Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-27-2010, 6:48 PM Reply   
Has anyone looked at which tricks cause the most injuries and what the main factors are in each?

I tore an ACL on a Tantrum, probably too extended when landed.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-27-2010, 7:05 PM Reply   
Two Concussions on Raley's
One concussion on a half cab roll
One Concussion on a Frontside 3.

Wakeskate Injuries;
Torn ACL on a Wake to Wake 3
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-27-2010, 7:14 PM Reply   
Broken foot on raley :-(
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-27-2010, 8:05 PM Reply   
2 mild concussions from 360s. One hs fs one hs bs.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-27-2010, 9:28 PM Reply   
Mild concussion on a TS FS 180.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-27-2010, 9:44 PM Reply   
concussion on HS BS 360
mild concussion HS BS 180
separated rib HS FS 360
knee damage (cartilage) HS raley
Old     (fgcuwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-28-2010, 6:34 AM Reply   
torn acl on whirly...shortened the rope to 75 and threw it a lil too hard and came down super hard
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-28-2010, 6:36 AM Reply   
Concussion - Hs Fs 3 (with a grab I held wayyy to long)
Concussion - Hs Bs 1
Who knows how much head damage I've caused with my backroll attempts

Finally...

Torn Acl on Ts Frontroll, which im currently recovering from
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-28-2010, 7:37 AM Reply   
Me:
ACL - Tail Glide

My buddy Alex:
ACL - Dum Dum
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-28-2010, 7:47 AM Reply   
ts 540
knee to the chin 26 stiches later and 4 broken teeth.

wrapped kgb
broken ankle

bs 360
broken wrist

TUBING!!! BROKEN EVERYTHING
Old     (fleming)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-28-2010, 7:50 AM Reply   
ACL/MCL tear - Whirlybird - cut a bit too hard and landed fully extended
Broken Ankle - Tootsie Roll - under rotated the roll, landed on hard on my toes
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-28-2010, 7:52 AM Reply   
Tantrum - ACL Landed too extended in the flats

Tantrum - ACL 2nd time, same reason.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-28-2010, 8:02 AM Reply   
Raley - Torn MCL and meniscus

HS 3 - Busted ear drum

TS Jump - Broken ribs

Tantrum - Tons of sprained ankles
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-28-2010, 8:55 AM Reply   
What a happy thread!!

Broken Ankle - HS Front
Dislocated shoulder - HS Nose 3
Separated rib - TS 5

After all these years to think that I have not been seriously concussed or really badly hurt I feel fortunate (as I feverishly knock on wood).
Old                01-28-2010, 8:57 AM Reply   
Robot, I don't know if you can break it out trick-by-trick. I don't think particular tricks have a greater chance for particular injuries. I think it is part rider mistake and part luck. All of my major injuries were on tricks I do regularly.

Indy Tantrum: ACL (Right)

Toe-five: MCL (Left)

Toe-Seven: Fractured shoulder (on my free hand. Not the one attached to the handle.)

On an interesting note, the only times I have hurt my knees was when my stance was greater than 26. Through trial and error I have found that my ideal stance is 24-25.

The broken shoulder was a fluke.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-28-2010, 10:43 AM Reply   
Raley (off axis, tried to force the landing, and came down hard on my left leg): I had the Unhappy Triad + 2 which is a torn acl, pcl, mcl + meniscus and patella tendon

TS FS 180 (awkard landing in general): Broke three metatarsals in my right foot
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-28-2010, 10:55 AM Reply   
Oh man, I didn't know we were counting busted ear drums. I've had around 4 of those on everything.
Old     (wakebdr10)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-28-2010, 11:07 AM Reply   
Torn bycep from wrapped 3
broken ankle from HS 1
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-28-2010, 11:14 AM Reply   
http://www.live2kite.com/capix-wake-cap-p-175.html = safe eardrums.

I rode with that model of helmet all last year. Had no problems adjusting to riding with a helmet. I would highly recommend this model of helmet because of the ear protection.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-28-2010, 11:16 AM Reply   
Raley - Concussion X's 2
Hoochie - Broken Ankle
Indy Tanny to B - Concussion
Nose Crow Mobe - Dislocated Shoulder
Jibbing - 18 Stitches Left Leg
Kicker BS 7 - Concussion
Jibbing a Gap - 2 broken fingers right hand (pinky & middle)
Dub BS 7 - Separated 2 Ribs
Jibbing in 1 foot of water - Broken Collar Bone (right)

Man I have a bunch more but they are not as serious things like jammed fingers, High ankle sprains, blow ear drums, etc. I got two more concussions too for a total of 6. Unfortunately getting smack around from time to time and the wakeboarding winning is sort of the nature of the beast.

Remember just because it hurt(s), doesn’t mean it should scare you. Try and Try again! Eventually you ride away!
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-28-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
Tootsie roll- Ruptured Ear Drum (scariest because I went deaf for 10 minutes)
Pete rose- torn medial meniscus on Right
Nuclear glide (kicker)- torn medial meniscus on left
Method Scarecrow (LOL)- dislocated rib (most acutely painful out of all injuries so far)
FS Shovit to split- grade 2 ankle sprain (2nd most painful and last time wakeskating)
Roof top rail transfer back lip to back lip- kidney and spleen hematoma
Indy Glide- concussion
Batwing- PARTIAL rotator cuff tear (thank God)

(Message edited by lfxstar on January 28, 2010)
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-28-2010, 11:48 AM Reply   
WOW these are good, I think Andy leads the head trauma list. The 26 stitches and 4 teeth sounds nasty too!!
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-28-2010, 11:54 AM Reply   
"On an interesting note, the only times I have hurt my knees was when my stance was greater than 26. Through trial and error I have found that my ideal stance is 24-25."

This is a good point. My knee injuries were when I was riding larger boards (141 and 142) when I normally ride a 136 or 138. I love the extra pop on the bigger boards but at 5'7, a 140 really should be my max length because of my knee problems. I know I know the landings are softer on big boards, but that isn't the issue. Because the stance is a little to wide for what I really should be riding at height wise, the wrong kind of fall really can do the trick. When I tore my left medial meniscus off the kicker, I was on a 142 and I cut as hard as I could from as far as I could to just make the kicker but accidently landed FLAT. My left knee buckled and I knew the damage was done immediately. This was also the first time I was riding a flex board which I think had 90% to do with the injury. Instead of a normal board landing flat where the nose and tail are not going to flex and flatten to the contour of the water, the flex board did just that making the impact that much more intensified. I will never do any sort of big glide or spin off of a kicker again with a raley edge on a flex board again, EVER. I have landed exactly like this probably 20 times on normal boards and never had I had that sensation before with the board hitting the water how it did. It was like slow motion coming down thinking "oh sh*t here comes a really flat landing, my knees are going to hate me tomorrow" except when I hit, I didn't move lol. On normal boards, I generally ride away from those flat landings or get pulled over the front but not this time.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-28-2010, 12:13 PM Reply   
Wakemikey, haha he is leading FOR SURE with the head traumas. I just went to add another concussion but it was past the 10 minute posting rule. The day I learned Raleys, which was at OWC in 02 I think, I came home with a raley in my bag and a nice concussion. I remember the instructor telling me "JUST KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE TOWER, NOTHING ELSE, DO NOT MOVE YOUR EYES FROM THE TOWER". So the first couple of tries, I edged in and when I hit the wake tried to look at the tower but it just wasn't working. I was doing those backrollish falls people take when learning raleys one after another. So finally I said to myself "Ok Kyle, do not take your eyes off the tower, even when you are edging, just dont take your eyes off the tower, you dont need to look at the wake, it isn't going to move" and i did just that. I took a full raley edge, staring directly at the tower, hit the wake and what do you know, I am in a perfect laid out raley, and thats how i landed, in a perfect laid out raley LOL. The rest of the story is hearsay from my dad who was in the boat. He comes back around, im all dazed but stoked and goes, "ok kyle, do the same thing except when you feel your legs all the way out, try to break the rope over your knee like you would break a board". So I come in again, flying like a bat out of hell, staring at the tower, lay out a perfect raley, break the board over my knee and boom, stuck it that try. Took 5 tries to hit my first raley and I don't believe I've fallen on one since. My dad said I was really hungry and made him take me to the burger king to celebrate. I'm pretty sure my dad said the guy had an australian accent so it must have been Glenn Fletcher. We didn't goto the hospital because I wasn't throwing up or anything but I was definitely loopy for a couple of days. To this day whenever I teach a kid how to do a raley, I say the same exact thing, "stare at the tower the whole time, even when you are cutting and when you feel your legs are out, try to break a board on your knee with the rope" and it works every time. I have a feeling Glenn told me to do that before the whole just stare at the tower thing, but i obviously didnt do it hahahaha.

*edit* i just comfirmed it was in 02 because I was riding the 02 subjekt 132. Damn that was an awesome board.

(Message edited by lfxstar on January 28, 2010)
Old     (l_b)      Join Date: Aug 2009       01-28-2010, 2:38 PM Reply   
Can you avoid concussions completely by wearing a helmet? Have any of y'all gotten one while wearing a helmet?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-28-2010, 2:46 PM Reply   
Well I dont want to open a can of worms here, but 4 of my 6 concussions I had a helmet on.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-28-2010, 3:30 PM Reply   
yeah 1 out of 2 i was wearing one.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-28-2010, 6:07 PM Reply   
I've bashed my face hard enough both eyelids were flipped over and face was all tingly. I know I would have been concussed without the helmet. I think I have a vid of it on youtube....I'll try to find the link. Not saying the helmet is perfect but it could have been worse.
Old     (jrich)      Join Date: Oct 2009       01-28-2010, 6:24 PM Reply   
torn acl on a tantrum back in 07. besides a few hard spills thats ab it for me. Used to race motocross till i broke my neck so I took up wakeboarding thinking it was a painless sport......ha ha! yea right!!!
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-28-2010, 7:33 PM Reply   
Fractured growthplate in right knee 4 times all on heelside nosegrab 180 into the flats, every time i didnt land on my edge and fell back pretty much snapping my knee. This year went back to bone and joint therapy and turned out the fractured growthplates gave me a floating kneecap.
Old     (lesstalkmoreride)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-29-2010, 7:20 AM Reply   
Hello all, I am sorry to hear about the injuries. Kinda supprising what a little water can do to you...I know I do this just about everytime this topic comes up, but I reaaaaally want to amass as much data as possible for a legitament medical study. Im in my second semester of med. school and the more I am learning about anatomy and physiology, the more I am intriqued by injuries related to my favorite activity....other than studying...

Heres the same info again, please help us out! If you have already, thank you very much, we have gotten some good information. Shred On.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dHZiV1RLbUNIMU1zeHFJTXFjeG9Wamc6M A

"So I have been talking with an Orthopedic Physician out of Chattanooga and he is going to be working on an article examining Wakeboarding-Related injuries.

With my interest in both medicine and boardsports, I feel a natural draw to this topic and will be assisting him in collecting information and organizing a real medical article to be published in a medical journal.

We need people who have been injured in the past (directly from wakeboarding) that would be willing to share their story so that we can study the common mechanism of injuries and shed light into what specifically can make our beloved sport so dangerous.

This is really cool, as there have been very few medical/scientific explorations of question of 'why/how' injuries such as ligament tears / sprains / fractures occur during wakeboarding.

Specifically, if you have ever had such a major injury (faceplants/diggers dont really count...), this would be a great chance to use the unfortunate experience to help grow the understanding of such injuries from a medical perspective, and hopefully lead to better preventative measures....who wouldnt want that.

I would be happy to share more information upon request. Please contact me if you have ever had such an injury from wakeboarding or if you know someone who has. Basically, we have a questionaire you can fill it out and it would help us, science, wakeboarding, and life in general....

Spread the word, this could open the door for better health and longer sets..."

-Justin Jenkins, OMS-I
LMU-DCOM
Justin.Jenkins@lmunet.edu
(865) 237-3362
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-29-2010, 8:10 AM Reply   
here's the vid of when my face got bashed..... no concussion, quite the headache though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA5oBHIrtow

edit: I think it's around the :50 second mark

(Message edited by beretta5spd on January 29, 2010)
Old                01-29-2010, 8:33 AM Reply   
Done.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-29-2010, 9:05 AM Reply   
this led to a really bad pulled muscle in my dads shoulder. it took like 2 months to heel.
so lets go with a grabbed ollie to pulled muscle! haha

Upload
i couldnt help myself. haha
Old     (kylek306)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-29-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
Last season tore a rotator cuff on a switch nose 3.
Besides that a few tweaked tendons in the knees and one concussion. Concussion was learning to blind tricks. Backward moustrap can get nasty. Not too many injuries really. (knocking on wood)
Old     (bbsxkills)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-29-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
mild concussion on a toe 7 and many an ankle tweak on tootsie rolls.
Old     (bcoutsfly)      Join Date: Aug 2009       01-29-2010, 12:43 PM Reply   
Backroll = Broken Tibia.

Never thought a simple roll would break my leg.
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-29-2010, 2:40 PM Reply   
Tantrum - partially torn LCL, cracked fibula
Tantrum - bruised tibia

DONE WITH TANTRUMS! The straight leg landings are killer.
Old     (swagg)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-29-2010, 8:02 PM Reply   
popped my right shoulder out twice when i was learning to back roll
bruised my left eye socket learning to raley
just after learning my ts back roll i started to get tired and when i hit the water i scorpioned so hard i put a dent in the back of my helmet from my board hitting it.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-29-2010, 9:18 PM Reply   
Rotator Cuff - Toeside 3 - was working on grabbing and landing wrapped, fell back on my arm while still holding the handle behind my back, damage was minor, rehab and no surgery

ACL, Meniscus - Roll to Revert - on a spare board and couldn't stance out all the way (08LF boots on an 06LF board) I'm tall, so narrow stance caused me to come down straight legged and POP...

Both routine tricks, only takes one time to mess yourself up.
Old     (tcaz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-29-2010, 11:10 PM Reply   
Aftermath of TS360 to arm caught in handle. The bruise spread all the way down to my wrist.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/TCaz33a/004.jpg
Old     (jimmy_z)      Join Date: Jun 2009       01-30-2010, 12:43 AM Reply   
Beer got stuck in the cupholder.

Roll to revert on my toeside.

Pulled a left forearm muscle.

Tore my Koozie.

Threw a tantrum!!!!!

It was a bad day.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       01-30-2010, 5:20 AM Reply   
concussion and winded badly on raley attempt
winded badly on toe back to revert
countless bad falls trying hs back 3's
twinged inner knee tendon on hs roll-to-revert (lucky)
and best of all, scarecrow attempt, butt check thrown forward, came outta my boots, split second doing a boardless raley about 2 feet off the water and then followed by a concussion

(Message edited by IrishRider92 on January 30, 2010)
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-30-2010, 7:11 AM Reply   
Tore a lower abdominal muscle/groin on a backroll. Took 6 months to heal. Now I stretch like crazy before riding.
Old     (jps120)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-16-2015, 2:30 PM Reply   
this has got to be the worst thread ever....really gets you jacked up
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       09-16-2015, 3:26 PM Reply   
That was a really gnarly read but I'll contribute haha

Lost a tooth and 8 stitches in the lip - Back edge on a 3. Ejected and board hit my face

Torn MCL - Hoochie glide off a kicker

R hip labral tear - Krypt to toe edge
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-16-2015, 4:26 PM Reply   
Couple of sprained ankles. One attempting a switch backroll (cable) and the other a HS540 (boat).
Jammed knee from a funky straight legged landing off a kicker.

Kind of an old thread.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-16-2015, 8:33 PM Reply   
5 year old thread nice!

Ill just throw this out there tho, tootsies and dum dums are lethal for ankles. Not the hardest trick but if you mess it up, its so easy to wreck your ankles.
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-17-2015, 7:50 PM Reply   
Learning backrolls had somewhat been my demise! Severe concussion, lost memory for 4 days. Broke 3 ribs. And recently (even though I can do them fairly easily now, just rushed one for no good reason) tore my meniscus and ruptured my joint capsule in my left knee by dislocating it. I've also separated my lower C4 and C3 Vertebrae doing a HS Indy FS 180 to the flats, caught a gnarly back edge. Also put a tooth through my lower lip trying a raley. Haha...I wonder why I still do this! Oh yeah...BECAUSE ITS FREAKING AWESOME!!!! Going to get my G23 this winter so I'll be able to hurt myself even more!! (knock on wood)
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-17-2015, 8:25 PM Reply   
Regular footed rider

Right ACL on regular roll to revert
partial tear right rotator cuff TSFS 360 (landed wrapped and fell back without letting go)

Partial tear left pec.... this one is a bit embarrassing, was trying to learn to nollie start at the cable, got a bit too extended and tail gazed, threw my right hand off to balance myself out and tried to bring it down one handed (left), just barely dug the nose and thought I could pull it out. The upward angle of the cable got the better of me. When it tore it sounded like velcro being torn apart.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-18-2015, 8:29 PM Reply   
cab roll - torn acl, mcl, meniscus left knee
double cab roll - broken fibia, right leg
cab 3 -meniscus, right knee
pete rose - knock out, bad concussion to the point of throwing up the next day
hit head on rail (with helmet) - knockout, woke up inside TSR, felt fine, someone picked me up and drove me home
had 2 or 3 more concussions, but they involved 3 or 4 back edges in one set