Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-21-2012, 2:39 PM Reply   
Hey guys,

So it's another season and I'm looking to add to my board collection. This year I want to get something different. I have the comp level boards, now I want to get something for those relaxing days, and for when you're bringing out some family or friends that can't do much.

I'm looking for something that can work well for people over 200 pounds.

I bought the IS Sweet Spot today, but I'm already thinking it might be a little small and not "cruisey" enough. The boards I have available to buy would be most of the IS line, the Phase 5 boards, as well as the generic wakeboard company boards. I could go either way with surf or skim style.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by taft; 07-21-2012 at 2:48 PM.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-21-2012, 3:10 PM Reply   
I have really been into "performance" longboard wakesurfs. I rode a 5'8" Mendonesia and it was a blast. I was able to cross step and do some fun cuts on it. Walker Project also makes the Cruiser in a 6' and 6'6" that is a lot of fun. RJ Garcia of Wake9 has been killing it on that board.

Some of these longboards are not beginner friendly since they are still very responsive, but for people that know how to ride, it is a fun way to unwind and do something different. I think the Walker Project Crusier is pretty beginner friendly though.

I dont know any company that makes Wakesurf Longboards as production models yet, but you can custom order them through Mendonesia Surf, The Walker Project, and Evercarve.

I'm taking out Jeff Walkers custom 5'5" 5 fin Bonzer tomorrow and I can't wait to try it.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-21-2012, 3:20 PM Reply   
The phase 5 Carbon X Hybrid is the best of both worlds. It should be good for 100 to 250 lbs. It has 3 fins so it's real stable. Also has alot of down the line speed that will also help the beginner.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-21-2012, 5:19 PM Reply   
Ya I'm leaning a little towards the Phase 5 right now. Could be fun to have something totally different for those days when you get a bit tired of the usual. Tough decision though. My area is a bit limited with riders with their own boards, and demos of new boards, so it is pretty much buy and hope for the best.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-22-2012, 2:23 PM Reply   
So I had this 6 foot noserider core since 2009 sitting in my tin can , so i decided to finish it this year, specs as is
71x22x2
3# eps core
2mm cork deck traction
Futures nose rider fin 10.25
Futures strong box 10"
finished weight of 10# with fin
cloth inlay
UVtopcoat spray

It took 3 days to make:
Day 1 , shape, lam bottom inlay, install fin box
Day 2 , bottom lam , top lam , bag cork, fill coat
Day 3 , sand , paint rail and pin line, spray UV topcoat

This is the first build of its kind for me and, took so long because i could not decide of bottom contours and other mods.
Attached Images

Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-22-2012, 2:32 PM Reply   
better bottom inlay pic
Attached Images

Last edited by brewkettle; 07-22-2012 at 2:35 PM.