.
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-08-2005, 6:20 AM Reply   
My boys and I do both. I don't do anything but carve and slide. the boys can ollie and do 1 wake jumps. I think it makes us better wakeboarders. the twitchyness of the wakeskate makes you work harder to control it, then it ends up makin you smoother on the wakeboard. I like both.
Old     (slob02)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-08-2005, 7:01 AM Reply   
I like to do try them all..Board,slalom,skate,airchair,and barefoot. I just wish I was really good at one of them.

www.slobgear.com

(Message edited by slob02 on November 08, 2005)
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-08-2005, 7:07 AM Reply   
"Im gonna start wakeskating, i have a cable park near me and it sucks for wakeboarding."

But that wave ramp right off the starting dock is good for throwning down some good tricks. I don't care much for your park, but I love that ramp. And you have some great riders there.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-08-2005, 1:54 PM Reply   
MSimpson...... nice collage! That a true lover of anything water!
Old     (nwa)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-08-2005, 3:12 PM Reply   
I am relatively new to both, however, once skill progression on the wakeboard begins to frustrate me and it seems to be not as fun for a bit, wakeskating is the perfect release. I am not good at either of them yet but being out there on the skate provides a little more freedom to goof off.