Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (cool_dude)      Join Date: May 2004       05-15-2004, 7:02 PM Reply   
Im learning to jump and land and have good control. I'm about to start on tricks. Recently i've been trying to do a one eighty in the air and when i land the board always flies out from under me and i land on my back. Can you help me? And i would like tips on other simple tricks. Thanks alot.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-15-2004, 7:11 PM Reply   
practice them by doing ollie 180's in the flats, this will help with your balance.
Old     (cool_dude)      Join Date: May 2004       05-15-2004, 7:14 PM Reply   
Matt thanks for posting but i can't do an ollie im not even sure how. How would i? Do you have an msn adress so i can just chat it in with you? Help
Old     (west)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-17-2004, 2:46 PM Reply   
to ollie just go out in the flats and you wanna pull up with your front foot and and push up with your back foot. Also start in the middle of the 2 wakes and try them 1 wake at a time.
Old                05-18-2004, 12:07 PM Reply   
You guys are going to kill this kid. He is going to try to learn how to ollie, and think he has it down, then when he tries to ollie 180, which will probably be in the same day, 2 try's later, he is going to catch front edge and smack, hence loosing his confidence. Personally, I think it is easier to just do a 1 wake air to 180.
Ryan, it sounds like you have the 180 rotation down, but your not edging away from the boat. For example, if you are coming in heelside, after you complete the 180, be sure to get on your toe edge when riding out of it. And vice versa coming in the other way.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-18-2004, 1:15 PM Reply   
I think your problem is that you aren't completing the rotation. It's important to rotate all the way around - your hips need to rotate along with your shoulders - otherwise you land on you heels and slide out.

When you do the 180 let go with your front hand and bring the handle to your back hip, this will help you get the full rotation. It can also be helpful to turn the handle so that your thumb is pointing down - this helps bring your shoulder around. Once you get the rotation it will be easier to land correctly and ride away on your ts edge.
Old     (cool_dude)      Join Date: May 2004       05-18-2004, 4:33 PM Reply   
Thanks for thinking of my face matt, ha ha, but nothing really smashes my confidence if i catch an edge i try it again. I always go in heelside if that helps.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       05-18-2004, 5:04 PM Reply   
Ryan, if u can get switch (just by doin a little surface slide 180) get comfortable riding switch before you try to do a trick that puts you in that position... I remember when I was learning 180's thats what keps messing me up, I'd get the rotation, land, and not be able to ride it beacuse I was so uncomfortable riding switch. Good luck!
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-18-2004, 7:20 PM Reply   
sorry Ryan, it was the way i first learned 180's, they are good to practice
Old                05-18-2004, 9:09 PM Reply   
you might be rotating to early. Try to think of it as a regular wake 2 wake jump..and then once your in the air and you realize its a good one...throw the 180 down. Toeside 1s might be easier to start with.. Make sure when you land you land edging away from the boat
Old                05-18-2004, 10:23 PM Reply   
Hey,
I agree with bill. I am in the process of perfecting my wake 2 wake 180s and that was my first problem. When I first tried it, I wasn't rotating enough and I was landing so the back of my board was pointing almost directly at the boat. I had the same problem where my board would just slip out from under me and I would end up on my a$$. Once I learned to get the full rotation ( almost to where it feels like your back is to the boat) I was able to land them a lot more consistantly. I hope this helps.
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-18-2004, 10:57 PM Reply   
speaking of riding switch-should your feet be centered on the board and at the same angle to make riding switch easier. Im sort of having the same problem as cool dude. I can land the 180 but Im so uncomfortable riding switch I go down quick. My stance on the board now is a little farther to the back of the board with my front foot at a slight angle. Im just wondering if my feet were positioned evenly and centered if it would make riding switch more comfortable or is something you just have to get used to.
Old     (cool_dude)      Join Date: May 2004       05-19-2004, 5:43 PM Reply   
I'm having trouble still. I can't do i w2w:-( i completly suck right now. Ha HA. I go in toeside. Still but i'm keep landing on my back. Thanks for the tips. I'll try em out saturday and get back to you.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-19-2004, 6:08 PM Reply   
whatever you do DONT JUMP, just edge up the wake and pull the handle to your back and i should bring your board around 180
maybe this will help
Old     (cool_dude)      Join Date: May 2004       05-19-2004, 6:42 PM Reply   
so dont get in the air at all? but that's all i want to do? get in the air and turn. Do i not get in the air first then get up there?
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-06-2004, 4:06 PM Reply   
Ryan, if you're landing on your back, your problem is very likely the location of your hands (and rope handle) while you're in the air.

For me, i don't even concentrate so much on the rotation as I do concentrate on keeping the rope low (waste level or below, and you really have to focus on it) while i'm in the air, then shifting the handle from one side of your body to the other, still keeping it down low, and doing a very pronounced push with the handle. If you do that, your board will turn, and it won'd slip out from under you.

Generally when you go in toeside, your hands can tend to get away from you, and end up around your upper chest. When that happens, the boards always going to slip out from under you, no matter how much you try to rotate or focus on the landing...
Old                07-06-2004, 4:27 PM Reply   
There are many possibilities for my you may be doing this.

1) The first and most common problem is not being comfortable riding switch. If you are not comfortable riding switch it is gonna be hard to stick the TS landing. To practice riding switch, either get up switch, do a surface 180, lipslide 180, or ollie 180.

2) Another common problem with HS FS 180s is starting your rotation too early. This will cause you to go off axis. Wait for your wakeboard to release from the wake, then start your rotation.

3) A tip for sticking the landing is to point the handle down, as if you were putting it into your pocket, perpendicular to the water. Try to land on your toes and edge while your landing. Remember, use one hand for the rotation, get the handle to your ass, and point the handle down, while landing on your toes.

4) It is easier to do this trick one handed (prepares you for when you want to grab it eventually too). Do a progressive edge, wait for the pop, and pull the handle with your back hand to your back hip, and start the rotation.

Phew ok I think that about covers it.
Old     (cool_dude)      Join Date: May 2004       07-10-2004, 6:56 PM Reply   
I figured it out myselft. I came in from the wrong side so as soon as a jumped up i'd have to let go with one hand and i wouldnt do it. I can do it everytime now from the other side.