Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-10-2010, 9:18 PM Reply   
I have a 2006 Sanger V215 and when turning around while towing someone I occasionally temporarily lose steering. I ride in the Sacramento river and the Delta so my turns have to be somewhat tight. It seems like the more weight I have in the boat the worse it gets. I normally just run the stock 1000lbs and an extra 300lbs of lead in the back. Could it be the prop cavitating? I have the stock prop which is an acme 525 3 blade.

Thanks for the help!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-10-2010, 9:25 PM Reply   
Chine locking? How does the steering feel when its out of the water on the trailer?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-10-2010, 9:27 PM Reply   
I may have to come up and feel it for myself!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-10-2010, 9:45 PM Reply   
First off, if you've got 4000# in there you want the 911 prop. But that is totally unrelated.
I've never heard of a 215 chine locking but all things are possible with that much weight I guess. For sure it won't be the prop cavitating unless you are also feeling a lot of vibration while underway and the prop is badly bent.
I'd try Sparky's idea of checking while on the trailer. Also hold the rudder and turn the wheel to see if the mechanism is slipping somewhere, but I don't know how it would do that.
Are you taking it out of gear when it loses steering?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-10-2010, 10:02 PM Reply   
Thats 1300 lbs, Art..... missed a 0 there.

How fast are you going when this happens? Do you hear the engine RPMs change at all? What is the attitude of the boat when it's happening (leaning right or left)?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-10-2010, 11:37 PM Reply   
I need to eat more carrots.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-11-2010, 6:24 AM Reply   
I've only noticed it while pulling a rider and we all ride about 22mph. I think It happens more while making a sharp left turn. The boat starts the turn just fin but about half way through it will suddenly rock back to the right a little and loose traction in the turn. If i slow down it will catch again and complete the turn. I don't notice the boat coming out of gear and I have never looked down at the RPM's while this was happening but I don't hear the motor reving.

While we are on the prop thing I plan on adding some extra sacs to get about 2500lbs total in the boat. Acme suggested the 911 which is another 3 blade. I thought 4 blades were better for wakeboarding?

(Message edited by ryanw209 on February 11, 2010)
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-11-2010, 6:55 AM Reply   
The 911 is the prop for you boat. Your prop is ventillating. Air is being sucked in around the prop. Changing the prop may help, but you may have a nick or wave in the hull or running gear that allows the air around the prop. A trim tab over the prop area sometimes helps, as well.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-11-2010, 9:32 AM Reply   
This Saturday works for me!
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-11-2010, 9:33 AM Reply   
Yea, sounds like cavitation to me too. The prop change may make it better. Or moving the weight around a bit may make it better..... try moving the lead to the middle or front of the boat?
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-11-2010, 9:44 AM Reply   
I have that happen to me and I sort of like it. Except it never happens while towing a rider but yes, during a sharp but slight turn (> ~15 degrees) left or right between 25-30 mph (probably would do so at higher speeds too but no experience with that).

It's like my rudder breaks free, and the steering wheel will turn in short arcs CW or CCW without the rudder grabbing. The boat kind of skims on its own for a brief moment before the rudder grabs real solid.

When driving the lake (by short straight courses with small sharp turns every so often), I try and make it happen every time. Again, I find it kind of cool. I never paused to consider whether this was good or bad.

What does anyone think, should I stop this?

Again, it takes a sharp crank on the steering wheel. When towing a rider, I never turn the wheel that sharply.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-11-2010, 9:45 AM Reply   
I'll agree with Karl and Bill on the cavitation now that you say the boat rocks back and catches again when you slow. I've just never heard of a 215 doing that. Try Bill K's suggestion and put the lead further up. That will lengthen the wake a little also.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-11-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
Oh, and turning the other direction might eliminate it also.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-11-2010, 9:51 AM Reply   
Ryan, if it's cavitation from running a lot of weight through a tight turn (which it sounds to me like it may be)... try backing off the throttle at the start of your turn (just before the boat would otherwise begin to feel unresponsive), then giving full throttle through the last half of the turn. Most boats will do this when you put a lot of weight in 'em... Once you get used to throttling off and on, it will turn on a dime. Hope this helps.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-11-2010, 10:25 AM Reply   
Thats not really alot of weight though for that boat. It shouldnt be doing this. Something else is going on. Like Art said if it was cavitation wouldnt there be alot of vibration? No 215 Ive ridden has done this either. Im serious about coming up and taking a look at it also. This means I would have to ride in/behind it though too for proper evaluation.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-11-2010, 5:39 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help guys! I'll get a new prop and see if that helps. Is everyone else running the 911 in their Sanger 215's or is there something else to run. It doesn't seem like the 911 is much different from the stock prop.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-11-2010, 5:51 PM Reply   
The 911 is a BIG difference from what you have. You could run the 635, I believe is the number, this is the one in the middle of yours and the 911. Honestly I doubt its going to cure the issue but it sounds like you're wanting to upgrade anyway. Regarding your question about 3 verses 4 blade, not a noticable difference with the advent of CNC machining. Not worth the extra $ IMHO.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-11-2010, 7:32 PM Reply   
@Jonathan: cavitation is kinda like your tires breakin loose as you going into a corner... can feel like that understeer effect too.

I know I had cavitation issues in my 205 with the stock 3 blade prop & like 800 lbs of weight in it. I put a 4 blade OJ SS prop on it & had zero cavitation with the same load. The new 3 blade CNC props are sweet too..... like getting new tires on a sports car.

Changing your driving habits like Cal mentions could do it too.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-12-2010, 10:03 AM Reply   
"You could run the 635". I had the number wrong, its the 653, but if you regularly run 2k or more, the 911 is it.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-12-2010, 10:09 AM Reply   
I run the 911 on my V215. I love it. At times I run allot of weight other times I dont. It comes out of the hole like a rocket.
Old     (lt_sanger230)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-12-2010, 10:11 AM Reply   
I have a V230 and had the 525 prop and with all the weight in the boat the boat was sluggish and never topped out rpm then i switched to the 911 which gave it a day & night difference so i would definatly suggest switching props!!!!
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-12-2010, 11:38 AM Reply   
Check the bracket back by the rudder. That holds the cable. Will slip some times in turns and slip back when going straight. Sounds stupid but ran in to it 2 or 3 times.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-12-2010, 4:29 PM Reply   
Thanks again everyone. Looks like Acme 911 here I come.

Ken- I'll check it out this weekend if I have time.