Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (wakechic82)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-27-2009, 7:28 PM Reply   
So, mid September we are going out to Lake Powell with another couple for a camping trip. We have never been out there before (the other couple has and they were on a houseboat) and don't really know what to expect. Any advice from anyone? What campsite is the best one to stay at? We are coming from the Phoenix area. What are the floating restrooms like? Can you camp close to one? Any advice?
Old     (wswb4lfe)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-27-2009, 7:34 PM Reply   
Ok, Powell is in my opinion the greatest lake ever. i go a bunch and the best spot to stay in is called gunsight bay. If you want a floating bathroom(fun to dockstart from, and smell terrible)then stay at warm creek bay. powell will give you flat water aroun that time as well.
Old     (liquid_force_girl)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-27-2009, 7:35 PM Reply   
You are going to have an awesome experience!!! I would do it all over again. We didnt camp so i cant help you there, but the lake is really clean and so beautiful. The floating restrooms were spotless, being a girl with all guys going i was kind of nervous and not expecting much at all, but it was no problem at all! I hope you have a wonderful time, it so beautiful there!
Old     (wakechic82)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-27-2009, 7:41 PM Reply   
Ok, so maybe I won't camp close to a floating bathroom. What campsite would you recommend coming from Phoenix?

Patch, where is gunsight bay? Is there a campground there or did you beach it?
Old     (gumtree)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-27-2009, 7:43 PM Reply   
You'll love it!! If you can find a flat spot on the red rock it is nice because you don't have to worry so much about getting sand inside, take a cement drill bit to drill holes in the rock for your tent stakes. Plan on nice warm days, possibly cold nights depending on the weather, sometimes wind and sometimes rain, you really have to be ready for everything. Make sure you can anchor your boat well, or go exploring a little and find a hidden cove where you're protected from the main channel. Make sure you're ready for butter water too, that is the best time for Powell because most people are tied up with school!
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-27-2009, 7:45 PM Reply   
The good is posted above, the bad would be monsoons so take something to tie all your stuff down with and cover the stuff you want to stay dry. I would also make sure you don't set up camp at the base of a cliff or where it's obvious water has ran down the slope into the lake. When it comes, it comes fast. You should also be prepared to share your camp with mice/rodents. If your boat is tied to the shore, make sure the rope has a pie tin on it or the rope is in the water. Those little bastards love to get in boats. To be green, make sure you take biodegradeable soap and shampoo.

Be prepared for the most stars you've ever seen at night. We camp in Last Chance Bay, far away from the Page lights.

We go the first week in October every year cept we're in a HB.

You will have fun. If the water is rough, just go around a corner and it will be glass.
Old     (gumtree)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-27-2009, 7:46 PM Reply   
For Gunsight you'll put in at Antelope Point or Wahweap, there aren't any campgrounds if you leave the major marina areas. You'll want to go far enough up the lake that you're away from those high traffic areas. Look at any map of Lake Powell and you'll see gunsight bay on the Wahweap end of the lake, I think it's just before Padre Bay, or it's in Padre Bay, I don't have a map right in front of me.
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-27-2009, 7:53 PM Reply   
Coming from Phoenix you'll want to head to Flagstaff and then to Page. Go over the dam in page and hang a right a short distance, perhaps a mile, after the dam. Go through the gate and follow the signs. The lake will be on your right.

The water is up right now so you can zoom right across by Castle Rock instead of going around through Antalope Point Marina.

You can look-up maps of the lake on the net or get a printed one at the supply/gift shop on the marina dock. When you launch in Wahweep, turn the boat around and hang a right, it's where all the houseboats are moored in slips. They sell ice there too.

(Message edited by wstr01 on August 27, 2009)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-27-2009, 8:07 PM Reply   
"monsoon" winds should not be too much of a trouble, they die down around septemberish, but as said be prepared for sure anyway. just last week we (i live in Page AZ) had a nasty wind that got up to 40mph or so. lots of emergency calls on the lake within that time. a lake can become far more dangerous than some imagine at times like these. hunker down and wait it out is the best thing to do in crazy weather. they are always short.

Gun sight is great, but really anywhere is too. you are all gona have a blast of fun

if you watch the latest footage of the brostock
http://wakeworld.com/Galleries/GetImage.asp?GalleryID=560&ImageID=201
it took place in the northern end of warm creek. i would suggest going at Least this far up lake up into warm creek bay. gunsight is in the next bay up.

any other questions?
Old     (wakechic82)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-28-2009, 3:37 PM Reply   
So for showers though, we would have to go to a campsite, or i guess the lake? Not trying to be prissy, but during the course of 3 days, I'm probably going to want to shower. Do you think we can just sneak into the campsites to take showers or is that not allowed?

If we don't stay in a campsite, can we still build fires where we camp?

I appreciate all the advice though. We will be sure to keep an eye out for the weather. Sounds pretty crazy.
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-28-2009, 5:21 PM Reply   
Only three days????

Don't be a priss. It's a huge bathtub. The water we shower with on the HB is out of the lake so it's the same as just jumping in, soaping up and rinsing off.

Fire away. Just clean up when you're done.
Old     (bluesman)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-28-2009, 6:34 PM Reply   
Make sure your bilge is bone dry. You have to have an inspection before you launch. Bilge water is the first thing they look for.

And bring an insane amount of rope. You'll need to tie everything when the wind blows.

Other than that it's the best lake we've ever been to.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-29-2009, 5:46 AM Reply   
I wouldn't recommend drilling holes into anything at Lake Powell. I'm sure you could receive a significant fine if caught destroying any part of this Federally protected area. The only thing you should leave behind is your footprints. There are several sandy beach areas on the South end of Lake Powell. If you want something more isolated, head up to Oak Canyon and camp there. Have Fun!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-29-2009, 6:16 PM Reply   
there are showers at the wahweap camp ground. i have seen signs inside the public restroom at the top of the launch ramp telling people about the showers there, so i doubt there will be any problem using them.

camp fires are fine, just use common sense of course. no huge bonfires that might get out of control, put out the fire completely, etc.

porta potties are a MUST, but because you will be with friends with a houseboat i think that will count. just as long as there is some facility/device for waste for any overnight stays
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-02-2009, 3:27 PM Reply   
I think that to get the real Powell experience you want to go further up the lake. Try Wetherill Canyon. It is the last canyon on the south side of the lake before you get to Dangling Rope Marina. It is fairly protected, is big enough, has lots of camping spots and is close to the Marina to gas up, get extra food, restrooms, etc. We used it in June with the houseboat and then camped there 3 weeks ago.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-02-2009, 8:53 PM Reply   
Wetherill is one of our families favorite spots. Another good one that people don't expect to be good is navajo canyon. Long canyon tons of butter.
Old    shooter_08            09-02-2009, 9:16 PM Reply   
Never been, but have always wanted to go. Is rainbow bridge worth a day trip? Can you get to it by boat and how far is it from Wahweap? How long would it take to drive a housboat to Dangling Rope? I have no concept of how big powell is.

(Message edited by shooter_08 on September 02, 2009)
Old     (domin8)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-03-2009, 3:08 PM Reply   
Dangling rope = mile marker 42-44 (approx)
Maybe 34-35 miles if you go through the cut ?
Houseboat = 6-8 mph x 34 mi = 4.5 hrs ? from Wahweap
Old     (wakechic82)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-03-2009, 7:01 PM Reply   
We don't have a houseboat, we are just camping. From what it sounds like you can't camp unless you are within 200 yards of an approved bathroom. So how does that work? Can we not really camp anywhere?
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-03-2009, 7:57 PM Reply   
Up the Escalante arm is our favorite spot! nice sandy beaches, and not too many boats.

Don't need showers, you're in the water all day!
Bio soap and shampoo are all you need

Agree with the others, lots of line to tie off when things get windy, but quickly dies off ...and more stars in the sky than you have ever seen!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-03-2009, 10:15 PM Reply   
Porta-Potty -- and you can camp anywhere
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-04-2009, 7:02 AM Reply   
For a porta-potty you can spend $50 plus for a self-contained unit or we use a $5 seat on a 5 gallon bucket with double bagged heavy duty bags. It is cheap and effective. And you don't want to get a ticket for not having one. They can stop you on the lake and ticket you if you have camping gear but no "facilities".