Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2008

Old     (dnannen)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-06-2008, 7:22 PM Reply   
Hey today I took the boat out and was an idiot i forgot to put the plug in. We started to notice we were sinking and turned the pump on and floored it back to the trailer at like 10 mph. There was a good amount of water up to the motor. Finally got it out and drained it. We put it back in and the rest of the day was fine. I was just wondering if I should be worried or any suggestions on if I should do something to it since it was in water. Will it be ok or am I screwed down the road? Please help Thanks
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-06-2008, 7:25 PM Reply   
You should be fine as long as your starter was not under water... Other than that, it is the reason there is a bilge pump. I have done it, nothing wrong.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-06-2008, 7:25 PM Reply   
Always carry a few spares in the boat??
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-06-2008, 7:26 PM Reply   
Check the oil for a milky look to it. Also check out the v-drive and tranny unit for water contamination.
Old     (my_malibu)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-06-2008, 7:35 PM Reply   
I love doing that
I have a bar of soap on board so that you can shove it in the hole to stop the leak
Easy clean up
Long story lets just say I check the plugs now
Old     (andy13)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-06-2008, 7:39 PM Reply   
I left mine out once I just got in the water and put it back in and bilged all the water out
Old     (dnannen)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-06-2008, 7:51 PM Reply   
Ya I know the starter was ok I will checked the oil and tranny already everything was clean. I almost did jump in but I was freakin out cause I thought it was going to sink plus we were close to the launch so I thought it was best just to pull it out. I will tell you though when I hit the gas and it was barely going my heart sunk all I saw in my head was its goin under and my dads going to shoot me.I laugh now but wont do that again. I am putting a sticker next to the ignition saying PLUG THE HOLE. Thanks guys.
Old     (tversetti)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-06-2008, 7:53 PM Reply   
"plug the hole"
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-06-2008, 8:22 PM Reply   
I was rushed one time putting in my boat and forgot the plug. My wife started laughing when the cooler popped out of the floor. I also forgot to disconnect the tower speaker wires one time when folding it down to put in the garage. You'll only do those things once. Don't you feel dumb.
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-06-2008, 9:18 PM Reply   
back when i was in high school i had my bass boat full with 10 people, 2 ice chest and a keg. i figured i was alright since i was only goin about a quarter mile to the beach. but we got half way there and a ski boat came across throwin about a 2ft rolloer and i was sittin about 3 or 4in out of the water. boat pretty much filled up but since it has all of the flotation in it it didnt sink. I went ahead and got to the beach, unloaded everyone and then told them to watch this cool trick. me and buddy(who was drunk which made this very interesting since he was screamin "im gonna die" the whole time) backed the boat off the beach and i told him to pull the plug out. he did it after a little hesitation. i floored it and all of the sudden the water level in the boat started to drop. did this till it was empty, put the plug back in, bilged out the last inch of two and was good for the rest of the day excpet for the wet carpet. just a handy little trick to get water out faster. bilge and pull the plug. its kinda common sense once you think about it but most people just dont think about doin that.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-07-2008, 6:38 AM Reply   
If I pull the plug on my boat, I will sink, regardless of ebing on plane, the bilge runnign, sitting. Unless my boat is out of the water, then plug is in.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-07-2008, 6:37 PM Reply   
The steering cable will often be toast after a hull flood. Unfortunately they have never added a zerk fitting to the steering cable. You can do add a zerk if you have the tools and skills to do it. Otherwise plan on replacing the steering cable soon.

As mentioned above the starter will often bite the dust too. The solenoid, if mounted on the starter, rusts out.
Old     (trainwreck)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-07-2008, 7:35 PM Reply   
The fresh water hose came off my engine in my 06 21V and filled the boat up with HOT water all the way up to the floor before we realized something was wrong.

Fried my alternator, starter, some radio stuff, my perfect pass, and a number of other things. The boat was never the same after that trip.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-07-2008, 7:53 PM Reply   
Peter, all three of my Sanger's have had a zerk on the rudder end of the steering cable. I just assumed all were like that. Even when I replaced the one in the 88, the new one came with a zerk on it...
Old     (dnannen)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-07-2008, 9:11 PM Reply   
Trainwreck how long till everything fried?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-07-2008, 10:10 PM Reply   
Mark, what brand cable? Teleflex doesn't come with them, nor does the higher quality Morse cables. Are you sure it is not the grease fitting at the cable mount? All rudders should have a zerk too. With a zerk fitting installed there is no need to ever replace a steering cable in a normal boats lifetime. I put one into my Morse cable after someone turned my bilge pump off for the day. It was completely locked up, the steering wheel would not turn, and I was able to bring it back to life.
Old     (2manytoys)      Join Date: May 2007       04-08-2008, 6:45 AM Reply   
Crap trainwreck.. my rwp to thermostat housing j-hose bust last week and filled my boat up.. I hope all that doesn't happen to mine. Interested to know how soon your problems started
Old     (kana12)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-08-2008, 5:29 PM Reply   
when we went to buy our 2002 old tige 22i they forgot to put in both of the plugs for the lake test. we drove around for about 45 min or an hour and never even knew they were out until we loaded the boat back up. i thought that the wake was bigger when were went out on the lake test than after we bought it. it was natural balast. lol
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-08-2008, 5:39 PM Reply   
If my boat is on the trailer, I attach the plug to my boat's keys with a large rubber band. Makes it almost impossible to start the boat without realizing the plug is out. If my boat is on my lift (which is 99% of the time), I put the plug right under the wheel of the lift (can't miss it). My problem is I will take the plug out and my wife won't know it and put the boat down. By putting it under the wheel, she won't miss it.
Old     (tlatoani)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-08-2008, 6:25 PM Reply   
You guys take your plug out every trip? I have generally only done it for winterization.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-09-2008, 1:37 AM Reply   
dont let your boat get caught in a bad rain storm with your battery low or with your main battery off, same thing as flooding thru no plug when in the water