Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old     (p_b_parks)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-16-2004, 2:21 PM Reply   
are they hard? i've got my backroll pretty much down then im gonna do crow and after a tantrum but im thinking after the tantrum maybe a batwng are they hard?
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-16-2004, 3:03 PM Reply   
well, you just said you are gonna do a crow then a tantrum and then maybe a batwing. but the title is...how hard are raleys. which one are you wanting to learn? i would think batwings are the hardest, but thats my personal opinion. raleys just take some guts and some hard busts. there are trick tips on the front page and also trick advice under the discussion board. i am sure you can find a lot there.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-16-2004, 3:52 PM Reply   
The best quote I ever read was out of Wakeboard mag in a raley tip. "If you want to know what it feels like to not pull in a raley go stand in a shower and have a friend hit you with a baseball bat. Thats about what it feels like."
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-16-2004, 4:17 PM Reply   
my cousin broke his ribs from not pulling in a raley. he landed his first one and got a little confident.
Old     (rodeo)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-16-2004, 5:25 PM Reply   
still haven't landed one. tried about 5-6 times. lake level went down, so the lake corps made me quit. said I was drinking to much. Its amazing how much water goes through a shut mouth when force fed.
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-16-2004, 5:52 PM Reply   
Throw it BIG, keep your head up and pull it back right away. A big wake helps a ton, people are going to flame me for this but it might be difficult for someone only doing backrolls to pull a raley behind a four winns unless it is really sacked down. If I were you I would learn a few more spins and inverts before you tackle the raley, but if your heart is set on it go for it.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-16-2004, 6:39 PM Reply   
my cousin got a concussion, had to go to ER and can never wakeboard again because of a raley attempt
Old     (p_b_parks)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-16-2004, 7:06 PM Reply   
really how?
Old     (p_b_parks)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-16-2004, 7:06 PM Reply   
thats bad
Old     (p_b_parks)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-16-2004, 7:08 PM Reply   
but a batwing doesnt look too hard its just a ts indy when you bring your feet to your hands and not your hands to your feet
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-16-2004, 7:34 PM Reply   
he didnt pull the board back in. Batwings are harder then you think. If you can do ts indy's into the flats you can try them. Try to tweak more each time.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-16-2004, 8:20 PM Reply   
My son has been working on raleys for a couple of months now. He finally held on to one last weekend.

Most of the time he has managed to get the board back underneath him before he hits the water. It at least breaks most of the fall, then it is just a major faceplant or tumble. Occasionally, however, he never got high enough to start with and the board is not underneath him when he hits water, and .......

No serious injuries from Raley attempts yet, but he always makes it his last attempt of his run because he rarely feels like making a second attempt right away.

Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-17-2004, 6:25 AM Reply   
I can tell you it doesn't feel good when you eat it practicing off the Cable. And that's just standing there launching off the dock without the board.........
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-17-2004, 7:56 AM Reply   
I think the biggest mistake people make when trying their first raley is cutting out as far as they can and then flying into the wake too fast and missing the pop, thats what I was doing at first. I started landing them after I took a basic backroll cut and threw the raley up more than out. I only land 5-10 feet into the flats but have plenty of time to pull it in.
Old    atom_ant            08-18-2004, 10:35 AM Reply   
watch the higher ed vol. 2. cut out pretty far and then have a hard edge back into the wake. one thing that helps me is to keep my head up and looking forward
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-18-2004, 12:31 PM Reply   
In a few minutes i'm going to make a Doctor appointment because a week ago i bit it hard trying a big raley. I landed my first one the time before and i think i got to confident. There is no question though the one i landed before was a smaller progressive cut than all the others i've tried.
Every raley attempt has hurt worse than anything else i've tried.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-18-2004, 12:50 PM Reply   
Good advice melv. Murray in Detention also suggests not take a big wide cut. But to def edge hard through the top of the wake.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-18-2004, 1:21 PM Reply   
Doing a raley is easy.....
its landing it that is the hard part