Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old    erics            07-30-2004, 2:36 PM Reply   
I'm looking for opinions on these two boats. Which one has a better wake, drives nicer, is more roomy, has better storage, etc. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric
Old     (dgarland0)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-30-2004, 7:36 PM Reply   
first off I have a Cal-Air, but looked at Moomba's and Calabria's as my final decision. I like the Moomba product, but the Pro V is an unbeleivable boat and ride. Storage is second to none unbelievable ballast setup, and great craftsmanship. You will like both boats, but my opinion the Pro V will be in your family for many years. Good decision to have though!!!!

DG
Old    jbf            07-30-2004, 11:47 PM Reply   
the space in a moomba XLV is enormous.The wake is also very! good.we had the rear ballast full and 220kg of lead up front plus 11 people.with that much wieght the wakeplate did the job very well.
to my surprice we noticed the wake to curl/roll over at speeds below 22 if the wakeplate wasn,t set at 3/4up.handling was a bitch
and it felt with the 330hp it was a little underpowered.overall a nice boat for the money but not my personal choice.I,m gonna testdrive a malibu 23LSV this week.
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-31-2004, 2:46 PM Reply   
Pro V hands down. The Calabria drives very well for a big V drive. Tons of storage and best ballast system. Plus very roomy. I have a big family and we take friends, everyone loves the boat and are suprised how much room there is. Skiers Choice make a great boat and Rick Tinker stands behind his product, but there is no comparing a entry level boat to the Calabria.
Old    tombugg            08-02-2004, 1:02 PM Reply   
Well said sydwayz,
I agree that both are great boats. The people at Skiers Choice are awesome. However, we are extremely happy with our Pro-V.

Tom Bugg
The AWA
http://www.azwakeboardassoc.com
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-02-2004, 2:18 PM Reply   
jbf,

I think just about any boat with a gross weight of around 7200 lbs. or more would be a bit underpowered with 330 hp and the stock prop. I'm also not surprised about the wake curl. The more weight you add, the faster you have to go. It would do the same thing in just about any boat.

I'd probably drop the prop pitch down a bit if I were going to run like that regularly. It would be nice if they offered a big block in the XLV though.
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-02-2004, 7:40 PM Reply   
"Tons of storage and best ballast system. Plus very roomy."

While the Cal-Air does fill and empty fast, 700 pounds just doesn't get the job done. You end up having to go way-heavy on the lead, or else you're back to pmumps and sacks, just like every wakeboarder with an I/O or old-school boat. Though it takes longer, I believe the the Supra and Moomba ballast systems are actually the best out there right now, as they're some of the only ones available (gravity games sacks) that only require you to flip a switch to have a world class wake. THAT, in my opinion, is the best ballast system available. If Calabria could load up 1500-2000# of ballast using the quick-fill/quick-drain under-the-floor system, THEN they truly would have the undisputed best ballast. I think that the XLV fits the quote above at least as well as, if not better than, the Pro-V.