Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-04-2008, 3:19 PM Reply   
Disregaurding the price, what are some of the pros and cons of these new boards that are weighing in under 6 pounds? Why dont alot of the pros ride them, cuz isnt lighter better?
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-04-2008, 4:36 PM Reply   
Jimmy Lariche was riding the sub 6 for a while antill he got on the Merak.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-04-2008, 4:38 PM Reply   
i am pretty sure that jimmy is back on the sub 6
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-04-2008, 5:45 PM Reply   
The Marek is made by the same production process as the Sub VI and the Bylery Monarch isn't it? I thought the Marek was less than 6 lbs. too.
Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-05-2008, 8:07 AM Reply   
I know Lariche was riding the marek for a while atleast. Dunno if hes riding the sub 6 or not. But what are some of the pros and cons of these boards?
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-05-2008, 8:56 AM Reply   
Jimmie is on the new Sub VI...pros are that the board feels practically weight-less in the air...Jimmie loves the new Sub, which is actually lighter than it was last year. He didn't have anything bad to say about the board when I got to talk to him about it.
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-06-2008, 1:40 PM Reply   
Rode the Sub all season - loved it. Its so light.

Ordered the new one for next year, didnt know its going to be even lighter....and its white. Cant wait!
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-06-2008, 1:42 PM Reply   
They are awesome 'cause you can do raleys on them!
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-06-2008, 9:11 PM Reply   
the new sub six is not lighter. I don't know if it's variance between boards, but the 09 i weighed in our shop weighed more than an 08
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-07-2008, 3:50 AM Reply   
Wow - thats news. I wonder if its just production differences from some boards vs. others.
Old     (premier135rider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-07-2008, 5:12 AM Reply   
They beefed it up a little in the nose and tail where it had traditionally broken in last years....but usually early production is heavier until the dial everything in, i hadn't heard anything about it being lighter though...
Old     (perfski)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-07-2008, 5:17 AM Reply   
Hey Zach....here is the facts as I know them.

The core materials used in the Sub 6 / Marek are much lighter PVC Cores and much more difficult to work with to make as they have to be CNC'd one at a time. But when laid up, they will make the board torsionally stiffer (twisting flex) which translates to more speed to the wake. This also allows them to still have "flex" tip to tail" on boards. Ronix Dark Core is similar materials and give the same enhanced performance and acceleration. Their R & D team that has ridden the boards also has said they are extremely durable also. Slingshot uses this same material combined with wood in their cores, and I'm pretty confident Company will also. As for LF...They are saying they are using the PVC core in them with a multilayered stringer system and 2 pack inserts to cut down on the weight.

So back to your original question...SPEED to the wake and away from the wake....enhanced energy off the wake from faster rebound characteristic of the core and enhanced durability (from what I hear).

As for the pros riding them / not riding them. The reality here is, that even for athletes getting "flowed product"...flowing these more expensive boards to get beat up on rails is hard on the wallet. You will see alot of pro's freeriding with these...but on rails...boards still get broken and it hits the wallets of comapanies hard...so look for more standard core boards on rails. Thats my take as I know it.

Good luck with your search...if you get to Orlando and want to demo some...we currently have Mareks, Slingshot, and hope to have others in the coming season.

Bill @ Performance.
www.perfski.com

(Message edited by perfski on November 07, 2008)