Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-31-2008, 3:09 PM Reply   
There's some really awesome HDR stuff in the link...pretty self explanatory.

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/03/10/35-fantastic-hdr-pictures/
Old     (joshturner)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-31-2008, 5:50 PM Reply   
damn thats awesome. every time i try one they never turn out that well. i dont know why but photoshop CS3 just doesnt render it that well for mine. maybe there is way more to it than i thought.

does anyone have any good tips on getting it down.
perhaps walt you have something??
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-31-2008, 6:31 PM Reply   
They're beautiful but I like Walt's stuff better then those as his are as extreme as I like to see. Those are more "art" then images to me and just don't look real in any way/shape/form.

Did you see the one with the sunk boat? Walt, get to work you can do that to yours!

Different stokes but a perfectly shot image with great light is hard to beat with photoshop (just IMHO obviously)

Josh I doubt those were done "1 click" with merge to HDR!
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-31-2008, 7:08 PM Reply   
Thanks Rich.

Joshua,

The cartoon look actually comes from the tone mapping part of the process. A straight HDR won't have that effect. If I'm doing a straight HDR I prefer CS2 but if I'm going to tone map I use Photomatrix then take it back to CS2 to finish it off. I might be wrong but I don't think you can tone map in photoshop without adding a plug in. If it's there I haven't seen it.

IMO the trick to photomatrix is resisting the temptation to take it to far. The less you use the light smoothing the more halo's you will see around objects. The halo's and noise are the two biggest obstacles while tone mapping IMO.

If you tell me what you don't like about your HDR shots I might be able to help. A sample image would be helpful.
Old     (joshturner)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-01-2008, 9:32 AM Reply   
thanks walt. i will have to see if i can track down a copy of that photomatrix.

also. what process do you use for raw conversion. i have read that using camera raw to change exposure and then savign as a .png works but i havent had much success. what formats do you save your raw as?
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-01-2008, 11:34 AM Reply   
I don't convert the raw file. Just drop and drag if it's a single or select if it's more.

I don't do single file HDR's in PS though.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-01-2008, 5:47 PM Reply   
nice find