Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2008

Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-25-2008, 6:20 PM Reply   
We pulled our boat out of the caves for the beginning of the spring season, and find that it is covered in black mold. After scrubbing for about 4 hours, we got most of the easy surface stuff off, but there are still spots and splotches where the mold seems to have stained the vinyl on the interior. I threw a few pictures below, so you would know what I mean. I checked some old threads here, and came up with some cleaners to try...

So far, we have tried:
- Tilex Mold & Mildew Remover & Mr. Clean Erasers
- Soft Scrub & a Bristle brush
- Ammonia and Soapy Water and Mr. Clean Erasers
- Fantastik

Any ideas on how to get this of my boat? It makes me sick to have my perfect interior stained with this crap.

Thanks in advance

G

Upload
Upload
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-25-2008, 6:30 PM Reply   
Put them in the sun for a few hours, it should fade away.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-25-2008, 7:40 PM Reply   
I tried some of the new clorox bleach free kitchen cleaner and it really made a difference on my 9 year old seats. This stuff has been recommended on other sites the only thing else I done was put some tide in a bucket and filled it up with hot water. I used a Magic Eraser as my washing sponge.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-25-2008, 7:55 PM Reply   
The sun will take care of it. 8 hours catchin' rays can fix a lot of things. Be certain not to use anything that is hard on your vinyl or can dry it out.
Old     (foilboy)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-26-2008, 4:47 AM Reply   
Garret,
That really sucks man. Which caves did you store your boat in. I was going to store mine in the caves but decided against it. The caves I looked at were "dehumidified" so mold was not suppose to be an issue. Just wondering for next year.
thanks
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-26-2008, 5:38 AM Reply   
X-14
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-26-2008, 6:02 AM Reply   
No no no on the Clorox! It will eat the vinyl material alive!

Mild soap, warm water, and Magic eraser followed by 303 to protect and you'll be fine.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-26-2008, 6:40 AM Reply   
Cliff, I don't think mild soap will take care of those stains, look at what he already used. I had the same problem last year with my boat. I used Starbrite mold and mildew remover, as well as magic eraser's, scrub brushes, and a lot of elbow grease. You should be able to find Starbrite at Walmart or check with your local boat dealer. Just make sure you rinse it completely off your vinyl, and add some sort of protectant.

I felt the same way your feeling, just sick to your stomach. Don't worry you will get it cleaned up, and she'll be as good as new.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-26-2008, 12:03 PM Reply   
phase 1: pull boat out into the sun.

phase 3: profit
Old     (turbonine)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-26-2008, 3:50 PM Reply   
Give the sun a try first. Plus it doesn't cost much.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-26-2008, 4:07 PM Reply   
UV rays will destroy that stuff. Then follow up with a good cleaning and it will be good as new.
Old     (dmak)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-27-2008, 12:56 AM Reply   
i use a scrub brush and simple green and it works perfect!
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-27-2008, 7:09 AM Reply   
Westley's Bleach White, available at Walmart or any Auto-Parts store, has worked on my previous boat's interior. It cleans off most anything. I just wet the part to be cleaned, sprayed it on, scrubbed with a brush and rinsed. I used this with great results for well over ten years and never had a problem with it hurting the interior. That said, I would test a spot before "getting happy with it" just to be safe. I use this stuff to clean all kinds of things. It makes a plastic cooler look like new again. I don't know how much bleach it contains, but it doesn't bleach the color out of clothes like Clorox would. Oh, it is great for its intended use as well. It makes your tires look great, whether they have white letters or not.

Jman