Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 17, 2003

Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-29-2003, 4:30 PM Reply   
What is the best approach for getting decals off of the boat?

Heat gun? If so, how?

Do you think a power washer can work?
Would that be too harsh on the gel coat?
Old    walt            09-29-2003, 4:41 PM Reply   
Wait for a nice hot day and peel them off. Then clean with alcohol. Or use a heat gun to warm them up.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-29-2003, 5:24 PM Reply   
Heat gun for sure. If they leave adhesive behind there are several removers you can get to take it off. The best remover, in my opinion, is 3M adhesive remover, but you have to find a place that deals w/ paint and stuff to probably find that. There is also this stuff called "OOPS" or something like that at WalMart in a metal can that is mostly white. It seemed a lot like the 3M stuff and worked well for me. Good luck...
Old    tribal            09-29-2003, 9:15 PM Reply   
Hair dryer works,then goof off to remove the glue residue.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-30-2003, 6:25 AM Reply   
i used a heat gun. pealed right off. i then just used the car wax/polisher nu finish and it took the glue right off.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-30-2003, 10:51 AM Reply   
Dane, you should talk to Rory about this.
Old     (highrider)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-01-2003, 7:20 AM Reply   
So - heat gun to take it off. How about putting it on? I have an x-star and want to replace the bix 'x-star' stickers. Getting them off is one thing - but what is the best method for putting them back on?
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-05-2003, 8:55 AM Reply   
Highrider,
I just put decals on mine.The dealer advised me to get a hand held spray bottle, put two drops of dish soap in it and fill with water. Then spray the area where the decal will go and the underside of the decal. This will let you slide the decal into the exact position you want. Then apply the decal and use plastic scraper or credit card to "squeegee" any remaining water bubbles out from under the decal. If there are any bubbles that will not move, use a razor blade to poke a tiny hole in the middle of the bubble and work the water out of the hole. Mine went on good and adhered great. Good Luck...
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-05-2003, 10:23 PM Reply   
definitely heat gun. The decals just peel right off. I didn't have too much residue. I used some "goo off" and it came right out. As for putting the sticker on I recommend the same as rod. However I think I had a higher ratio of soap to water. Spray liberally all over the adhesive side of the sticker and on the boat. Just put the sticker onto the boat and squeeze the bubbles out. Leave the paper on the sticker until the decal in completely dry (a day or so)
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-05-2003, 10:38 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help. I got the decals off with ease today. Tomorrow, the boat begins getting worked for sun fade.
Old     (highrider)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-07-2003, 8:06 AM Reply   
Thanks Rod. Sounds like a snap!